What's new

The Sting SE on 09/06/05 See Post #133 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This, to me, remains one of the most bonehead decisions in DVD production. Lets just get this done!

Jim: I do exactly the same thing...except you forgot the forelorn shake of the head from side-to-side. ;)

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
I feel very strongly about this absurd refusal by Universal to give us a quality dvd release of The Sting. I had never heard that George Roy Hill had wanted the film released in the Academy Ratio. Both Mr. Hill and Robert Surtees, the cinematographer for The Sting are both gone, yet an answer could be had. Both Redford and Newman were close personal friends of George Roy Hill. If anyone knows, either of them would.

I posted this in the "Studio and Manufacturer Feedback Forum" over a year ago.

The thread is: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=144695

Dave Farley

Second Unit
TCM just showed this film recently, in 1.85:1. It looked fine, too. I can't understand the failure to get this out there.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Just bumping to see if anyone has heard anything recently about a new version......I keep thinking about getting the Open Matte version, but I would really like to wait for a 2-disc widescreen SE. This is one of those time where I really do care about extras. I would just love a Redford/Newman commentary.

Universal better hurry up, Newman is no spring chicken. Heck, they could put coupons/advertisements/whatever for Newman's products in the DVD and have $1 from every purchase go to his charities or something.....

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Aw, you had me thinking that there was some news on this, Jeff. :frowning:

Come on, Universal - where is this thing!??

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
There is a slight reason for cautious optimism, reported by David Lambert of tvshowsondvd.com. He posted this about a month ago:

Nothing definite there, but David Lambert is a better source than most, so let's hope it happens soon.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Just for the hell of it, I checked to see just how big The Sting was using gross box-office as an indicator.

I used IMDB as the source for gross revenue and an inflation calculator, found here: http://woodrow.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/data/us/calc/

In 1973 The Sting grossed $156,000,000.00. Adjusted for infaltion, (for the year 2004), that comes to $665,000,000.00. In comparison, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King grossed $377,000,000.00.

The fact that Universal has not offered a Special Edition of The Sting is nothing less than a monumental tragedy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And a bonehead business move. What possible advantage could Universal see in waiting on this?

I've probably posted this a dozen times here at the HTF, but I'm just amazed by it. With the release last week of Chariots of Fire, The Sting is now the only Best Picture of the last 50 years that has not been released on DVD in its OAR.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Also, the scenes for "The Jerk" in the DVD/board game SceneIt are anamorphic widescreen and look very nice. This leaves me hopeful that there are new editions of these films coming. I would love both "The Sting" and "The Jerk" Special Editions!!! Bring 'em on!!

Tony Scello

Second Unit
This topic always gets my blood boiling. Why Universal can't give us a decent SE in OAR of this great and popular film is beyond me. I refuse to buy the subpar product they've had on the market for many years now. You'd think this title would be a priority (and cash cow) for them but what do I know?

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Yeah, this thread dig got my hopes up.

Strange though, just a few days ago I picked up GRH's Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and LOVED it. And couldn't help but to see how well that DVD was done compared to the tragedy of The Sting, which was a Best Picture winner!

How come it's Redford and Newman films that get crap DVD treatment (The Sting, Cool Hand Luke, All the President's Men...etc)?

Real Name
Anthony
There IS news on this ! An R2 S.E of THE STING is listed for later this year. In conjunction with David Lambert's rumour, I think it's almost certain that this is on the way to R1.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Robert Redford spoke about The Sting on "Inside the Actor's Studio" a couple of weeks back. Apparently he'd never actually seen the film, and he sat down with his son and they watched it together, and he later mentioned that it was one of his favorite movies that he had acted in. He also talked about the genesis of the film, working with Paul Newman, etc. Lots of good info on how "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" came about as well.

(FYI, Bravo runs back episodes of IAS at odd hours several times a day, so if you set your Tivo with an appropriate keyword or two you'll probably catch this fairly soon.)

So for what it's worth, there's at least a little bit of buzz in Hollywood about the film right now. Keep pushing those buttons and you never know.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Man, you would think since YOU STARRED IN THE %^$&ING THING, YOU WOULD HAVE AT LEAST SEEN IT!! My god, WTH...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks