What's new

The Sting: Universal Legacy Collection (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I watched this disc this afternoon. Although it's a favorite film of mine I hadn't seen it in at least fifteen years. Wow...what a joy. The poker scene still contains some of my favorite moments in the entire picture. Both Paul Newman and Robert Shaw are fantastic in The Sting, but they are absolutely, positively note perfect during the card game.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
"Right up there with Butch and Sundance"?

I'll bite - I think it's even better.

Definitely in the top 25 of ALL films of ALL time...

(and when you've got films like Star Wars, Godfather 1 and 2, Ben Hur, Casablanca, etc. in there... that says a helluvalot.)

FINALLY! Both this and The Jerk were dying to get into the collection.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Well I took a chance and went and bought this, and I must say I am very suprised. I kind of expected that this would be a good film, but was amazed that it turned out to be a great one. Everything about it shines, and it makes more modern caper or con films pale in comparison. I could see myself viewing this one from tiem to time to catch some of the dialog and little touches within the film I'm sure I missed, but I think thats a good thing where the film stays a step ahead of you and makes you want to see it again.

I think this, along with the other two legacy titles, Mockingbird and Deer Hunter, are both stellar releases (Mockingbird certainly suprised me with the quality of its DVD), and I hope Universal puts out equally great releases soon.

Anyone have thoughts on which titles they should add?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As the poker game scene seems to have come to the fore, I'd suggest that those of you with high end systems take a good look at this scene from a photographic reproduction point of view alone.

The subtleties of the colors and details of the fabrics used in the costumes, inclusive of shadow and light is astounding.

RAH

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Also regarding the poker game, the production notes reminded me of something I've kind of wondered about, plot-wise. The production notes say that the poker expert they brought in to consult on that scene insisted that none of the cheating be done off-camera, and that the audience should see all of it as it's happening. We do see Lonnegan hiding his extra cards in his lap. But I don't think we see...

...how Gondorff manages to get the four jacks into his own hand. I always thought he hid them in his shirt pocket, where he kept that lighter, and that he pulled the switch right around the moment that he lit his cigar during that final hand. Any other thoughts?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
No thoughts, but the card expert was John Scarne--I actually have a couple of his books on card playing and tricks.

Edith Head's costumes did induce a drool factor!

- Steve

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know both of these are light, and have little or nothing to do with the film presentation itself:

1. I love the box the DVD is housed in. It captures my sense of the film itself.

2. I hate the motion menu. Something that reflected the illustrations/title cards from the film would've been MUCH better: The image of Newman and Redford (which does not appear within the film) would've been pefect, but I tend to hate motion menus in general.

Why not a classy, simple menu without motion?

-mw

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i agree, very simple, very classy, quite beautiful packaging really from universal.
and that is actually what compelled me to pick it up as quick as i did.

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
Idle curiosity

Speaking of the packaging, which I also agree is very atractive-- is the paper label attached to the back intended to be permanently attached, or not?

A totally anal-retentive question, I realize, but am wondering. On my copy it is attached by a small spot of adhesive. The similarly styled and placed label on my new copy of "To Kill A Mocking Bird" is not attached at all.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Dave,

It can be peeled off. It is attached with that same gummy adhesive from Universal's release of Jaws: if you just pull gently will make it come off without damaging the back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mine, also, was unattached. Too bad it doesn't fit nicely inside the case. While I like the design of the case itself (even though I prefer slim cases over all others), I am disappointed there is not a single printed piece of information about the film, other than that loose slip slapped on the back, included with this film.

I'm not advocating any sort of booklet which might have driven up the price...but a simple insert card which listed the available audio selections and special features, etc would have been a great addition.

I'm so thrilled to have The Sting finally released that I don't want to overstate the packaging shortfall.

At least the same slip can be stored easily inside the To Kill A Mockingbird case. My TKAM slip was also unattached.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Speaking of packaging, I was suprised that Mockingbird's case was so well done. Almost liek a thick book of sorts, and the backgrounds and disc art look great too. I liked the menus for this one as well, with a montage playing to Elmer Bernstein's beautiful score.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely recommend this movie, its one of the best of all time!!

I can't wait to pick up the new addition, its the only movie I purchased in P + S version years ago, because its that great, and I had to have it despite the lack of widescreen version. I was really psyched to see that its finally been redone with the attention it deserves.

stevenHa

Second Unit
Can someone clarify which version is more accurate - the director supposedly filmed this full screen (which is what the previous dvd version was) but the studios cropped it before the theatrical release to make it widescreen for mass appeal ? Also, since I am interested in Albert Whitlock's matte paintings, is there any behind the scenes footage on this in the "making of" segments ? Thanks.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I slightly trimmed the paper information sheet on the back so that it would fit in the case (I think I'm advocating a modified aspect ratio for the paper information sheet:b ) As for the film, I thought the 1.85:1 composition worked well even though the director's intended aspect ratio seems to be in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks