The St. Louis Rams are the greatest show on earth

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Nov 23, 2001.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Why? Because they play classic CFL football.

This sunday afternoon will air the 89th Grey Cup, the Canadian Football League Championship Game.

If you have satellite and can perhaps pull in a Canadian station, Kickoff is at 6 eastern on CBC and TSN with pregame starting as early as 3eastern on CBC. There is no US TV contract.

Check it out if you can.

It is a dying breed.

2. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

As a member of STL,
    I proudly accept your nomination for best NFL team.

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

IF they can win two games back to back like the Chicago Bears at the last second in overtime then maybe I'll consider them the greatest show on earth. [​IMG]

4. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Paul,

Yes, this Sunday is the Grey Cup featuring my Bombers and the Stamps. Just to stir things up, I think the Bombers are going to crush Calgary by 4 TD's, led by CFL MVP Khari Jones.

As for the Rams, nothing like wide open, full-octane offense which is what the CFL is all about.

5. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    Too bad THE BEARS haven't played anyone that hard this season. Ha, the Rams cant beat the Saints. Tampa Bay, lol... I wish them the best of luck this week. But, the Bucs are gonna get their a**es kicked by the Rams.

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I'm missing the game to travel in a blizzard to go to the zoo in calgary...do i get my citizenship revoked if i miss the game?
    oh ya and go Stamps baby, heaven knows they'll need all the blessing they can get against the mighty blue bombers. But even if they do lose...at least their water isn't gross like winnipegs[​IMG]

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Well, this wasn't exactly where I was going with this thread.
    My point was that what makes people excited about teams like the St. Louis Rams that have been called the greatest show on earth, what makes it so great is the style of play that has been the mainstay of CFL football for many years prior.
    The CFL is a dying breed because the commissioner is horrible and he and the owners are running this brand name into the ground. 2 of the 3 biggest market teams (Toronto and Vancouver) are in the worst financial shape of them all. They are adding another team in Ottawa again, which dilutes talent, and there is a great movement of players to the NFL which drains talent. Fewer and fewer Canadian players still play in the CFL as all teams are pushing US content limits under the rules of othe game.
    This grey cup is played in Montreal, and with having 2 'western' teams in the final, apathy will be at an all time high. No one watches the games anymore. It is a dying breed. How much longer will we be able to watch 'the greatest show on earth' right here in our own back yards?
    Enjoy it while it lasts. And if you NFL'ers wouldn't mind seeing something a little 'different' than their usual sunday tv listings, give the game a shot. It only comes once a year.
    Mark, you're going to the ZOO TOMORROW?? ugh.... i have to tell you that it SNOWED yesterday, can you believe that ?? Cold winds lately, the chinook is gone. If I didn't already have way too much on my plate This weekend and til wednesday when I fly to victoria, I'd say lets go for coffee, but we'll do that when and if we get another calgary meet down the road. Enjoy your trip!
    Daryl, we shall see my friend, we shall see. Never underestimate the red and white [​IMG]
    Reginald, I am not averse to the NFL at all and the antics of Mike Brown. That was amazing! 2 games in a row!??! my god...
    NathanP ... I'm not really saying that St. Louis is the best football team in the NFL. (they may be this year, we shall see), but I am saying that if you like the fast paced high octane big play game that the St. Louis Rams are all about, check out the Grey Cup this Sunday if you can get either of those Canadian channels I mentioned on your sattelite or whatever. You will not regret it. The CFL has been that style for most of their 89 years. VERY fun to watch!

8. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Kurt Warner:

"Okay guys, everyone go long and I'll throw it to ya"

9. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

Sorry, I saw you were from Calgary, so I couldn't resist.

We'll see what happens with Ottawa returning. Yes, there will be less QB talent to go around, but as long as Winnipeg is allowed to be back in the West, everything is good.

I think the Rams will win the Super Bowl this year. As long as Warner stays healthy, with all the weapons he has, nobody but themselves can stop them.

10. Mark Dubbelboer

Oh i know it snowed yesterday paul, in fact i was out at 8am waiting in line for tickets to see nickelback when they come here (lethbridge) and it was pretty damn cold out there...for 3bloody hours!
    I have to, ironically, buy some extreme weather clothing at MEC and since the zoo is so close [​IMG]
    Predictions on scores for the grey cup tomorrow?
    Winnipeg 33
    Calgary 23
    *I love estimating CFL scores because they're so damn wacky!

11. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Daryl - hey that's alright, I'm a BC fan anyways. I've just been here for 3 years. Lions fan, hear me roar! Actually I have a long st

Mark - ummm... Winnipeg 41, Calgary 26. There's a MEC near the Zoo? New one on me. I only knew about the one by Safeway on 8st and 11ave downtown. Nickleback should be a good show, how much were the tix??

Let the wackiness begin!!

12. Mark Dubbelboer

Paul,
    I guess close is more of a relative term than anything when I use it [​IMG]
    I mean if i'm driving two and a half hours to buy a pair of pants, I'm going to be more than willing to drive another 10minutes to see animals....even if it's damn bloody cold.
    Nickelback tickets were 22.50, default is opening for them. It should totally kick, it was pretty nasty waiting in line for that long especially since everyone else was like 16 and to me that's the most annoying age. no offense to anyone who's 16.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

What surprises me the most about the Rams is their great combination of strength, speed and skill on offense. They aren't just a finesse team. Faulk will run in there and put a helmet on you. But man, those receivers can flat out fly, and they have a QB who can deliver the ball on cue. Couple that with a great running attack and a playbook second to none (although the Oakland Raiders have a wonderful playbook as well)...it just makes me sad to be a Los Angeleno. I can't imagine if both the Raiders and the Rams still played here with these teams (and yes, I know if they were still here they probably wouldn't have these teams, but I'm playing "What If" now). I wouldn't know what to do on Sundays, driving on the freeways trying to get from one stadium to the next! [​IMG]

14. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I sometimes wonder how those receivers would fare individually on a middling team. And doesn't the CFL use a bigger ball?

15. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Well if the Rams are the greatest show on earth I'll pass!

Bucs 24

Rams 17

16. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Wow, let me be the first to say I was not at all impressed with the game. it was won by mistakes and not at all about what classic CFL football is about.
    Yes the ball is slightly bigger, don't know how much though.
    Mark, I can't believe how much it's been snowing here. I guess it's alright for the first snowfall of the year, but this is probably the worst few days I've seen in Calgary in my 3 winters here. Hoping for a Chinook. How was the Zoo? did you see the elephants shivering and the giraffes wrap their necks around their bodys to keep warm? all the water tanks frozen over? [​IMG] I've never been to the Zoo during the winter. Would be interesting I guess. You should have caught a flames game when you were up here... I'm so glad I'm going to Victoria this weekend... no snow..

17. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Boy, I couldn't stay up to watch the entire game. It sounded like it was a good one though. Doesn't it always seem like a disaster when a big dog team loses, no matter how good the opponent?
    I'm just glad that the Bears were able to beat the Bucs. [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Yeah, the Rams were great last night. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I watched last weeks Ram game against NE which was a dandy. I think several of the Rams players got banged up in that game.

Even the very good teams can't be deep as the old powerhouses due to salary cap, etc.

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

All teams lose (except Miami '72). It's how they handle the loss that determines how good a team they will be come playoff time. If the Rams learn and grow from this experience, they can still secure home field advantage and make a good run in the playoffs. 8-2 isn't the end of the world for them.