What's new

The Start of Decades! (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Whilst reading THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER on-line today,I noticed that they listed the best films of the decade. Surely their staff are educated enough to know that a decade ends in the year 10-20 etc. A decade start with the year 1 and ends in 10 not 9 as T.H.R. insinuated. They probably also thought that the new millennium started on New Year's Day in 2000 rather that in 2001 which was the correct start of the new millennium. Only one country managed to celebrate the new millennium on the correct day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So this thread isn’t about the best films of the decade but rather a miscalculation by THR??:huh:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Then why didn't you title it as "THR doesn't know when the decade ends" rather than its present title, since it seems to be more about THR making a mistake and less about greatest films of the decade?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Then why didn't you title it as "THR doesn't know when the decade ends" rather than its present title, since it seems to be more about THR making a mistake and less about greatest films of the decade?
Exactly my point too.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know people tend to look at this in different ways but it seems the way most people calculate a decade of films is beginning with a year ending in zero and ending in a year ending in 9.

So, 1970-1979 is a decade. 2010-2019 is a decade. Personally, it does not make much difference to me how they want to look at it but as far as I recall when they do these decade lists that's how they tend to do them.

So, for you the decade of the 1970s would be 1971-1980...is that what you prefer?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I know people tend to look at this in different ways but it seems the way most people calculate a decade of films is beginning with a year ending in zero and ending in a year ending in 9.

So, 1970-1979 is a decade. 2010-2019 is a decade. Personally, it does not make much difference to me how they want to look at it but as far as I recall when they do these decade lists that's how they tend to do them.

So, for you the decade of the 1970s would be 1971-1980...is that what you prefer?

It would me correct way and help to educate the un-deducated.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having said that...

Yes, technically, a decade goes from 1-10, since there is no year 0. I am one of those who is fully aware of this. This is how I personally choose to designate decades, and for this reason. The fact is, most people don't.

Then again... starting a thread for the sole purpose of pointing that out.

Shall I point out the incorrect grammar? Nah, that might come across as snobbish.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

I see it that way:
A decade is from 1 to 10, so this decade would end with the end of 2020. The last millennium ended with the end of 2000, not 1999.
Because there was no year 0. Our timeline begins with the year 1 after BOC, the former timeline ends with the year 1 before BOC. No zero.

But the 80’s for example goes from ‘80 to ‘89. The 2010’s from 2010-2019
Do you see where I’m going with it? ;)
Not the decade ends, the 2010’s ends.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Back to topic :P

I haven’t seen so many movies these last ten years, so I really have to give it a thought.
See u later ...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I go for the simplicity angle. Mathematically, the new decade starting at the beginning of 2021 is correct; however, the last thing I want to be having to say is, "I'm sixty but, technically, I'm in the last year of my fifties". It's cumbersome, pedantic and annoying.

Also, creating a top 10 greatest films list that starts at the beginning of 2010 and ends at the beginning of 2020 has zero life consequences and is more like a convenience because the transition from 9 back to 0 creates a more natural break between eras, even if it iess mathematically correct.

Ccreating a top 10 film list is pretty hard. In a decade, I watch so many films and TV shows I like that it becomes nearly impossible to pick out 10 that were the best.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Now it is THE LOS ANGELES TIMES film critics who yesterday stated that 'now that we are at the end of the decade' etc and went on to list their best films of the decade . Somebody should tell them that they are a year early as the decade does not end until the end of this year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now it is THE LOS ANGELES TIMES film critics who yesterday stated that 'now that we are at the end of the decade' etc and went on to list their best films of the decade . Somebody should tell them that they are a year early as the decade does not end until the end of this year.
I don't think they're wrong! I think most people in the States look at decades as 00-09, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89 & 90-99. If that bothers you then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks