The Star Wars Fan Made Movies "Duelity"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norm, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    This little fan made Star Wars movie, Duelity is awesome! Since I finally got a DSL connection the other day, I decided to watch most of those Fan made Star Wars movies. After watching alot of them, by far Duelity is the best. If anyone wants to check it out here's the Link. Also on the site is how they made the movie, which is very interesting.

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I agree Norm. Duality is the best fan made film. It never ceases to amaze me what these fans can do in this day and age. Some of these things are downright incredible considering their limited technology. The technical apsects of this film are amazing.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I liked this alot too. It looked like it was professionally made. Not Hollywood proferssional , but up there.

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Can't believe this thread hasn't gotten more responses. This fanmade film is utterly amazing.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I disagree, Terrell. I downloaded the large version and watched it yesterday. I was hoping it was a 'movie', not an action short. CGI wasn't professional by any stretch and the lightsabre fight looked pulled directly from TPM. To each his own, but I deleted it right after viewing...

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Paul: But you've got to remember what these people were working with. They don't exactly have a Lucas-sized budget.

7. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Paul, this is a fanmade film, not a professional. These people have hardly no budget. This is the best fanmade film I've seen of Star Wars. All I can suggest Paul is to go watch the other fanmade films, then watch this one. Duality blows them out of the water. Not only that, the guy that did this had no prior experience with 3D modelling. The CGI in this is tremendous. The technical quality of it is amazing.

8. Christopher Bosley

Christopher Bosley Stunt Coordinator

For a fan film the effects are indeed impressive. Just wished they had put as much effort into actually telling a story.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Exactly. By the time Duality came out, the lightsaber battle fanfilm was done to DEATH. Sure, it's cool, but it's DONE TO DEATH
    As one of the pioneers of Star Wars Fanfilm (Fan Wars, also at TheForce.net), I remember when it was cool and novel, and even if you shot the thing on crappy VHS-C with $2 lightsabers from Home Depot parts, and spent a month of weekends doing the FX on a Pentium 166 at 352x240 resolution,rotoscoping every frame because you don't have the res or the lighting for greenscreen, it was still awesome and people loved it [​IMG]
    Suggested Fan Films with a story
    KnightQuest
    Rogue
    Dark Redemption (featuring an actual SW actor)
    Just fun
    PA Wars
    Evan's Star Wars Cinema (The Qui-Gon Show!)

10. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    I can't believe people are complaining about a little short movie. Its a story about the Two Sith Rule, and the new Sith apprentice battles to become the second in command to the Sith leader. There can only be Two Sith at one time, according to Lucas.

11. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

I agree that the technical aspects were impressive, given the budget and amateur nature of the film, but WHERE WAS THE STORY?

It was an action scene, no more. A story requires no increase in budget, simply some time and effort put into the characters and some thought into the overall on-screen action that happened.

It was mildly interesting from a technical standpoint, but nothing more, and frankly, the lack of story was what screamed "fanboy!" more than anything else.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

My favorite is "Legacy of the Jedi". Great ending.

13. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I thought that Duality was pretty damn kewl for a fan-made film. Nice stuff for a shoe-string budget.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Legacy of the Jedi does have a great ending, but it takes to long to get there.
    RE Duality: Right, it's cool. But then what? I look at what they did with that scene, and say, gee, wouldn't it be great to have a story to go with it?
    You keep saying, there's no money, no money, no money
    Story costs 10x less than FX heavy scenes, whether it's time investment or set dressing [​IMG]

15. Steve_E

Steve_E Agent

You dont need to have a massive budget to write a decent story on pen and paper. But.....it was designed to be a sequel to 'Duel'. Its cool how they did another duel but made it with much better special effects.
    I'd like these guys to do another star wars film but this time have a decent story......They could do some fantastic stuff.
    My favourite fan film is probably Seeds of Darkness.
    American Jedi and Knightquest are extremely good as well. [​IMG]

16. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

The first fan film, Troops, is still my favorite Star Wars fan film even though it's old. Duality had great special effects but I agree that without a story it wasn't too memorable
    My favorite fan film in general is Star Wreck V which is a pretty funny Star Trek spoof made in Norway (I think it is Norway). Anyways you can check it out at the fan film exchange website: http://www.fanfilmxchange.com/pages/movies/m00029.htm
    The film is subtitled and long (it's like 50 minutes) but I think it's worth the download time.

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Jeff, the only problem with the fan films you mentioned, is that on a technical level, they don't compared to Duality. From an acting standpoint, they are only decent.

Duality is a short film, and it tells a story without having to suffer through laughable acting. I think considering the severe limitations, Duality absolutely smokes the other fan films I've seen.

However, the films you mentioned are much longer than Duality and are different. Knightquest is the best of the ones you mentioned and is pretty good. Certainly much better than the others on a technical level. The effects are good, but not as good as Duality. The story is pretty good, but it's also 30 minutes compared to Duality's 5 minutes. But Duality has a polish and a technical excellence that the others don't even come close to. Not to mention a much more professional look. But they meant this film as a short, similar to Pixar shorts. The film is told through the visuals.

18. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Yet it fails completely at doing what Pixar's strength is: strong characterization and story.

What is the point of DUALITY? I couldn't find much of one. What separates the two duellists? Why should we care whether this guy succeeds or fails?

Compare it to Pixar's recent FOR THE BIRDS -- no comparison. And I don't mean technically (that wouldn't be fair). It is entirely possible (and even desirable) to flesh out some characterization in a 5-minute short.

With DUALITY, I was impressed with the technical CG stuff, I enjoyed the fight and the choreography, but I felt NOTHING for the characters. The ending, quite frankly, felt like a first-year student film.

I don't mean to take anything away from what the creators of DUALITY achieved -- they did a lot with the budget they had. But it's fairly clear that their interest was primarily making a fight/stunt sequence, not making a story. And so the final film suffers as a result -- it's a curiosity, nothing more.

19. Terrell

Terrell Producer

HELLO! Chris, it's a fan film, made by a couple of fans of the films, with opractically no budget and no experience. Nobody said it was as good as Pixar. Did you really expect it to be. All fan films suck compared to Pixar. That's not the point. The point is this was a short film. You're acting like these guys are supposed to be professionals. C'mon, these are fans people. Not professionals. In fact, far from it. These are people like you and me. Let's give these people some credit.

20. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I think that's his point...characterization and theme are free. They don't really need a budget. That probably has nothing to do with the film, but not everyone gets excited at a 5 minute fight scene. But hey, great-on to those two guys!

Take care,

Chuck