What's new

The story of my story (D&D) (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi Everyone; As many people do, I've always wanted to try writing a full length work of fiction. Also like many people - I don't have time to dedicate to this task. I thought about it recently and I have opportunity to force some discipline on myself and do some writing. This won't be the book that I want to write, but it will be a great opportunity to work the rust out of my gears and get some much needed practice. I thought some people might like to follow my progress, so I am going to keep it in blog format by chapter. Here is a link to my first chapter. I have three up so far. Chapter 1: Freedom Isn’t Free. If you have an iPad you can download it as an ebook. There is a link on the blog. I am sure you will find some several many typos, flaws and errors. It seems every time I read through it I find a few more. Fear not; each time I put up a new chapter I also adjust the previous ones as needed. (typos, expand abrupt events, etc) The opportunity which arose stems from a Dungeons and Dragons campaign I am running for my family. Game night was an unmitigated disaster when it was Risk, Monopoly or even Jenga. I pulled out D&D because then my overly-competitive family couldn't fight over the win. It has been such a hit that my kids have started bringing their friends into it. (but don't tell the other guys on the football team! - LOL! No, really. Don't ) Anyway - the crew needed a log for their campaign. There is a long plot line which refers often to their past. A log is necessary. I figured it would only take 'a little' extra effort to present the log in a story format. Not only was I wrong, but I now have to make a log AND a story as they find the story unwieldy for finding info on the fly while playing... Grrr! Still though, I am enjoying the writing, so I will continue for as long as I have the interest. So there you have it. If you are interested please put up a comment or some encouragement now and then, either here or in the blog. I don't mind any criticism either so long as it is constructive. Please bear in mind - the nature of the topic makes certain plot and story developments impossible - and on occasion the 4th wall does come down - mostly as a result of the players just having some fun - but still - I like to think it is an engaging read. I hope you do too. -E

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
HA! I don't deserve to be in such good company. Though G.L. and I do have something in common - my mother used to babysit him when she was a teen. If anyone is interested I have chapters 4 and 5 up this week. They are much shorter than the others. Five is my favorite because it is the first time the group meets one of their favorite friends - who just so happens to be dead and not know it. Aaawkwarrrd! http://heroesofmolior.wordpress.com/

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'll read them when I have a quiet moment later tonight. I enjoyed the first sections. You better not let the estate of the Happy Birthday guy see it, though! They charge a fortune for use of that song (though, I don't know if that covers print). :eek:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think that song was written by two women. Anyway, the point stands. :) Good for you, Eric! Maybe you'll motivate me to get crackin' on the next draft of my screenplay. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks