What's new

Pre-Order The Snoopy 4-Movie Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
that was my point. There was NOTHING listed - extras or no extras. No information at all.

So to immediately jump to the conclusion that this release is lacking is pure speculation.

The press release has not enlightened me any further as to the technical specifications.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This sounds good. I don't own any of these already. But I'll need the price to drop a bit before I get it. Even though there are four movies in here, $44.99 seems like a lot of money to me.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That's about $11.25 per movie. Not too shabby even if you get nothing beyond the movies themselves.

These were all theatrical movies and shown in 1.85:1. They were animated in 1.37:1 open matte with matts blocking the top and bottom to create widescreen so the majority of the top and bottom were dead space. When they show 1.85 films on tv they simply remove the matts and then zoom the image in for 1.33 tv ratio. Unfortunately the Blu Rays for A Boy named Charlie Brown or Snoopy Come Home were not original widescreen or the full 1.37 open matte they were the zoomed in 1.33 tv master. And it appears that same source was used for the widescreen DVDs which made them too tight because the 1.33 source was already zoomed in. Hopefully they can get an original print to work from and create a proper 1.85 and/or 1.37 master but they probably won't do any work on these. It will be a really weird and disappointing release if they do the 1st 2 films full screen and the last 2 widescreen instead of being consistent one way or the other. Releasing them in both ratios would be the best option.
progress.gif
Complicating matters further is that apparently, the two Paramount-produced features are presented in different aspect ratios on iTunes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I remember when a single movie cost more than that on laserdisc and more yet on VHS tape.

The Peanuts movies all got laserdiscs in the 1980s and cost about $35 apiece with analog sound. DVD was the first time any of them got anything better while it was also the first time A Boy Named Charlie Brown made an actually uncut home video appearance, restoring 6 minutes that somehow disappeared between 1969 and the film's video debut in the early 1980s.

aboynamedcharliebrown_laserdisc.jpg

snoopycomehome_laserdisc.jpg

raceforyourlifecharliebrown.jpg

bonvoyagecharliebrown.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm gonna wait for 4K (like I did with the holiday specials)

I don't mean to tell you what to do with your money since that's your choice and your business. But do you really think these are likely to be released on 4K? Two of these four are being released on regular Bu-ray for the first time in this collection and that format has been around for a long time. If it took this long for those titles and they're not going to do a 4K release simultaneously, that says to me they probably don't care to do 4K releases.

I know that the specials were released on 4K, but by virtue of being perennial staples, those are much higher profile titles than anything in this collection. Even without having data to look at, I'm fairly certain that the Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving and Christmas specials have sold more copies than any of these. Just because those came out on 4K doesn't necessarily mean that these will.

I'm not trying to force this set on you, and I certainly don't wish to be a wet blanket. But if you want to wait, you might be waiting forever.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Been waiting for several of these to show up on Blu-ray for years... this was a nice surprise to wake up to this morning. I also was a bit taken aback by the price, but with four films, as another poster also said, that's less than $12 per movie. Not bad at all (and yes, I lived through the days of laserdisc so I always keep those laserdisc prices in mind as well to calibrate my sentiments around the same movies in 1080p for comparatively much, much less :) )

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
I'm not trying to force this set on you, and I certainly don't wish to be a wet blanket. But if you want to wait, you might be waiting forever.
That's okay. I can and I will wait. I might be tempted to pick up a standalone release of 'Race' on BD if it's cheap and the reviews are good.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That's okay. I can and I will wait. I might be tempted to pick up a standalone release of 'Race' on BD if it's cheap and the reviews are good.

What makes you think there will be a standalone release of that movie on BD?

BTW, I'm also of the mind that I doubt these will ever get a 4K UHD release - at least not on a disc. Maybe streaming...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Instead of decreasing the already high $44.99 price tag, Amazon has now raised it to $57.99, which will be over $60 with tax. I love Peanuts, but this price is moving in the wrong direction.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Instead of decreasing the already high $44.99 price tag, Amazon has now raised it to $57.99, which will be over $60 with tax. I love Peanuts, but this price is moving in the wrong direction.
That seems to be the list price. You can order from other places. Deep Discount has the pre-order for $43.44 (and also shows the list price as $57.99). I'm sure the Amazon price will come down closer to the release day. Seems like they always start out near the list price when titles are first posted.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wonder if there's any chance that they'll slip in "It's the Pied Piper, Charlie Brown" as a bonus feature. Unlike the other tv specials, this one seems to still be under Paramount control.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's looking likely (judging by the relevant thread at the other forum) that the first two movies will just recycle the older Blu-Rays.

Not a surprise of course, but I was hoping to see these two older HD masters be upgraded even though I knew it was unlikely. They're still satisfactory and I've enjoyed watching both Blu-Ray's, but still a bit disappointing since I believe these could look better if redone today (And while I don't mind a tv style presentation, I know many would like to see these two at their theatrical widescreen aspect ratio).

It also would've made this price point a much better value and maybe we'd of gotten the original trailers as bonus material.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks