The Smell of MDF?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Hamilton, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Kevin Hamilton

Hey,
    Now that my sub is nearing completion(probably 90% not including finish), I have a question. I personally can't stand the smell of the MDF. Is there any tricks to tone down the smell or even just get rid of it?!?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

After the cutting and glueing is done there should not be any smell once a finish is applied, at least none that I've ever noticed. If you'r talking about smell during cutting then use a shop vac and a dust mask to keep the dust down, it's very bad for your lungs anyway.

3. Kevin Hamilton

I know, that, I've only got to glue the bottom on and I'll be done. But it's got an overwelming smell(like when I was cutting) filling the room. Maybe just leaving it outside(under cover [​IMG]) could possibly help?

- Kevin

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

It's not going to 'air-out' and every cut opens up 'new' wood.

Cut it outside and or use a real carbon filtered respirator (not a disposable dust mask)

FWIW the Plum Creek brand sold at some Home Depot stores has fewer toxins, I don't know if that = decreased odor

5. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

Even cutting it outside is going to raise the dust level in your house somethat. That's how nasty this medium is. It just gets everywhere..

6. Kevin Hamilton

Ahh, so if anything a blowing out my sub REALLY well and vaccuming(sp) the room should help? BTW it is the Plum Creek brand sold at Home Depot that I got.

- Kevin

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Is your sub ported? Most MDF has formaldehyde in it and some people are sensitive to it. You could apply a coat or two of PVA primer on the inside if it's ported to trap the smell and surface dust. Of course, then you're dealing with that latex paint smell for a few days. [​IMG]

8. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

...it smells like victory.

9. Robert_CA

Robert_CA Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Dave's suggestion. In addition to the smell, MDF will also absorb any moisture from the air over time so I applied two coats of primer/sealer the interiors of my ported Tempest and my LCC to deal with the odor and to minimize any moisture absorption Once the primer was completely dried there was no more smell. Give it a try. [​IMG]

10. Michael.Hoffman

You could also try shellac to seal it. Smells like alcohol for a while but then it doesn't smell, makes for a good primer too. I believe Home Depot has it in spray cans if that helps. As for the smell when cutting it, I don't really seem to mind but I can't offer any suggestions to help you out.

11. cosmo21

cosmo21 Auditioning

I installed some MDF shelves in my closet and not only did the "off-gas" odors ruin all my clothes (I cannot get the stink out), they also have stunk up my entire house. It appears most or all of the walls have been permeated by this nasty, pungent odor. I called ServiceMaster and they suggested I get the entire house ozone-blasted, but that costs a hefty $1500. Or I could buy a heavy duty air purifier which is designed to remove chemical odors. Such a purifier costs around $700-$800. There's no guarantee either approach will fix the problem. But I have to decide very soon because I've been getting very nauseous from the odors and it's hard to live here any more. I would welcome any advice on removing the odor from the air and clothing.

12. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Auditioning

I may be posting to late to be of help, but I'm multiple chemical sensitive and Safecoat paints or sealer works for me, they will seal chemicals from out gassing, I can use their paint but if I was to use commercial paints I would be hospitalized. Low or no VOC"s.

As for the smell in your rooms you could use baking soda, for carpets or stuffed furniture I use a sifter or colander and cover them heavy,leave for about two hours and vacuum. Another way for cutting odors is to use vinegar in some small bowls or cups as we do throughout the house or just the one room that is contaminated.

AFM Safecoat

AFM Safecoat

Forever Ain't so long anymore