The sound of M&K and Polk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bowles, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I went over to a friend's house last night and listened to his home theater system. It was really impressive. He had M&K speakers. I currently have Polk rt25i speakers and a SVS sub. I do like sound of my SVS better than his M&K but the sound of the M&K speakers was great. I know the M&K are more expensive. I would like to know how much difference the room makes. My speakers are located in our great room. The room is 20x18 with 12 foot ceilings. The back and the side opens up into another room. His was in a bonus room that was made into a home theater. The sound was just more enveloping in there. Is it possible that I do not have enough sound aka small speakers or something for the room of the size that I have? I need some info from some of you guys that are more knowledgeable than me. Also he had a really nice yamaha reciever. I have a Onkyo 595. Thanks!!!!

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, I can tell you that one of the things M&K does is limited vertical leakage of the sound. That could be causing less reflections off the ceiling and floor, which in turn result in better sound. If you can, take your speakers to his house and set up in his room to see if the room is making the difference.

M&K makes some nice speakers, though. The powered versions are used to mix many of the biggest movies.

3. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I went from polks to M&Ks, and while the polks were no match in clarity they definatley not as bad as many on the forums make them sound. They M&Ks tend to be able to play very loud without introducing much distortion (the polks couldnt keep up) .The Polks are however nice warm speakers and do a decent job of imaging. The M&Ks are known for clarity and razor sharp imaging. They do limit the vertical axis disbursment for avoidance or first order reflections which may contribute to their sound. However this also makes them a unforgiving speaker when not set up on the vertical axis properly.

4. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

Also, I believe that Polks are more efficient speakers. You typically are going to need a bit more stable power to run the M&Ks as many of their speakers have a 4 ohm impedance.