1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Star Wars Prop Replica and High-End Collectibles Collecting Thread.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by STARKILLER1138, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    About my question, nevermind, I went through the thread and found the site, it was vaderpainter.com. [​IMG] I sent the guy an email so hopefully he can help me.

2. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Okay so I never heard back from Vaderpainter, but I went ahead and modified the helmet myself.
    I masked off the tusk sensors and eye lenses with masking tape and shot the entire face and neck (the dome is glossy enough as is) with two thin layers of high gloss clear coat, that alone brought the shine up considerably and then I waited until it dried and sanded it smooth and hit it with three more thin coats of high gloss and this did the trick.
    The entire face and neck now shine very much like the dome although there is some differences in the texture but it's negligable enough.
    Now, I want to do something crazy and i'm hoping you guys can give me advice on it. [​IMG]
    After the holidays I want to concentrate on building a full size Vader statue using Rubie's Supreme costume and a mannaquin. Now, everything I need including the mannaquin is available on the web (in fact I was quite shocked at how cheap mannaquins are on ebay) but I want to make sure that I get the right size costume and mannaquin.
    I don't want to buy an xtra large suit and find that it doesn't fit on the mannaquin. So, what size suit should I buy to fit a 6' + mannaquin? Any inaccuracies with the suit itself I can probably fix myself. Also, I would like to see if I can get the mannaquin to hold my Vader Force FX saber but all the mannaquins i've seen have their hands open and I need one that I can fasion into a fist to hold the saber (getting the glove on it will be a problem, though). I have no idea how i'm going to do that but i'll find a way.
    The Supreme suit also come with a helmet, the same one I have presumably so that means i'll then have two. [​IMG]
    Any advice would be appreciated. [​IMG]

3. STARKILLER1138

STARKILLER1138 Second Unit

Lou
    Bout time to dust off this old thread. [​IMG]
    John, have you tried the guru's over at the RPF? That forum is littered with customizers. IMO, that is one hell of a project. I commend you for taking on such a challenge, and I would love to see how it progresses.
    Travis, any luck getting the Vader double sig helmet? Are those starting to go for bargain basement prices like the non-sig was?
    It has been a while since any "collectible" updates were made to the lounge; but, I was finally able to add the Sideshow 1:1 Bossk bust. Like the other 1:1 SW busts by Sideshow, this one is nothing short of amazing. It is a little lighter than the other busts, and the clothing is sculpted rather than mixed media; but, it definitely works for this piece. I was a little nervous about possibly getting a damaged piece since it is limited to only 250 pieces, but #99 arrived in perfect shape. Here are a couple pics of the bust along with some of my favorit PS3 themes in the background:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More pics on my site (click pic in sig). [​IMG]

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    great pics of the busts.
    the bossk looks great too.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

[​IMG] Thank you, you've been a great audience! Be sure to tip your waitresses!

6. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    It'll just make it that much more special when you get it Travis. I have the non-sig and love it. I'm not into sigs though.

7. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    My newest addition to the Lounge, Sideshow Collectibles 1/4 Scale Scout w/ Speederbike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More pix HERE!

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I always get so envious whenever I come to this thread! [​IMG] Awesome Speeder! [​IMG]
    I have a problem that I could use some advice on, the velcro that holds the inside of the dome to the forehead of my Rubies Vader helmet keeps coming off, the sticky backing won't adhere to the plastic and i've replaced it twice using industrial strength velcro. [​IMG] It holds for a little awhile and then slowly begins to come off.
    Is there anything else that I could use besides velcro that will hold, perhaps bonding putty? I'm not concerned with being able to seperate the face and dome as this helmet will never be worn anyway.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

9. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    Have you tried clear silicone? Not sure if high temps are making the velcro not stick like it should, but there is also high temp silicone you could use. I'd post over at the RPF and ask the guru's there first before attempting anything like that though.
    Here's the link: The RPF - The Replica Prop Forum
    Hope that helps. [​IMG]

10. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
  11. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I would've loved that lego Deathstar when I was a kid!
    Hey, guys. Just thought I'd peek into this thread and show y'all my newest Star Wars scale model. It's the inexpensive Finemolds Y-Wing, done up in all her weathered banged-up kicked-around glory. I spent about 2 months working on her, and she took First Place and Best Sci Fi in the local model contest 2 weeks ago. I love the Y-Wing.
    100_67550.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    100_6756.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    100_6757.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_1.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_6.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_7.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_2.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_5.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO
    Y-Wing_4.jpg - Y-Wing - BADONGO

12. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    NICE! Congrats Jeff. How is the size in comparison to the MR Y-Wing?

13. Jeff Pryor

Hey, thanks man!

Believe it or not, that model is only 1/72 scale! Much smaller than the Master Replica version. I gave it an ultra-detailed weathering job, which might make it look bigger in photos.

14. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    It looks really good man. If I had that kind of talent, I could save some coin from going with Code3 and MR for my models. FM has a lot out there that I doubt I'd ever see even though efx is now taking over the SS scale and diecast models.
    Here's my latest update (about a couple weeks ago):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    Time to dust off this old thread. Made a few additions along with new cabinets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Older pic befor the Anakin PF:
    [​IMG]

16. Mark-W

Mark-W Producer

Mark
    Nice to see this thread is still around at the new forum.
    *sigh* I am, amazingly, debating whether or not to by the new Sideshow Vader life-size bust.
    Aside from the prop replica from Master Replicas, this seems like the most accurate, and with Anakin inside, complete,
    although I wonder if the dome isn't a touch flared out.

I expect it will sell out soon, so my debating will need to end one way or another. AAArgh!

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ I think most of the people in this thread can relate to your dilemma.

18. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    Update:

19. Jeff Pryor

Those are some really nice collectibles! I think my favorite is the trio of Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan/Darth Maul, awesome stuff!

20. STARKILLER1138

Lou
    Thank you Jeff. Yeah, the Duel of the Fates dio is an awesome piece. There are some other dios that are coming too that will blow your mind. Next week the PF Dooku comes home.