The State of "New Format" Disc Packaging

Discussion in 'Music' started by Felix Martinez, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Hi Folks -

I know many of us here have noticed the slowly dissipating SACD/DVD-A aisles in B&M stores, and there's been lots of speculation as to what that means - the end of hi-res, the DualDisc takeover, etc., etc. I just rec'd info from one of the labels that might shed some light on this...

"...retailers are now realizing that music consumers would rather shop for all their music in one location as opposed to shopping in different sections of the store by format. So, they are now starting to blend the ‘new format’ titles back into the traditional CD sections of their stores. To better accommodate their efforts, we are starting to re-purpose our titles back into standard CD-sized jewel cases and clearly mark them...new releases will be released in this configuration and catalog titles will be re-purposed over time as we replenish inventory."

So, all those fancy Super Jewel boxes (for DVD-A and SACD) are in fact goners, and it looks like we will soon be shopping for all our new format titles in the Red Book Jungle of B&M stores.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Yeah right- just watch all the returns they get from people who think they're getting a regular CD then return them as defective when they won't play!

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Aren't those Super Jewel boxes for SACD the same size as the redbook CD version?

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

They're using semi-transparent slip covers on some of the SACDs and DualDiscs to make sure that the designations are hard to miss.

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Yes, but even the latest SACDs I'm receiving from Telarc (not the label I'm referring to above) are now in the more "standard" CD-type jewel box.

6. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    That sucks. The SACD boxes are quite a bit sturdier. And they're easy to pick out on my shelf. Oh well, as long as the hi-res content doesn't disappear along with the cases.

7. Michael St. Clair

IMO, if this were done from the beginning, SACD and DVD-A would have sold better.