What's new

Pre-Order The Stepford Wives (2004) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81IP4TAdSoL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I kind of chuckled when I added that title to the Pre-Order Listing because Paramount should have released the 1975 film instead or at least release them as a double-feature on Blu-ray. I guess Paramount now owns the rights to the original film because they last released it on DVD back in mid 2000's.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yesterday, I kind of chuckled when I added that title to the Pre-Order Listing because Paramount should have released the 1975 film instead or at least release them as a double-feature on Blu-ray. I guess Paramount now owns the rights to the original film because they last released it on DVD back in mid 2000's.

I've been wondering for a while now what the hold up on the original film has been being released on blu. Columbia released it originally in 1975. Anchor Bay then was the first company to release in on DVD twice, first in 1997 and then again for the 25th anniversary in 2001. Paramount then some how got the distribution rights and re-released the 25th anniversary edition in 2004 to tie into their remake that came out the same year.

17 years later now and the original film hasn't seen any other releases since then. Is there some type of red tape that is keeping the film for being released on blu? Does neither Columbia or Paramount have any interest in the film anymore, if so then Shout/Scream Factory would be the perfect film for them to give the collector's edition treatment to.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Totally agree. It's entertaining in its own way, but doesn't hold a candle to the Katherine Ross version. If Paramount owns the 1975 film, they probably also own the original SLEUTH, as both were Palomar productions. These need to be upgraded from their crumby DVD releases.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Totally agree. It's entertaining in its own way, but doesn't hold a candle to the Katherine Ross version. If Paramount owns the 1975 film, they probably also own the original SLEUTH, as both were Palomar productions. These need to be upgraded from their crumby DVD releases.
The question of rights on Palomar titles is not that simple, as Palomar was part of ABC Pictures, meaning that absent certain circumstances, Disney would own the rights. Several of the ABC Pictures/Palomar titles were released by Kino as part of their agreement with Disney. The Stepford Wives was originally released by Columbia Pictures becuase [I believe] Cinerama Releasing had wound down as a distributor by 1975, though Sleuth was released by 20th Century Fox in 1972. Paramount acquired the rights to the 1975 film when they acquired the remake rights. The Anchor Bay releases were a licencing deal with Disney. Sleuth is even weirder when it comes to rights as it should be wholly with Disney at this point, but has been in some sort of rights limbo having something to do with [I believe] Anthony Shaffer's estate.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The question of rights on Palomar titles is not that simple, as Palomar was part of ABC Pictures, meaning that absent certain circumstances, Disney would own the rights. Several of the ABC Pictures/Palomar titles were released by Kino as part of their agreement with Disney. The Stepford Wives was originally released by Columbia Pictures becuase [I believe] Cinerama Releasing had wound down as a distributor by 1975, though Sleuth was released by 20th Century Fox in 1972. Paramount acquired the rights to the 1975 film when they acquired the remake rights. The Anchor Bay releases were a licencing deal with Disney. Sleuth is even weirder when it comes to rights as it should be wholly with Disney at this point, but has been in some sort of rights limbo having something to do with [I believe] Anthony Shaffer's estate.

After doing a bit of research I found out that the 1975 original film is currently owned by one of the biggest pharmaceuticals in the US, Bristol Myers Squibb. Palomar Pictures sold majority of the company to them in 1970 after they split from ABC in 1969. I don't know what Anchor Bay had to pay to license the film in 1997 and then again 2001, but apparently in 2003 Paramount paid around 8 figures to obtain the rights to make the 2004 remake.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
After doing a bit of research I found out that the 1975 original film is currently owned by one of the biggest pharmaceuticals in the US, Bristol Myers Squibb. Palomar Pictures sold majority of the company to them in 1970 after they split from ABC in 1969. I don't know what Anchor Bay had to pay to license the film in 1997 and then again 2001, but apparently in 2003 Paramount paid around 8 figures to obtain the rights to make the 2004 remake.
That's what it was! I knew there was something messed up about the rights on Sleuth and The Stepford Wives.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That's what it was! I knew there was something messed up about the rights on Sleuth and The Stepford Wives.

Not just those two films are own by them, the original The Taking of Pelham One Two Three was made by Palomar and that was recently released from Kino a few years ago. Kino must have a lot money lying around to pay Bristol Myers to release that film.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Taking of Pelham One Two Three was a co-production of Palomar and Palladium Productions and is owned by MGM outright, as the successor in interest to United Artists. There have been multiple DVD and Blu-ray releases, but all were either by MGM themselves [thru Fox] or licenced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The iTunes HD digital just upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision while the original film is still missing in action on iTunes and on Blu-ray.

Claude North

Second Unit
I think Elaine May's THE HEARTBREAK KID is another one that's owned by Bristol Myers Squibb.

Would love to see the original versions of TSW and THK given proper Blu-ray releases.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Seems I am not the only one pining for release of the original. And SLEUTH. And WTF would a pharma company want with these movies, anyway? They don't appear to consider them cash cows, so why not sell them off?

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Seems I am not the only one pining for release of the original. And SLEUTH. And WTF would a pharma company want with these movies, anyway? They don't appear to consider them cash cows, so why not sell them off?

Exactly. Large companies wind up with all kinds of "assets" through various transactions, and some of those can be held hostage for many years when they're so far removed from their core business. These movies are prime examples of that, and they're especially examples of two highly desirable and essential, proven titles. It's really a shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks