What's new

"The Sopranos" complete series box--buy or wait? (1 Viewer)

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently updated to Blu Ray, getting the Sony S350 shortly before Christmas. I have since found myself, like many others who have made the jump to Blu, rethinking future disc purchases (and already upgrading a few SD titles).

Which brings me to the "Sopranos" complete series box. I've wanted this since it was first announced, not owning any of the individual seasons on disc; but when the price for this was hovering around $249 or higher, I was resolute in my thinking to "wait for the Blu Ray". Now it's priced at $174.99 on Amazon.com and Best Buy, and it's very tempting to break down and buy it...especially since my wife gave me a Best Buy gift card and enough cash to do so. :)

So if you fellow BD owners/Sopranos fans were me, would you break down and get it at this current price, or continue to wait for the eventual Blu Ray release? Is the picture quality on the new set "good enough"?

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd buy it now.Breaks down to about $25 a season and you get some bonuses.I have Season 6 Pt 2 on Blu-Ray and did not see a big difference from the DVD version if any at all.The DVDs are excellent quality and I will not be upgrading to Blu-Ray on any more future releases from this show.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. I ended up breaking down and buying it. The price was just too good to pass up, especially since I already had the cash and gift card to get it at that price. And would owning it on Blu be worth the extra $200-300 it will probably cost? Probably not; especially with what TommyJD said about the minimal difference in picture quality on Season 6 Pt. 2.

Now the challenge is where to store the damn thing. Beautiful set, but man, is it heavy.

Thanks again for the input!

Jason44

Agent
Real Name
Jason

You made the right choice its awesome! As far as the price goes I don't know I haven't seen it for cheaper than for what you got it anywhere yet. Only place that might have them for cheaper is Ebay but thats not for sure as its mostly auctions.

-Jason

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Set your expections lower for the 1st season, PQ is very suspect.

It's 16x9 enhanced, but there's a ton of shimmer.

Second season gets a bit better in terms of PQ, but others who are holding off for a remastered HD set may be rewarded...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My rule of thumb, for what it's worth is, if I watched the orginal show on television in HD, I'm not going to watch it again on anything less; it would just be a step down. Obviously, this mostly applies to shows within the last 7 years. I don't need classic TV shows in HD (The Twilight Zone definitive editions are pristine enough).

I watched all of The Sopranos in HD, so I can wait for the Blu-ray. I don't think it will be that long. As soon as sales fade for the regular complete series DVD just watch, presto, the Blu-ray will be out by next Christmas for sure. But the 50% sale for HBO sets at Best Buy last week was tempting, and if you watched the series originally in standard, no biggie.

But I watched Firefly originally in HD and now have that Blu-ray. If I was a Lost collector, I'd only go Blu-ray on that since it was so spectacular in broadcast HD. I bought The Wire complete series in standard because it was not an HD show. I have Deadwood in three sets, but will probably upgrade to Blu-ray when that comes out.

Everyone's got different quirks. I'm going Blu.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is probably somewhat unrelated to the topic at hand, but
Deadwood is one of the most amazing shows I have ever
watched.

Just smiled when I had seen that it was mentioned in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks