What's new

The straight dope on Componant *vs* S-Video on a 27" VVEGA. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, finally I have a new dvd player with componant output capability to go with my year old 27" Sony VVEGA which also allows for this and i'm going to finally go for this connection. For this past year i've been using the S-video input on the VVEGA with remarkable satisfaction, but those damn componant terminals back their were always on my mind! :)
Sure, i've read all the debates, how "you'll notice little or no differance between s-video and componant on a small screen bla bla bla..." So I am familliar with the debate. But I want the truth, i've been staring at s-video for a whole year, and I figured if their is even the slightest differance, especially to an anal retentive calibration critic like myself, i'll see it right off the bat after making the upgrade.
So what can I expect? If their are subtle changes, what are they? I've heard and read that componant video will greatly improve chroma accuracy, but again, this was in referrance to larger displays. How will it effect an 'AVIA' and service mode calibrated 27" VVEGA?
Thanks.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
John,

Why bother asking for others opinions about the differences, god knows everyone will see things differently anyway.

Just go out and buy a set of cables from a place with a good return policy (Wal Mart, Best Buy etc) and try for yourself.

Then feel free to let US know what YOU think you saw??

No sense in asking what we think, go out and DO IT.

Good luck!
Alfer

Eric_Lakes

Agent
John,

Theoretically Component Video is better than S-Video which is better than Composite (Standard RCA). BUT.... If you dont calibrate your TV right, S-Video can look better than Component Video. I beleive that the Sony Wega series can take full advantage of Component Video, So you should upgrade and calibrate with AVIA or Video Essentials ASAP. Just make sure you use 75 ohm Component Video Cables.

Well I have personally done comparisons with this. A 27" Wega using the sony dvps360 dvd player. The S-video cable was a Monster "video 3", the component cable was a Monster Cable "video 2". I saw very little difference if any at all on this tv.

I am sure most people will agree that there is a big difference between composite and S video connections.
The comparison between S video and component is more subtle, in some situations in might make a bigger difference than others.

Peronally, I would buy the component. In theory it is a better connection but eventually you will have a progressive scan dvd with a digital tv and will need the component cable. There is no sense in buying a S video cable today then two years from now buying a component cable for your new equipment.

but utimately it's your decision.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll put it this way...

My wife knows nothing about video. Nothing.

When I switched my s video to component video(both calibrated via avia), the difference was enough to make her notice.

Take this for as much as you might.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
If I had COMPONENT capability, I'd just go ahead and take advantage of it.
Folks like us (John) usually see the slightest differences in video quality...go for it already! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks