The sub in an apartment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose G, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

To those of you who are apartment dwellers: I'm in a 24' X 12' living room space with open sides to a kitchen and hallway (which connects to back bedrooms). I want a sub for Music and HT, but I'm concerned that the neighbors will kill me. Now I don't listen at obscene levels but I do savor the experience. I want to feel the base without creating enemies. Is this possible? Should I still go for let's say a 10" sub vs. an 8 " sub? Do I still want to or need to go down to the 20's (Hz) or even lower? My mains only drop to (+/- 3) 52Hz. Any thoughts?

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

neighbors, i found, tend to be a tolerable animal, in most cases. they, too, dont want to rise from their seats and bark at you/your door. they prefer you "die-out" without their intervention.
    so - keep the levels sane, NEVER at sliping hours, and not too often. a night after night "expirience" is a sure path to very annoyed crowd. you will meet the local police squad.
    i'd say, keep it "airy", so you can treat yourself with a loud one without the guilt feelings.
    personally, all the above advice sucks...[​IMG] , get a house!

3. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I went and introduced myself to my neighbors and told them if they have any problems to just come up and see me and I'll turn everything down. I try to keep things to a normal level but sometimes I slip [​IMG], they know that I don't want to annoy them and I haven't had a complaint yet.

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Have you considered bass shakers? A sub turned down low and bass shakers will give good compromise to high SPL bass in an apartment.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

itai, the house is a great idea [​IMG] and next on the list after the sub. I guess I have my priorities mixed up.
    Evan, my neighbors have already made a remark after one party- that's "1" in the two years I've been here [​IMG]
    And believe me, I don't listen close to reference during the day.
    Darren, I've never heard of bass shakers. I'm going to do some research and look into that. Thanks!

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

I second this. Its no exception to a sub however.
    I live in an apt. and my upstairs neighbor has only complained once. As long as it is kept at a moderate level and not loud after 10pm, she doesn't seem to mind. I have a Tempest sub and it can definitelly shake the whole place but for an apartment, I can never take it up to reference levels so I decided to try some bass shakers. They really add to the feel of the movie, The bass seems louder because it shakes the couch but the volume isn't louder, it just seems this way for those feeling it. They're great for apartments.

7. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

I have a 2 bedroom condo and use an 8" sub, without any problems. The negative is that I have the sub located next to the 'shared' wall, so I went and got a front ported sub, which really helps with placement issues.

A good 8" will give you the punch you want, without the low, low noise/vibration that is likely the cause for neighbour complaints.
    I have mine calibrated so that it blends with the mains, and doesn't call attention to itself (unlike the previous cheapo 10" that i had). Also this sub goes fairly low in my size of condo, just not at huge SPL.

It sounds like I upgraded my mains, and unless you sit next to it (end of the couch) you wouldn't know where it was.

I have the Energy XL 8.2 sub - 100 RMS /400 watt amp, front ported, line level input x 2 - one of which bypasses the subs crossover, and front mounted volume and crossover settings.

Until I move to a townhome or house, this is the sub for me.

Hope this helps

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

This is going to sound very backwards, but:

Get the biggest most powerful sub you can. Then turn it way down. I know it is kind of a waste, but a bigger more powerful sub will be able to play lower notes cleaner, at a lower volume. A smaller sub will need to be turned up more to hear the lower details.

And one other note: If you can feel it, they can hear it.

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info everyone. You are opening my eyes. I too will most likely have to place the sub at the shared wall. A front ported sub! You're a genius, Paul. The bass providing more shake but the volume not getting louder is exaclty what I'm looking for. Thanks, Jeff!

10. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

itai, the house is a great idea [​IMG] and next on the list after the sub. I guess I have my priorities mixed up.
    Evan, my neighbors have already made a remark after one party- that's "1" in the two years I've been here [​IMG]
    And believe me, I don't listen close to reference during the day.
    Darren, I've never heard of bass shakers. I'm going to do some research and look into that. Thanks!

11. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I used to deal with the same issues until I moved into my current apartment. It's a renovated school building. There are thick concrete walls between every unit (in addition to the plaster, insulation and dead space), and the floorboards between each level are as thick as oak trees.
    My mains and center are against a shared wall--it's an 8-year-old's bedroom. When I first moved in, I put in my Star Wars laserdisc, jacked up the volume, and went next door to ask if I could listen for any noise. Nothing. It can be heard out in the hallway, but from unit to unit it's silent. I watched Collateral Damage last night from 1:30 to 3:30 in the morning at full volume.
    I put on my Jurassic Park DTS laserdisc one night (the goat scene), cranked it, and went up to the next floor and stood outside of my upstairs neighbor's apartment door. All I could hear was her very quiet TV. I put my ear to the floor and couldn't hear a thing.
    Thankfully, my apartment is on the bottom floor, so downstairs neighbors aren't even a concern.
    I'm not leaving this place until I'm ready to buy a house. It's an apartment dweller's/HT lover's dream building [​IMG]

12. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    I did basically what Evan did, except I gave them my phone number, and also invited them to watch a movie sometime. Worked out great, but I'm careful not to play too loud after say 10PM.

Also, I totally agree with what Brian said. I was afraid my SVS would be too much for my neighbors, but it turns out that the SVS is powerful enough that I can get a great bass experience even at low low volumes... its awesome, actually!

13. Iver

Iver Second Unit

I live in an apartment also with hardwood floors and not much else between myself and the downstairs neighbors.

In this situation, would a front-firing sub possibly create less noise for the people under me than a floor-firing sub? Or are the bass frequencies so pervasive and non-directional that the orientation of the sub's driver does not actually matter?

Also, with a bass-reflex sub, does the orientation of the port make any difference in the quantity of floor shaking?

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I know the perfect solution:
    Audiophile Headphones, a headphone amp, and bass shakers strapped to your back.
    You will "feel" the bass and hear it perfectly without creating any enemies.
    [​IMG]
    Subs are non-directional thus it doesn't matter which direction it faces.

15. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter