The Sound Of Music Update: See Post #63 November DVD Release

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill_Rinaldi, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Bill_Rinaldi

Bill_Rinaldi Auditioning

I just watched "The Sound Of Music" on DVD for the first time. I guess I can see why they call it a classic. OK, first of all, the box says it is presented in 4.1 surround. I didn't know there was such a thing! I take it that that is a mistake since my receiver was decoding in 5.1. The other thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to be much bass happening in this movie. That is until you got the thunderstorm part where you first hear "Favorite Things". WOW! I don't think my sub has ever been tortured like that. Those were sure loud claps of thunder! It truly did shake the house.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    IIRC, the Dolby Digital encoding is more efficient when encoded as 4.1 versus 5.1, too, so the audio compression should be slightly better when you do it the way Fox does versus encoding the same rear channel twice just so your receiver will say "5.1".

Regards,

4. Manuel

Manuel Stunt Coordinator

I also watched it when it came out on DVD 5 Star for the first time. We watched it with friends who had never seen the movie in widescreen. Sadly, they had watched it many many times in full frame and they consider it their favorite family movie. Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. I recognized just about all the songs (I was in band and choir through college). I now use the song scenes to keep my 1.5 year old entertained. Our friends mentioned that it sure added a lot more when you get to see the it as it was intended. Anyway, they just bought a cheapo DVD player for Christmas and we (wife and I) bought them the movie.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    An excellent movie that needs to be seen in widescreen. I'm glad to have it on DVD, but it would be nice if Fox would do a proper restoration and an improved DVD release. The video quality on the current 5-star release is certainly not up to snuff - too much edge enhancement for one thing.

6. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Supposedly a restored 70MM print will debut at the Motion Picture Academy Theatre on February the third.

The film may be perceived as a bit icky by some, but seen in its proper 70MM Todd-AO format (premiering at the since demolished Rivoli Theatre in Times Square, it was shown on a screen 66 feet wide with a curvature depth of 14 feet)--with six channel sound--(including three hours of directional dialogue) it packs an undeniable visual and sonic wallop.

Here's hoping that this restored 70MM version gets some kind of broad re-release in '05-- the picture's 40th anniversary--it deserves to be seen again the way it was originally produced.

7. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

The Rivoli was the first Todd-AO installation in the world--don't know if it was the largest--though seeing several 70MM presentations there in the 1970's made a permanant impression on me that has remained unequaled in over 32 years of Manhattan movie-going.

From recent reports here, good old 6-track magnetic sound still has it all over current digital systems, despite its inherent tape hiss.

8. Paul Linfesty

Paul Linfesty Stunt Coordinator

9. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer

Considering The Sound of Music is credited
    with saving Fox after the financial atomic bomb known
    as Cleopatra and the failure to complete
    Something's Got To Give due to the firing
    and subsequent death of Marilyn Monroe, one hopes Fox would
    give TSoM the restoration treatment it richly
    deserves.
    Mark

10. Paul Linfesty

There were uqite a few theatres with larger screens than the RIVOLI. The EGYPTIAN in Hollywood boasted an 80 foot D-150 Screen (although sometimes it was advertised as only 70 feet), the Cinerama Dome had one approaching 90 feet. I think a number of Cinerama Screens were also 90 feet, including NYC's Capital Theatre. 60-plus foot "flat" screens were not uncommon for 70mm theatres built in the 60's.

11. Paul Linfesty

Actually, it's a new print that's being struck from the ON, I believe. Fox did the same thing recently with both PATTON and HELLO DOLLY. DOLLY was perfect, it could never have looked better (except for the dupe material, i.e. - opening and closing credits, some opticals in the beginning; these REALLY showed their age). I didn't get the chance to see PATTON, but I heard it was equally impressive.

12. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

13. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Both "PATTON" and "HELLO, DOLLY" looked incredible. The colors were perfect, sharp with no grain, and the sound was all over the theater. There is no other way to view these films! The Academy will screen "PATTON" in the spring (It should be the same print they used last year - Dimension 150) If you can, go to the screening. I've got a ticket for "Sound of Music" so it will be interesting to see how the print measures up.

I believe the biggest theater was the ROXY in new York, sitting something like 6,000 people. It was bigger than Radio City Music Hall, but destroyed in the early 1960's to make way for office buildings.

The Rivoli was quite a theater. Unfortunately, in the 1980's it was turned into a two-plex and toward the end of the 80's demoslihed to make room for an office build (as were most film theaters on Broadway - The Loews State, the Criterion)It's a shame these theaters are lost, as they were part of New York's film history. the only regal movie house left in NY is the Ziegfeld build in the late 60's.

14. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

In the Rivoli lobby, there was a plaque commemorating the long roadshow runs for Robert Wise's films that played their opening engagements there (WEST SIDE STORY 61-62, THE SOUND OF MUSIC 65-66, THE SAND PEBBES 66-67) along with the dates of the engagements---unfortunately ending with the opening date for STAR!, which only had a non-record breaking run of six months.

I've often wondered what happened to that plaque when the theatre was demolished.

In October, I took my dad and his wife to the Cinerama Dome to see THIS IS CINERAMA in genuine three-strip projection--my second TIC three-strip experience--I had already made the pilgrimage to Dayton in 1998 to see it there too. The three-strip trailer for the new print of HOW THE WEST WAS WON to be shown at the Dome sometime in the near future looked WONDERFUL--with ALL of its color intact--don't know if I'll be lucky enough to make it back to the west coast for that one in Hollywood--I hope so.

On the Saturday afternoon in 1986 when I came upon a construction crew JACKHAMMERING the Greek Temple facade of the Rivoli and the manager's explanation of this was that they were "testing for strength", I telephoned all the newspapers, TV stations and the "Save The Theatres" organization (most Broadway theatres had yet to be landmarked at that time) but it seemed that I was the only one who cared.

I do have a home video I shot that day of the desecration of what was the most beautiful and elegant facade on Broadway.

15. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

There are a very limited number of interior photos of the Rivoli--I have some postcards from the 1920's (they turn up often on e-bay) and the photos that appear on the WIDESCREENMUSEUM.COM website are from a 1955 Boxoffice Magazine article on the first Todd-AO installation that I located in the Motion Picture Academy Library in Los Angeles--but I'm still looking!

16. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Radio City Music Hall was the only New York theater planned for destruction that was saved and now protected as a land mark.

17. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Bruce,

There was a book published around 1996 on Movie Houses, which contained information/pictures of some of the Roadshow theaters (Inside and out). I don't remember the actual title of the book, but I do remember seeing the photos for the "Cleopatra" Roadshow. Try the film section of your local book store, or maybe your library.

Also some of the photo stores in Los Angeles sell pictures from Roadshow theaters (By film title) I found a few proof sheets with dozens of photos from the Criterion presentation of "My Fair Lady"

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Here's my vote for an eventual *improved* DVD (and D-VHS) produces from the newly restored 70 mm film elements.
    [​IMG]
    p.s. exactly where is this glorious theater where all these 70 mm classics are shown? Probably not driving distance from Wash DC [​IMG]

19. Paul Linfesty

Here's a site with extensive photos, including Loew's State and Loew's Capitol in NYC. Some of these were obviously taken at different times (the Capitol, for example was remodeled in the late 50's and THEN again in the early 60's, for CINERAMA. The State also underwent a comp;lete remodeling late fifties and was twinned in late 60's.
    http://www.moviepalaces.net/

20. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I would rather see Fox doing something else than a new sound of music - I think the current DVD is damn good.