Real Name
paul young
JohnHopper said:
It's…
THE YEAR OF THE LOCUSTS
writer THEODORE J. FLICKER
director ARTHUR NADEL
with guest stars GEORGE VOSKOVEC, MICHAEL ANSARA, CHRISTOPHER STONE
co-starring PENNY SANTON as MA FERGUSON, JOHN ROPER as JERRY FERGUSON, RITA LYNN as BONNIE LEWIS, PHILIP AHN as MR. WU
I have S1-S4 on dvd and love the show. I remember some great episodes, like the following:
1. Letters from the Grave that starred Peter Strauss and William Windom. The episode was great due to inclusion alcatraz!
2. River of fear that starred an young Kim Richards as grieving daughter that blame her step father for her mother's death
3. Poison Snow that starred a young Mark Hamill. The episode was great as it talked about poisoning the drug, but in the end the cop's son was killed
There are so many great episodes that it is hard to list them all. I was young when the show first came out and was glad i was able to purchased the show on dvd.

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am indeed writing down the episode titles of my favorites and a few years down the road when I revisit this series (after having watched them all, of course), then I will concentrate mainly on my favorites, so I do appreciate all the info on them, John.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Also all three of Leslie Nielsen's guest episodes are well worth looking forward to, brilliant stuff! :tu:

Carabimero

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm looking forward to it--very much so. I remember my parents watching this show but pretty sure I have never seen it. Trying to do one episode a night or so.

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Season 5 arrived today from Amazon, and while I'm thrilled to have yet another classic cop drama completed, I've noticed something disturbing. The video quality of the Season premiere, as well as some of the opening title sequences, looks pretty shoddy and definitely not remastered. "The Thrill Killers" looks only slightly better than some of the "Cannon" DVD episodes, which were not remastered. The opening titles look far more grainier and washed out than in previous seasons on DVD. I'm wondering if they couldn't find the original master to clean up and had to use an old video transfer instead.
However, the remastered quality appears to be fine starting with the 3rd episode of the season, with colors being bright and vibrant, and fewer dirt and scratches, comparable to previous DVD releases (except for the opening title sequence for some reason). I haven't checked all of the other shows yet on the 2 volumes, but hopefully it's just "Thrill Killers" that's the anomaly.
I love "Thrill Killers", btw, because it's a rare instance in a show where the lead actor changes in which we get to see the actual transition/passing of the torch take place instead of it being explained away in hastily written dialogue as many other shows did when leads changed. Douglas seems more energetic and engaging here than he did in many Season 4 shows.
Thanks again, CBS DVD, for getting this one finished in record time--I had given up on it several years ago. Can't wait for "Mannix" to get finished next!

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
THE THING I LOVE ABOUT OLDER POLICE/DETECTIVE SHOWS IS THAT THE CHARACTERS LOOKED REAL. THEY WERE OFTEN MIDDLE-AGED, SOMETIMES OVERWEIGHT,ETC. I HATE ALL THESE NEW DETECTIVE SHOWS LIKE CSI. I JUST CAN'T GET PAST EVERYONE BEING LIKE 20 YEARS OLD, ANOREXIC, AND WEARING EXPENSIVE DESIGNER CLOTHES. DESPITE THEIR YOUTH THEY ARE SO BRILLIANT. UGH!

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
dhammer said:
THE THING I LOVE ABOUT OLDER POLICE/DETECTIVE SHOWS IS THAT THE CHARACTERS LOOKED REAL. THEY WERE OFTEN MIDDLE-AGED, SOMETIMES OVERWEIGHT,ETC. I HATE ALL THESE NEW DETECTIVE SHOWS LIKE CSI. I JUST CAN'T GET PAST EVERYONE BEING LIKE 20 YEARS OLD, ANOREXIC, AND WEARING EXPENSIVE DESIGNER CLOTHES. DESPITE THEIR YOUTH THEY ARE SO BRILLIANT. UGH!
I watch a few episode and did notice the quality for Episode 1 of S5 was very poor. I am guessing that the tape quality was in bad shape and difficult to clean up and/or re-mastered.
It is too bad after S5 the series was cancelled as Richard Hatch's character grows on you as you want him more. Yes, he is no Michael Douglas, but he still does a decent job.
The classic police drama is neat, but not really reality. The problem is that detective would not be hired out of college and would have to work their way of the rank and file. I do not any police officers that graduate college/university that did not first start as patrol man.
I am glad that this is another classic police drama that i can strike off my list now. I am curious now that Adam-12, Kojak, Hawaii Five-O, Starsky and Hutch, Miami Vice and SWAT are now released to see what the studios do next. I believe that Harry O S1 is out, so i am guessing S2 will come out next year. I will look at Harry O after S2 is released. My budget is tight now and i have over 97 completed shows now, so i am scaling back my purchases to just completed series now. I will pick up shows like Fantasy Island, Rookies and/or some odd ball series if they come to dvd. However, i think my purchases will drop off over the next few years as i have majority of the show that i wanted to add to my collection.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
I just watched the S5 debut too, and yes, not only is it not remastered, it's been presented in a syndicated version where it's split up in two parts (albeit with no episode content edited) because the end credits reveal clearly that this first aired as a single two hour movie special (based on names who only appear in Part 1. They really loaded up a lot of names for this one).
I find it somewhat funny that the terrorist thug on trial in the season debut is the same guy who became "The Most Interesting Man In The World" (one of the many dumb ad campaigns of recent memory)

Dave Scarpa

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think that's why the 1st two episodes are that bad because we're getting the split syndicated episode as I doubt the 2 hour version was available anymore, I'm fine with it as itis not edited for content other than what they did when they originally split them. Richard Hatch was fine and an able replacement as he still fit that Young "taken under stone's wing" profile. It was good that Douglas's leaving was amiable and that he could leave the series, it reminds me alot of when David Caruso transitioned out of NYPD Blue, except that by the time he left, He and Franz had almost no scenes together, because they hated each other so much.

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
I just watched the S5 debut too, and yes, not only is it not remastered, it's been presented in a syndicated version where it's split up in two parts (albeit with no episode content edited) because the end credits reveal clearly that this first aired as a single two hour movie special (based on names who only appear in Part 1. They really loaded up a lot of names for this one).
I find it somewhat funny that the terrorist thug on trial in the season debut is the same guy who became "The Most Interesting Man In The World" (one of the many dumb ad campaigns of recent memory)
I have notice that S5 the episode/plots seem to decrease in quality. I have watched a few episodes and they are ok, but nothing special. The role of Jeannie Stone by Darlene Carr was so underrated as she did such as fantastic job. I watch an episode Mark Hamill playing a 16 year old kid and that just did not look right as he was most likely 26 at the time. I think they could have found some younger actors to play the 16 years old and/or teen criminals. They could have used Jackie Earle Haley and/or other young actors, including maybe peter brady, danny bondaduce, etc all would have been closer to story line players in age. This episode was very relevant as it dealt with the criminal justice system, which in USA along with Canada is still a big issue.

tvdvdtv

Auditioning
Real Name
Shane
The Thrill Killers wasn't a two hour episode. It was originally shown in two parts, on 9/30/76 & 10/7/76. I haven't received my set yet, but I am surprised to hear that the opening credits were not remastered, while the episodes themselves were. Strange.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
If it originally aired that way, then I almost wonder if they used Part 1 end credits over Part 2, because I remember seeing the name of Marion Ross who only appears in Part 1 in the Part 2 end credits, but Fred Sadoff who appeared only in Part 2 as the police psychiatrist was not in the end credits now that I think of it.

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jack P said:
If it originally aired that way, then I almost wonder if they used Part 1 end credits over Part 2, because I remember seeing the name of Marion Ross who only appears in Part 1 in the Part 2 end credits, but Fred Sadoff who appeared only in Part 2 as the police psychiatrist was not in the end credits now that I think of it.
Jack,
The quality appears to be lacking on S5 season opener, it could be that originals were in very bad shape. I have not seen issues with S5-EP1 with other episodes. i was glad that Streets is now completed as it is up there Hawaii Five-O as one my all-time favourite police dramas.

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch S5 one last trick that had they beautiful Lee Purcell playing a prostitute trying help solve her friends death. Lee was amazing in this episode!! I have kind of grown fond of Lee's guest starring roles, especially on series like the Streets of San Francisco and/or Hawaii Five-O. She was a beauty that was so underrated in the 1970s!!

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I always liked her a lot, no wonder perhaps as she's a good actress and a pretty sexy lady. She was seen quite often in those days with numerous guest appearances on Barnaby Jones and Cannon. And of course in movies too like Mr. Majestic with Charles Bronson, Stir Crazy with Gene Wilder or Wes Craven's Stranger in Our House. She's had a really well-balanced career it seems between film and television, and now I believe her son's become an actor too.

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HenryDuBrow said:
I always liked her a lot, no wonder perhaps as she's a good actress and a pretty sexy lady. She was seen quite often in those days with numerous guest appearances on Barnaby Jones and Cannon. And of course in movies too like Mr. Majestic with Charles Bronson, Stir Crazy with Gene Wilder or Wes Craven's Stranger in Our House. She's had a really well-balanced career it seems between film and television, and now I believe her son's become an actor too.
Hi Henry, I have joined her facebook page and she seems to response to posting on her page. It may not be her, but could be publicist or someone else.

younger1968

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watch an episode with Desi Arnaz Jr and Jess Walton and it was a great episode. Jess Walton was cutie back then and looks still great on Y&R.

jt radar

Grip
Real Name
john connors
I watched the first four episodes on disc one and they looked good. The first looked as good as the fourth. The intro to eack episode is a little weathered though. I bought the complete season from Amazon .

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmjoews