What's new

"The Strange One" (1957) - Great Film!! - 6/16 release (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Coulmbia is releasing one of my most wanted films, The Strange One to DVD on 6/16 for $19.94. A pyschological study of sadism at a military cadet school, this was Ben Gazzara's (who is great as the sadist Jocko) & George Peppard's film debuts and the cast are all from the Actor's Studio in NY. Ahead of it's time (although they had to soften the homosexual content due to the production code) and definitely a film that ran against the grain of the typical Hollywood ouput of the 50's.

I highly recommend it....thanks Columbia!!

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, quirky and interesting little flick. Based on Calder Willingham's novel "End As A Man". Just as a point of reference, Willingham co-wrote the screenplay for Kubrick's "Paths of Glory" along with Kubrick and pulp scribe Jim Thompson.

Barry Gifford praises and reviews The Strange One in his book, "The Devil Thumbs A Ride and Other Unforgettable Films".

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
As I recall, there was a lot cut out by the censors- the homoerotic content was too much for them. On the other hand, I've always wanted to read Nightboy! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atalba