The soundtrack to Chicago on SACD, how is it?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff Adams, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I did a search a found nothing on this. I was wondering how good is it? I know the soundtrack is good, I have the cd, I was just wondering how much better the SACD version was? Is $14.99 worth it? Thanks.

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I would be curious to know as well..

3. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Anybody????????????? This was a very popular soundtrack, I am surprised nobody has the SACD.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I would have it...if it was released on DVD-A.

I don't suppose there's any hope of that, is there? [​IMG]

I glance at it...sitting over there in the SACD section....wishing.....wishing....

The 5.1 mix and the music on the actual DVD of the film sound awesome. Would love to hear a surround mix of just the music.

5. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

Hardcore types will beg to differ, but I played my Chicago cd in Pro Logic 2 music mode, and then compared it to the DVD, and concluded that the surround experience was almost the same.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Okay, I will answer my own question. The SACD of Chicago sounds stellar. I would highly recommend it if you have an SACD player. I spent a lot of time last night listening to SACD on my system and was very impressed. The 5.1 mix was very fun to listen to although most of the time I prefer 2 channel audio for music. Anyway I am not a review expert but the SACD version of Chicago sounded more detalied,open and lifelike compared to both the cd and dvd.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I picked this up yesterday and was very pleased with the sound quality of the SACD. So far, I've only made one listening pass of the 5.1 soundtrack, but the clarity of the recording really stands out. The 5.1 mix is well done, IMO. I have yet to give the stereo track a spin.

Too bad it's not a hybrid disc, though. I would love to listen to the soundtrack in my car, but I'm not buying a 2nd copy.

8. Adrian D

Adrian D Stunt Coordinator

I would have bought it if it was a hybrid disc.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I felt the same way, Adrian. The only reason I relented was I used a Best Buy gift certificate from Christmas, so there was no out of pocket expense.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul Agent

I have it. Love some of the songs. Beautifully recorded sounding through a Sony SCD, Denon used as a passthrough (AL-24 circuitry on the AVR-3800) preamp, and Sherbourn amp with VTF-3 subwoofer and top of line Para Reference speakers.

I would say well worth the $14 i paid for it a CircuitCity.

Hope this helps]

Bob