The Story of Qiu Ju is available on DVD now: China Star DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

The Story of Qiu Ju (Qiu Ju Da Guan Si is a movie I've been waiting for on DVD for just about forever. It wasn't supposed to be out, but I was in a Chinese movie store in Toronto yesterday and I saw it there, plain as day, sitting on the shelf. The label is China Star DVD.
    However, there was minimal information in English on the back: I'm not sure but I believe it's an region NTSC, or is it PAL? - my memory is a bit fuzzy.
    However I couldn't even tell if it had English subtitles. My Chinese is rusty, but it seems it has Chinese and that's it. Part of the DVD contents description was only in Chinese. I didn't open the package, but it seemed like it was in a CD Jewel Case, but with a larger cardboard box printed with the China Star DVD stuff, about the size of a DVD. It did NOT look like a bootleg.
    Does anyone know anything about this DVD? Plus, what about China Star DVD in general? I can't find a website for it.
    The DVD was CAD$28 (US$18).
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

2. Eugene Hsieh

OK if nobody has info on this disc, then how about the label China Star DVD in general?
    ------------------

3. Eugene Hsieh

OK I found it here .
    NTSC, all region. Only in Chinese. Out of print.
    I wonder if I should buy it or just wait for the Region 1 version, if that does ever make it to market.
    ------------------

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

China Star is the SIMITAR of Asia. Their products are fequently among the worst available, with worn prints & burned in subtitles. MPEG artifacts galore, etc. etc. Buy at your own risk. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Eugene Hsieh

Thanks Matt.
    Well I bought this DVD. Very strange.
    There is only one audio track, which is Mandarin obviously, but strangely enough the only subtitle track is also in Chinese, and you can't turn it off. Considering that many if not most of the people who can read the subtitles will speak the language, that makes no sense.
    There are no English subtitles. In fact there is no menu system at all. Stick the disk in and it plays. You can't pick chapters except from within the movie. (Total of 12 chapters.)
    Transfer quality is below average, and there is quite a bit of edge enhancement. And it doesn't look like the original print was all that great to begin with.
    Unfortunately, since my Chinese is rusty at best, and because of the very strong local accent used in the movie, I can't understand it. Oh well.
    At least I have this movie in my collection finally especially since it doesn't look like Columbia Tristar is releasing it any time soon. And at least it's better than the VHS version (except for the lack of English subtitles part).
    ------------------