What's new

The Sony STR-DE697 (1 Viewer)

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
I don't have a a surround sound system but I'm interested in this one http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...id=10#MoreInfo

Surround yourself in sound with Sony's STR-DE697 Dolby Digital Receiver. This full-featured model has all of the functionality you'll need to get the most out of your home theatre. With 7.1 channel power, built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoders, you can enjoy the awesome sound of DVD or digital satellite systems.

4 Ohm Capable No
5 Channel Power Yes
5.1 Channel Discrete Input Yes
6 Ohm Capable Yes
6.1 Channel Discrete Input No
7.1 Channel Discrete Input No
A/V Inputs/Outputs 4 Inputs, 1 Output
Banana Plug Speaker Terminals Info Not Available
Component Video Input/Output Yes
Component Video Switching Yes
Composite Video Input/Output Yes
Digital Inputs 4
Digital Outputs 1 Optical
Dolby Digital EX Yes
Dolby Digital Surround Sound Yes
Dolby Pro Logic Yes
Dolby Pro Logic II Yes
DSP Modes 13
DTS Yes
DTS ES Yes
Front AV Jacks Yes
Graphic EQ No
Headphone Jack Yes
High Current No
Included In Box Remote, Batteries, Manual, Antenna
Multiroom Capability No
On Screen Display Info Not Available
Phono Inputs No
Preamp Outputs No
Product Dimensions 43.0(W) x 15.7(H) x 31.0(D) cm
Product Warranty 2 Year Parts & Labour
Product Weight 8.5 kg
Remote Control Type Programmable
S-Video Input/Output 1
S-Video Switching Info Not Available
Station Presets 30
Stereo Power Per Channel 110 Watts Per Channel
THX Select No
THX Ultra No

More Information

FEATURES:
7 Channel Power Rating: 100 Watts Per Channel x 7
32-bit Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Decoder.
32-bit DSP with 11 acoustic environments.
Digital Cinema Sound System with Cinema Studio EX modes.

Is this a good reciever? Will I be able to connect my PS2 to it? It says it supports 7.1 but it doesn't have 6.1 and 7.1 discrete inputs. Can someone explain this to me? Thanks.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Your questions:

Is this a good AVR?
I can't really answer that. (heh). For better or for worse the lower end Sony stuff isn't generally held in the highest esteem. I have never owned a Sony AVR myself so I am neutral on this matter. Shop around and don't limit yourself to Futre Shop.

Will you be able to connect your PS2?
Absolutely. Keep in mind that for almost all PS2 games are stereo (which you can process with DPLII...).

5.1/6.1/7.1 ?
7.1 - this refers to seven speakers plus a sub. There is NO commercially available software that is encoded in 7.1. At this point, 7.1 basically means having 6.1 with mono surrounds unless you get into a DSP algorithm that can derive seven channels of information (Logic7, DPLIIx).

5.1 discrete inputs are there for external inputs from other sources. At this point, this AVR will accept a DD or DTS signal from any modern DVD player and be able to process it into five (or six...) discrete channels of sound.

You can use the 5.1 inputs for listening to DVD-A or SACD or for some future format which your AVR cannot decode.

the 5.1 6.1 7.1 topic is a bit tricky but IMO it's best to stick to basics -- 99%+ of the software currently available is 5.1 or less, and you're probably better off getting pretty good 5.1 rather than mediocre 7.1

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, if you have a bit more cash, I'd look at something else from Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon or Marantz. Sony DE is definitely not the best place for your $$. Sounds good on paper, has plenty of features and flexibility, but I've owned a few and was shocked when I heard what a good receiver could do in the same price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks