What's new

The Sounds of Gunfire on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jorossy

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is probably a weird topic (didn't get what I wanted for Christmas; indulge me), but I would like to see your list of the best sounding gunshots in movies on dvd. The three categories I am looking for is 1) handgun, 2) fully automatic (machine) gun, and 3) shotgun.

Here is my list:

Handgun: Jean Reno's pistol in Ronin (when he is shooting at the BMW that he and DeNero is chasing).

Machine Gun: A tie - 1) DeNero's machine gun in Ronin (when he is shooting at the car behind the one he blew up at the traffic light), 2)Karl's (from Die Hard) Austrian Assult Rifle.

Shotgun: Arnold's shotgun in T2.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
1) John Doe shooting at the bathroom window in Seven .
2) The bank shootout in Heat .
3) Arnold in T2.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
I think Jorossy has brought up an excellent topic. It covers really the area of sound effects of gunfire in movies used through the years. There were times I could tell what studio made a movie while watching tv just by the sound of the gunfire. As just one good example taking the serials of Republic Pictures from the mid "30's" to the mid "50's",one can sample a variety of gunshot sounds through their years of production.

The last movie that impressed me with its gunshot effects was WE WERE SOLDIERS, not only in sound quality, but location of the fired weapons in the film which seemed very precise. I think there was an extra on the disc that spoke about "bullet timing". Other than this film on DVD, THE MATRIX certainly was well done.

On laser, TERMINATOR 2 was quite good, but I found Robocop 2, particulaly the battle between the two Robots at the end of the film to be a fine example of Dolby Surround with gunfire. I would also add segments of RAPID FIRE.

Off HBO, the shootout segments of EXTREME PREDJUDICE and PREDATOR 1 were also excellent again showing fine examples of Dolby Surround.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Handgun: Edward Norton at the end of Fight Club. The report is amazing (shudders the air).
Machine Gun: Tie between Val Vilmer standing in the street firing at the cops after the bank robbery (HEAT), and Twombly shooting the door when him and Nelson are alone (Blackhawk Down).
Shotgun: Arnold in T2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks