The Singing Detective

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Haggai, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Anyone else seen this? I just saw it tonight, and I really liked it. The reviews haven't been very good, and I can tell that it's not necessarily the sort of movie that has all that wide an appeal. On the other hand, if I had only glanced at the critical reaction, I might not have ended up seeing it, but I did because I loved the trailer for it that I saw last month. Just from that one preview, I felt really, really strongly that it was a movie I'd enjoy, and indeed I did.

There were some parts that I didn't think were all that successful, like some of the sillier sex scenes (although the entire "Mr. Sandman" scene was totally priceless). But can anyone deny how great Downey Jr. is in it? What an excellent performance. Great supporting cast, too, funny stuff from Mel Gibson. And I loved Adrien Brody and Jon Polito as the buffoonish hit men.

Being a particular fan of music in movies, I was very interested in how all the '50s songs would be incorporated, and I think they were almost all home runs. I gained a new appreciation for Eddie Cochran's "Three Steps to Heaven" (you know the great scene I'm talking about if you've seen the movie), which I have on his greatest hits CD, but rarely listened to. Now I'll always be sure to listen to it when I put that CD in, since there's a great movie moment associated with it for me.

2. Claire Panke

Claire Panke Second Unit

I haven't seen this yet but I plan to, if for no other reason than to see Downey - a remarkable talent.

One reason the reviews have been strongly negative is that the critics can't help comparing the film to original TV series, one of the high water marks in TV history. Those who saw the Singing Detective when it orginally aired may feel that a 2 hour remake can't hope to do justice to Potter's original.

I fondly remember the 30's and 40's music from the original - I'm not sure how I'll like the 50's numbers.