What's new

The Sopranos Season 6 Part 1 coming to HD-DVD Nov. 7 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
'The Sopranos: Season 6, Part 1' on HD-DVD will carry an SRP of $129.95, a full $30 more than the standard DVD SRP of $99.95. No additional disc specs such as the number of discs, audio formats, etc. have been made available.
a litttle "too much" fun for me

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Still very interesting.
One question remains: anyone having the previous sets (like me) must decide now to switch to collecting the HD version (or not), meaning that the integrity of your complete collection could depend on two DVD formats instead of only one.

If this one sells reasonably, they should consider bringing the previous ones to HD DVD too.

Cees

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Hope they do a better job on S1 in HD than they did on DVD.

The video on the SD version is god awful.

EDIT: Sort of assumed they were starting with S1, strange approach...

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
$130.00 bucks for half a season?

Will the HD group step up and pay these prices???

Reminds me of the old laserdisc days of spending 150 bucks for a SE that now sells for 20 bucks on dvd.

Guess the studios are looking for early adopters to make up the difference in $$$ now that dvd has flattend out some bit.

Dugger

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't feel my wallet! :)

To be honest, I'll buy the SD version over the HD-DVD
because of the price and the fact that I want the packaging
size to match the other past seasons.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. That pricing is something else. Then again, HBO's TV on DVD has always been vastly over-priced IMO. That's why I'm probaby the last person on Earth to have seen this show. Personally, I would have preferred them starting with season one and lowering the price to boot.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Very expensive for sure—the article states that the HD version will be $30 more than the SD version, making it cost $100 for the set. A 30% markup for the HD version does seem a bit much.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
For the extra $30, I think the HD DVD will be worth it, yes it's pricy, but if the MSRP for the SD DVD is $100, I'm sure we will see both sets retail for under $100.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nice to see stuff like this starting to make an appearance on HD DVD!

Yes, the price is high. But since the standard definition DVD set is only $30 cheaper, it is understandable. There is going to be a premium for the much higher quality of High Def. So, if the DVD is $100 would you expect only a $5 premium? Personally, I think a $15 premium (over the $100) would be easier to swallow, but since with a 30% discount the HD DVD will wind up being under $100, it doesn't seem too crazy.

If the DVD set was something like $75 with this at $130, then that would be outrageous.

I've seen the show and enjoyed it, but I didn't follow it regularly. I'll be interested to take it all in on HD DVD, so I'll wait until all the seasons are available before I consider buying any.

But as I said, it is nice to see this kind of thing starting to make it's way to HD DVD. I hope Battlestar Galactica isn't far behind!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As with other TV material, Sopranos will undoubtedly arrive as a complete set shortly after the final broadcast, all in HD, and at a price point attractive enough to tempt those who already own earlier seasons upgrade.

I don't see the purpose in releasing a single half season in HD.

RAH

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'd be VERY tempted if they were releasing season 1 or 2 in HD, but there's no way I'd pay a premium for this sub-par season.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Oh please, this was hardly half a season. It was 12 episodes. Granted, every other season has had 13 episodes. If you want to complain that it is one less episode than the prior 5 seasons, go for it.

I'll be getting the HD version.

- Steve

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I bought a few early seasons on SD-DVD before losing track. There's no way I would buy seaon 6A without assurances that all previous seasons will be available in HD. Maybe they'll release a complete set à la Sex in the City. Now talk to me about Rome and you may find me more receptive.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'm not ready to cough up that kind of cash for The Sopranos but if Band of Brothers (Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD please :D) is released soon, they'll have my $130!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks