The strangest thing I've ever experienced!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Artur Meinild, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Today and yesterday I've experienced some utterly strange things, and I would like to share them and maybe get your opinion on the topic.
    First the backstory, it's long and boring, but remember I didn't force you to read it! [​IMG]
    Ok, so I met this girl (it always start like that, doesn't it?) on the 26th of december. She live quite far away from me (app. 1 hour by bus and 2 hours by train) in a city called Fredericia. How I met her doesn't matter. I thought she was nice & funny, and we agreed to meet again.
    So the weekend 14 days ago I travelled an even longer distance to see her at her friend's boyfriend's place! We had a very nice weekend, and ultimately the 2nd night we kissed a bit you know... [​IMG]
    To sum up, the participants in this story are:
    Me: Artur (23)
    The girl: Lizzy (18)
    Her friend: Betina (18)
    A stranger: Jane (later)
    PS: Message = SMS
    So everything was hanky-panky (or hunky dory, whatever) until about a week ago, when Lizzy suddenly didn't answer any of my calls or messages. I contacted her friend Betina, and she told me Lizzy didn't want to talk to me anymore. Huh? [​IMG]
    Not a word from her. No explanation. Nothing.
    So this is where I did the cool thing! [​IMG] I wrote Lizzy a final message with the words: Call me when you grow up!
    I mean, if she didn't want to see me again, then she could just say so. To be honest, this is infantile behavior and a waste of my time, and I let her knew that!
    So..... what happened yesterday? I got the strangest message of my life. It said:
    Hello Artur. Now I've grown up. Do you love me? [​IMG]
    Ok, but what is even stranger is, the message came from a number I didn't recognize... However, my first thought was, of course: This is a message from Lizzy. Maybe she just needed some time to think about things, got a new phone number, and maybe things will work out now. But no.... [​IMG]
    As I soon found out, the number belongs to a girl named Jane, who live 20 km from Fredericia and doesn't know Lizzy or anyone named Artur for that matter. She seems to have as little clue about what's going on as I do.
    I also contacted Betina, and she told me that Lizzy still didn't want to talk to me, that she hadn't send me any messages, and that she definitely hadn't grown up! [​IMG]
    So what's going on?
    I've talked to Betina before, and she is very sincere and a nice person, I wouldn't think she could lie to me without me noticing.
    Jane also seems very sincere, I even called her to make sure she didn't know anyone named Artur or Lizzy or anything...
    Ok, so the last thing to this story is, that I actually sent Lizzy a message saying that I love her humor and her smile.
    I still don't have a clue to what this is all about though.
    I find it very hard to believe it's a conspiracy between the 3 of them, I mean why would Betina and Jane outright lie to me just because Lizzy is acting strange?
    And if it is a conspiracy, what do they get out of it? So far only that I've told Lizzy I love her humor, but she knew that already...
    I'm truly puzzled... Is Lizzy insane? Am I insane? Who is insane?
    Oh, and just so you know it, I don't feel bad about this at all, it takes more than that! [​IMG] I'm just not sure what the world is trying to tell me right now...
    Take care, comments appreciated!

2. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Artur, dude you've got me stumped. Sounds almost like a good movie! [​IMG] If I were you, I would do a little bit homework to see if it is a conspiracy. First, I'd try to get ahold of a yearbook from Lizzy's school whenever she graduated, no matter how long ago that was. This way you could search through and find out if maybe Lizzy and Jane were classmates or even went to the same school. This could solve the "conspiracy theory". Next, maybe have someone else, a friend of yours, call one of the girls' phone numbers and asking if they knew how you could get ahold of another one of the girls. Since they would be caught off guard, maybe they would slip up and actually "confess" to know one another. And finally, just to smooth things over and to try and get an honest response from Lizzy, I'd write her a letter just telling her that you are not mad at her, as not everything in life works out. But maybe including that it would put you at ease just to know why she suddenly changed her mind about you two. Throw in that you want to know so it may not happen with the next lucky gal! [​IMG]
    But otherwise, you're in a pretty weird situation. Heck, maybe it was just fate that you got Jane's number. Maybe you two are meant to be! Pursue her! [​IMG]
    Best of luck though!

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I think they're yankin' your chain. Besides, who in their right mind sends a message to a number they received by mistake asking, "Do you love me"?

It all smells too fishy. I'd wash my hands of the whole affair, but that's just me.

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Run Artur, Run! Get as far away from Lizzy as you possibly can. She has psycho-exgirlfriend written all over her!

6. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I'm going to echo the thoughts of Clinton and Dave. Just walk away. One girl doesn't want to talk to you (her loss), and the others sudden appearance is extremely fishy. Better yet, run. TF

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Ah...I can smell the cry for help from a fellow man!
    Short version: She's nuts. Walk away!
    Long version:
    The majority of women (but not all, of course, but they are extremely rare from my male-pig-dog perspective [​IMG] ) behave this way...they will suddenly cut contact and will have nothing to do with you. You call and call, but she won't return your messages. Or, you set up a date, agree on a time, and then she will stand you up a few times. This is normal, I am sad to say...it happens all the time. When a woman knows she is desireable, she will use these tactics (unconsciously most of the time...call it instinct)...play hard to get, and see how much she can get out of it with the least effort possible (now before you wave a feminist flag in my face, this also applies to men...and besides, I am confident of the decades of sociological research to back me up [​IMG] ).
    It's all a big mind game! This is where the man puts out the ultimatum: "I've tried to contact you, we seemed to be having a good time together, but now you've stood-me-up/won't-return-my-messages x number of times. So, goodbye! But if you change your mind, you have my number/address." And then walk away. Don't call. Pretend that you will do fine without her. Put her out of your mind. Find another girl or pursue that hobby. Don't stalk! Don't hire a P.I.! Forget about it! If she was really interested in you, she will call back. In the meantime, enjoy life!
    So your tactic almost worked...a nice, short, concise message that doesn't give your feelings away, and contains an implicit ultimatum. Good work!
    You pulled it off marvelously...except for that weird answer you got back. Hmmm, tricky situation. Like the Red Queen, just when you think you're catching up, you realize you're not going anywhere! Well...let's consider the evidence (yes, I find this fascinating and fun, so bear with me hehe):
    - Lizzy sends a reply, suggesting she is interested again.
    - Message originates from a complete stranger. Somehow, this stranger has your phone number. Likely has your address if your message was sent (I am assuming snail-mail, not email). This person left a voice message on your answering machine right? It wasn't Liz's voice I assume.
    - All her friends deny any reply was made.
    Possibility: The message was delivered to the wrong address. You included your phone number in the message. Jane in a drunken stupor (or maybe a friend of hers playing a prank on you) left a message on your phone. Liz didn't get the message, there is no conspiracy. Case closed!
    Can you confirm that Liz got your message? If she DID get the message, then something is up, and I'd stay away from her. You don't want someone who would lie to you, now would you? If she DIDN'T get the message, send it again and hope it is delivered correctly. Or just go find somebody else. [​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is the strangest thing that ever happened to you?

9. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Here’s my theory:

Jane doesn’t know Lizzy, but Lizzy frequents Jane’s house because she’s having an affair with Jane’s husband. Jane’s husband did something to tick off Lizzy during one of their fandangos, so Lizzy called you up from Jane's bedroom phone and, within earshot of Jane’s husband, left a message asking if you loved her, just to make Jane’s husband angry. Betina knows what’s going on, but she’s claiming ignorance to protect you and to keep the body count from growing. Meanwhile, Jane actually knows Lizzy from way back, but wouldn’t easily recognize her now because Lizzy’s had a sex-change operation. And, somehow or other, Betina turns out to be an alien. Or maybe a vampire. I haven’t worked that part out yet.

Anyway, it sounds like you got out of it just in the nick of time. This happened to me once, and I almost didn’t survive.

10. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Thanks for the creative answers everyone, but let me just clarify a few things. By message, I always mean SMS message, should have been more clear about that. And maybe I should tell everyone that I'm 23 and the Lizzy gang are all about 18 years old.

11. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

What is SMS?
    BrianW - You just copied that from one of your favorite soap operas, didn't you? [​IMG]

12. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

She probably used you to make her real boyfriend jealous; it worked and now they're back together. Her boyfriend is a WWF 'roidal freak maniac and practices all the moves and she is saving you from an ass beating by indicating to you that she does not want to see you anymore.

13. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

14. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I second Ryan's advice (although, I haven't had any experience in that area, thank goodness). I'd find someone more mature and more in line with your mental age. It's asking for trouble going after the immature ones.

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Artur said:

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Artur,

18. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian