What's new

The Strawberry Blonde (1 Viewer)

BiffGrimes

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Ogden
Hi everybody. I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but now
I've decided to sign up and join in. Apologies if I get things wrong. Anyhow yesterday was my birthday and I received the Warner Archive DVD of Strawberry Blonde. It's been over 15 years since I watched this delightful movie. Everything about it is perfect......so why no blu Ray ?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Welcome to Home Theater Forum! Glad to have you with us.

As for your question, I wish I could answer it. Many of us here could name dozens of similar titles for which there doesn't seem to be a good reason why they haven't made their way to Blu-ray except for the obvious one: lack of sales for classic titles.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The cost to produce a Warner Archive quality Blu-ray of a black and white, nitrate feature length production runs about $80,000, presuming no major roadblocks. There are a limited number that can be created annually.

I'm referring to a 4k scan, from an original nitrate negative, that would also be the source of all other derivative materials, such as a DCP.

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Harris said:
The cost to produce a Warner Archive quality Blu-ray of a black and white, nitrate feature length production runs about $80,000, presuming no major roadblocks. There are a limited number that can be created annually.

I'm referring to a 4k scan, from an original nitrate negative, that would also be the source of all other derivative materials, such as a DCP.

RAH

Thank you for that. The obvious question is: were the Warner Archive Blu-ray discs of black-and-white films, such as Yankee Doodle Dandy and The Picture Of Dorian Grey derived from 4K scans from the original nitrate negative?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Harris said:

RAH

So at say $15 a disc, they'd have to sell 5,334 copies to start turning a profit, generally speaking. That is an eye opener for the probable units sold of older more obscure catalog titles, that it is a stretch to even sell that many copies in a country of 320 million people. I previously wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem selling 5000 or so copies of less popular catalog titles considering how many copies of current blockbusters sell.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I agree with the gist of your post but $15 per disc sounds way too high to me. I'd be surprised if they clear half that amount. Let's not forget that some of that $15 goes to pay for distribution.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
We're talking Warner Archive Blu-ray, which actually sell for $18 and change for most of the titles.I would've thought they would be able to sell 5 or 10 thousand of those type catalog titles over a resaonable amount of time to make it worth doing, but that does not seem to be the case for just any catalog title.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robin9 said:
Thank you for that. The obvious question is: were the Warner Archive Blu-ray discs of black-and-white films, such as Yankee Doodle Dandy and The Picture Of Dorian Grey derived from 4K scans from the original nitrate negative?
Believe DG was. YDD may have been a nitrate fine grain. Don't recall.

But both are gorgeous.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks