What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

Tom J. Davis

Second Unit
That sucked!

The first episode was so good I was really looking forward to the finale. I hadn't read anything about it , so I didn't know that Riker and Troi were going to guest star.

I have to go now, I'm going to try and hypnotize myself into forgetting the finale ever existed.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I did not hate it by any means but think it would have been much better had they not mixed in the TNG story (and I'm a HUGE TNG fan) and done the very same episode (10 years in the future) but focused on the "Enterprise" crew/cast only and made it a 2 hr. episode.

It would have been accepted better by everyone and in the end, the show deserved that much... To say "Goodbye" their way.

They could have still done the 3 Enterprises thing at the end, it would have been viewed as "Star Trek through the ages".

I agree that the two previous episodes (with the Vulcan/Human child) will be seen as Enterprise's "true" finally... At least, by me anyway.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terra Prime was a great episode, and as some have said, the real finale for the series. Yes, it felt like Star Trek.

These Are the Voyages... wasn't good. It wasn't horrible, but it was nowhere near the level of excellence the show had this year. The scenes with Frakes and Sirtis didn't work that well, and Riker appears to having too much of a good time to be anguishing over a decision (which we know from seeing The Pegasus was a hard choice).

The difference between these two episodes couldn't be greater. In Terra Prime, each member of the crew plays a vital role and at any point in the show, every one of them is off doing something important to the story. In Voyages..., no one's that essential to the story, and Trip's fate is nothing more than a manipulative device that is intended to lend weight to the story (instead of coming out of the story, as such events should).

The difference is the writing. Terra Prime is well written and well performed, showing that this cast can really put it together when they are given something to do. Voyages... is badly written, and is kinda boring to be honest.

I hope the hiatus that Trek is taking is just what is needed to end Berman and Braga's contracts.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, that was bad. And especially for a show finale. Wasn't this supposed to be the Enterprise finale and not some continuation to the story of TNG? I love TNG, but still: why bring Riker and Troi to the episode where they had absolutely nothing to do, no reason to be? Riker's dilemma about telling Picard about the Pegasus wasn't a good enough excuse for them to be there, this should have been about the Enterprise characters, not Riker's. And the death of Trip... bullshit. And just a couple of scenes later they're all sitting calmly chatting and joking and nobody says anything like "I wish Trip could've seen this..." Complete bullshit. Really disappointment.

Final scene with all the Enterprises was brilliant, though.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
If they had to shoehorn it into a TNG setting, they should have just had a couple minute opener with Riker & Troi going into the holodeck, then kept the show entirely on ENTERPRISE, until just near the end, and come out with Troi & Riker to end the holodeck program and the show.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
That concept of merging TNG with Enterprise is not the worst concept (recall the episode in DS9 with the tribbles), but it shouldn't have been the series finale. But if they had to use this as the finale, there should have been a more plausible reason for Riker and Troy to be examining their history - perhaps seeing the crews reactions to the loss of a crewman (like Data in Nemesis, or Tasha)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd say the last scene of Terra Prime was one of the best scenes of the entire run. Trinneer did a great job there. I didn't absolutely despise the finale, but I wonder what was wrong with the D's historical library. That isn't what happened! :D

I will say one thing. As I did throughout TNG's run, I hated Data's linguistic joke. "Raincheck? Why do you need to check me for rain." :rolleyes:I think he's got at least a basic dictionary in that positronic brain of his. Actually, somebody should be able to use obscure slang around Data, and he could access his archived copy of urbandictionary.com to know what they're talking about.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
With 1 single show they completely destroyed any progress for Season 4.

I can't believe those two idiots think they are doing anything at all that anyone likes.

It was not only bad, it was just plain stupid, a total lack of intelligence shown on any characters part....

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
So, I'm the only one here who actually liked the episode?! Okay... For the record, I consider it a lot better than the Voyager finale (not difficult), as well at TNG's (which was awful throughout, apart from its final scene).

Good point! Trip was acting so out of character. Very fishy indeed. Who's to say what really happened... :)

Bob-R

Agent

If you ignore a couple of unintentionally funny lines, 'Spock's Brain' is a great episode, on the other hand, 'These Are The Voyages...' is not. As many people point out, the ENTERPRISE finale is supposed be about the crew of ENTERPRISE, not the Enterprise-D, Riker, or Troi. Here are the problems with 'These Are The Voyages...':

If you haven't seen the episode, SPOILERS below...

-The unbalanced flow of the episode itself with the camera turning to Riker every 5 seconds.
"Like we don't know he's there!" (sarcasm)

-Even though the acting was top-notch, Trip's death was unnecessary, it was not heroic and it certainly didn't prove anything. Where were the M.A.C.Os during the intruder alert, on a coffee break?

-Why does Riker have a subplot in a Star Trek: ENTERPRISE episode?

-Not getting to hear Captain Archer's speech at the end, if it was so important then why didn't we get to hear it? If Riker's 'Pegasus' subplot was removed, there would've been plenty of time for it.

-I wasn't bothered by it, but some people may have considered seeing Riker and Troi messing around on the NX-01 bridge, a slap in the face.

-The only epic scene in the episode, and also just about the only thing they got right, is the flyover shots of the Enterprise-D, NCC-1701, and the NX-01 with the voiceovers of Stewart, Shatner, and Bakula. A great scene! If they put this ending on 'Terra Prime', it would of been perfect,
Okay, say after the Trip/T'Pol scene at the end, show a shot of empty space, you hear a piece of Archer's moving speech from the conference, and then the shots of the ships with the voiceovers. It would've had an even greater emotional impact.

All in all, even though I think TATV is a 'good' episode, it is fatally flawed as a final episode. After seeing the episode that aired before this one, may I repeat a line uttered by John Frederick Paxton,

"Terra Prime, Forever!"

'Terra Prime' was Star Trek: Enterprise's finest hour.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Philip, I liked it. But, that doesn't mean I accept everything that happened. In reality, Trip and T'Pol got back together right after Terra Prime, and eventually entered into a three-way relationship with Hoshi. At least, that's how I see it. ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I'll have to disagree. Voyager may not have picked the
best plot to go out with but at least the plot was c oherent and didnt look that had been written by a 8th grader. No wait, I am sure most anyone who was a fan of any Trek show could have come up with something with more emotion and finality than B and B were able to do.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I guess I should augment some of what I said, too. I also think that the concept of some future characters looking at a holodeck simulation could have worked. (In fact, that was the idea behind "Living Witness," a very rare hour of greatness for Voyager.) If they were going to do something like that, it should have been in the middle of the season somewhere; it was just not a good idea for the series finale.

As I said in my earlier post, if they really were trying to give the franchise a "goodbye" (at least for now), I can think of no better way than for us to have actually heard Archer's speech. The birth of the Federation is the ideal ending for a prequel series to the original Star Trek, and I think that idea alone could and should have carried the final episode. There was no need for the forced action subplot with Shran, the almost throwaway death of Trip (honestly, I've seen one-shot guest stars given a more respectful departure than this), or, least of all, the Riker/Troi mess.

"These Are the Voyages..." did have its moments, but very few of them. And again, I don't mind having Next Gen characters looking in on the crew, just not in the last episode.

And I do think it was worse than the Voyager finale. Even though it didn't do anything with the aftermath of its characters' return, at least Voyager's last show was actually about its own crew.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
The finale was the first, and probably last episode of "Enterprise" I watched. I only did so because I'm a fan of TNG (and DS9). If I were an actor on "Enterprise," I'd be pretty pissed with the episode. Realizing that this is going to be the last 'Star Trek' on TV in or in theaters for a while, the writers turned it into a last hurrah for TNG. And I have to say, I was a bit nostalgic for more TNG when I saw all the sets. For a second I fantasized about bringing the TNG cast back together and picking up after the series finale.

As for the episode, they deleted the entire plot point from the TNG episode that is all about Riker's conflict -- that the crew mutinied, he defended the captain, but in retrospect, as a more mature officer, he realized that he did the wrong thing. Furthermore, IIRC, he only told Picard when they were stock in the asteroid. So it was a choice made out of necessity.

I shouldn't judge a TV show by watching just a single episode, let alone the series finale, but "Enterprise" didn't feel like Star Trek to me. Everything about the episode from the mise-en-scene to the editing felt very generic and massed produced -- I could have been watching almost any show on the Sci-Fi Channel. It felt like it was trying too hard to pass itself off as a feature film. TNG established a style that both DS9 and more or less Voyager (never really watched it much) that helped distinguish the show from all the other sci-fi out there.

And speaking of failed 'Star Trek' shows, why didn't they ever just give Riker a show?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

That's a big reason the finale was so disappointing; for most of this past season, Enterprise (finally) did feel like Star Trek, and pretty good Trek at that. The finale, however, was a return to the kind of contrivances that characterized the first two seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks