The Stunt Man: A Great Movie or Just a Mind-boggling jigsaw puzzle?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nicholas Vargo, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I didn't see a thread about this great, wonderful movie, so I thought that I would start one...

"The Stunt Man" is a great movie, has become one of my all-time favorites. It is such a different movie. Everything about it is great. The performances are astounding, especially from the leads (Peter O'Toole, Steve Railsback, and Barbara Hershey), the direction by Richard Rush is steller, the music by Dominic Frontiere is so perfect that it fits right into the tone of the picture, and the film's ending is pitch-perfect. It is so many things, and it succeeds at everything it sets out to do.

So what does everyone else think about "The Stunt Man"? Do you think it is a great movie, or is it too mind-boggling for its own good?

2. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

Bought this on a blind buy and somewhat regretted it...the film is so loopy and hard to classify that I'm not sure I really connected with it. Peter O'Toole's performance in it is great though...

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I think it is a fantastic film with wonderful performances from all of the leads! Although it takes a somewhat different path to get there, I think The Player owes a debt of gratitude to The Stunt Man. The underlying theme (about Hollywood) is very similar, IMO.