What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I somewhat disagree with that statement. G.R. had a great new Scif-fi show pilot in 1973 called Genesis II. He had gotten the go ahead for the series but at the last minute the Studio canceled it for the new Planet of the Apes TV series because they wanted to cash in on the movie sequels hype. It was even good enough for another network to ask for a new pilot in 1974 called Planet Earth with the same theme. Then there's the original robot series called Questor Tapes that never made it past pilot because the studio never understood it & wanted to many comical changes to the lead character, G.R. stood his grounded & refused the changes so they canceled it after the pilot. Then he did an X-files like pilot called Spectre, he was way ahead of his time & it hurt him.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You didn't use those exact words, but the implication was that Roddenberry was a really good producer who would have, say, made post-TNG Trek better or more successful. Putting aside the fact that he's stone dead, the reason we had Rick Berman running the show at all was because Paramount felt he could handle the job better than Roddenberry could by that point - which most fans seem to feel was the case, judging from the fans reactions to the seasons of TNG where Berman had creative control vs. those where Roddenberry was in charge.

Between TOS and TNG - four pilots that didn't make it to series, apparently in part due to his own obstinacy, the Star Trek animated series, and Star Trek: Phase Two, which became ST:TMP. That's not a good track record; that's not being able to get arrested in Hollywood. I seem to recall reading that he was not really well-liked at all outside of Star Trek fandom, which likely would have made it difficult for him to work with the various people necessary to avoid Trek's decline in both quality and popularity.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to avoid creating a new one. It is regarding a quote from Brannon Braga and I figure it may not be worth a new thread.

He's done with Star Trek. Some may have read this news and I had a good laugh over what he said about it.

Here's a link to the full story.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
I was wondering what news would resurrect this thread.

I did a little heel click and jumped in the air when I read about Braga speculating about refusing Trek duties.

I think Paramount should hurry and start producing something while his answer is still "politely decline".

I don't think Threshhold is going to have a season 2, then he'll be bored and looking for crumbs! LOL!!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Right, as soon as Threshold is off the air (and I don't have an opinion on that, since I don't watch it), Braga may find himself available for Trek, if the Paramount folks are stupid enough to call him.

Now, can we get Rick Berman to promise to leave it alone too? Please?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The news of Braga is a good enough reason to resurrect this thread. I just hope he doesnt come back.
I'm left cold by Threshold. I dont like the format of the show and I dont find it interesting enough to watch each week. With the recent moves, I am guessing it wont be around for long. Spiner will be needed a new job too. Perhaps one last Next Gen movie?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
More non-news from the Trekweb site; Mr. Berman has said whatever the next Star Trek franchise project will be, it will certainly not involve any of the past TV casts or creative people behind the camera. All new.

Anyplans for new movies or TV shows sounds like they're on hold.

Berman's comments.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been watching the fourth season since it's arrival on DVD earlier this month, and again, I am struck by how damn good these episodes are. I didn't care much for the leftover Voyager plots in the first few years of the show, but it became more of an ensemble in the fourth season and the writing is much sharper, and the characters more developed.

I know it has been said before, but this is the show Enterprise should have been from the beginning. It's a sad statement on the ways of the networks that the show was only allowed to take a new, exciting direction after it's fate was decided by the powers that be. (Once it moved to Friday nights and had its budget cut, the show was only kept alive to get closer to the 100 episode syndication mark.)

Credit to the cast, crew and writers for not simply treading water in that last season, and instead creating something great. If you haven't seen the fourth season, check it out. It will change your opinion of the show.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
I'll revive this thread. I never could figure out when and where Enterprise was running during it's intial run, but I've been voraciously devouring all the episodes running on Sci Fi.This is a pretty damn good series to me......and yes, I do like all the shows of Star Trek. I have to disagree with a view(believe it was widely held reading this thread from 4-5 years ago) that the title song was cheesy and bad. I LOVE the song.........it actually forms a lump in my throat when i hear it now. Of course, it could also be because I really like everything I've seen so far and other people just hated the idea,the show itself, and anything to do with the show. I just saw "The Cogenitor" and that was a good episode, although to be honest I had no sympathy for Tucker. It seemed like he was being unsmart and headstrong from the very beginning and the ending was a shocker........never saw THAT coming. Hopefully he hasn't seriously F*ed things up between that species and Earth for good:frowning:. Any other comments out there? Looking forward to the next time "Faith of the Heart" is playing:).

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
AS I said before, I never knew when or where this was playing since not everyone had UPN affliates and it played on other channels. Glad to see the only person chiming in was some guy telling me it ran on a network my city didn't have:frowning:. Doesn't anybody still enjoy watching this??

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel

I've never really watched the show but I liked the song so much I downloaded it from itunes. Still listen to it all the time.

I'm not a big Trek fan to begin with but it was more of a scheduling thing for me. This came on before I had a DVR so I just never was able to watch it.

I will say this: I did catch one episode from a Canadian feed that showed the hot Vulcan girl (see...I don't even know her name) taking off her clothes and there was a great backside shot of her which showed all of her. They apparently cut it out of the American feed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was just thinking the other day that I miss this show -- well, at least it's 4th season incarnation. SciFi has been running several episodes a week, and I've seen a few here and there, some of which I missed (mostly from the 2nd and 3rd seasons).

I still think the 4th season is what the show should have been from the beginning, and it remains a shame that it didn't get a 5th.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Try watching Galactica. Much better writing and doesnt need to fall back on scantily clad Woman to get the fan boys to tune in.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Galactica is a great show; anyone who enjoys science fiction should watch it -- heck, anyone who enjoys good TV should watch!

But that shouldn't take anything away from Enterprise's 4th season, which was pretty damn good.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

That doesn't stop them from showing the skin. How many times have we seen NakedSix or NakedSharon?

I love the show but you shouldn't fault Enterprise for doing that when BSG does the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks