the sound effects of a record needle being knocked off the platter

Discussion in 'Movies' started by chris winters, Jan 14, 2004.

1. chris winters

chris winters Second Unit

I know its a weird post, but this is one of my pet peeves lately. I just think its tired and anoys me[​IMG] It is usually in comedies, especially in trailers, when they want to ephasize a line or moment of surprise. Imagine a a yuppie character, a woman, in scenes of a bustling New York city, then she goes to a doctor and he says, "and your pregnant...". SCREEEECH, cut to her reaction shot. It often breaks up a montage of some kind. Somtimes its subsituted with tires schreeching to a halt. Ugh, this devise drives me crazy now [​IMG] anyone else???? can anyone think of any specific moments in movies or tv that had this? Maybe im just crazy.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Can't say as it drives me crazy, but has the potential, like Microsoft tunes.

Where it really bugs me is on my Isaac Hayes cd, where a superlong track ends with the noisy needle lift, but IT AINT THE LAST TRACK ON THE CD! [​IMG]

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I associate this with the Pulp Fiction trailer - dunno if that's the one that started it, but I think it popularized it at least...

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

A number of episodes of M*A*S*H had the scratching needle sound occur whenever someone played a record. One early instance occurred when Hawkeye and Trapper heard a recording of "Reveille" played over the P.A. system, and it got stuck on a particular section and kept playing over and over. Hawkeye looked up and said, "Hey, someone give the place a shove!" As if on cue, the guy playing the "Reveille" record scratched the record needle across the record and jumped it to the end of the tune. The look on Hawkeye's face was priceless!

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There's a generation of kids now in their teens who have never had a toy record player and have never ruined one of their parents' LPs with it. You'd think the sound effect would become obsolete.

6. chris winters

chris winters Second Unit

it doesnt drive me crazy if it supose to actually portray the sound of a record player needle in the scene. its when its used as an editing, or timing device in modern trailers that drives me crazy. The music playing the background and then, eeeeeeeeeerch, right on cue.

7. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

Heh. Some of those sounds are made with zippers, not vinyl.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    This effect is used in a syndication commercial for The Steve Harvey Show. Only trouble is, it's used twice in a row for two gags. Very annoying.

9. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I love it

10. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

They need to replace it with the sound of a cd being ejected.

"Kuchunk....errrrrrr pth"

[​IMG]

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    The "needle scratch" sound effect was used as a gag (involving a suprised reaction shot of Anthony Michael Hall, no connection to an actual record playing) in WEIRD SCIENCE (1985), so it goes at least that far back.

12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I have a tape of a TV commercial for "The New" 1978 Thunderbird that has that sound effect come up when they mention the price ($5808!)

13. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I don't think that's going to matter. We often hang onto obsolete phrasing, like dial a phone or the much older flash in the pan. The antique gun references are particularly durable...lock stock and barrel.
    We've spoken of this before around here but, speaking of grooved vinyl, the term album refers to 78 RPM sets that came in "albums." I find it perfectly correct to refer to CD cases with or without little booklets inside the same way.