What's new

The Sims -- Some questions... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Ok here's the deal, I got The Sims way back in 2000. I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not quite sure what happened but I stopped playing it. Now I've decided I wanted to play it again but I can find the registration code I need now that I have a new computer and I can't find the CD so what should I do? Should I get

A) The Gamecube version (When it comes out)

I heard you can't do as much as the PC version (Downloads, Exp packs) but the graphics look much better.

B) The regular PC version

I can get it cheap online

C) The Sims Deluxe

Just one expansion pack.

D) The Sims Deluxe and Exp packs (Unleashed, Hot Date...)

I heard that most expansion packs are just useless. Is this true?

Another question: Is the Sims still as fun as I remember? The look might be outdated and is going to the bathroom and cleaning the house even fun after a couple of days? And would anyone reccomend the Sims online over the orignal? Thanks for helping out.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
the PS2 and Gamecube version of the Sims is more like the online version of the game and not like the orginal PC game. I beta tested the online game for a little while but it put me to sleep. It is alright, not something I would pay $10 a month to play.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Kevin:

The PS2/GameCube versions of the game are a slight bit different from the PC version. Basically, the PC version is completely open-ended, and the console versions are less open-ended to start, though open-ended play CAN be unlocked. They also have 2-player mode, so you and a significant other can play together.

I'd disagree with the assertion that most expansion packs are useless. I've played them all up to Hot Date, and they each add some nice gameplay dynamics to the game, plus some nice furniture. Hot Date opens the game up especially well, giving you a downtown area to visit, replete with people to meet and things to do.

I'd skip The Sims Online. Right now it's really just a glorified chat room/popularity contest, not quite suited for mass consumption. This might not be the case a year from now, but for the time being, I'd stay away.

I'd probably get The Sims Deluxe to start out, and after a while, grab a few expansion packs (you can't go wrong with House Party & Hot Date). I'd rent the GameCube Sims first to see if you like the gameplay. I'd almost say its safe enough to order without playing -- but that's up to you. :)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
If I were to choose one, I'd say get The Sims Deluxe on the computer. They BOTH should be enjoyable, though, so you'd probably do well to get both eventually. :)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Just because it's the normal progression. I think its probably better to have a grounding in the gameplay before digging into the console versions, plus the control is PROBABLY a bit easier on computer. They're probably both equally enjoyable, though.

James T

Screenwriter
I've also just got a sudden interest in playing the Sims again. I even downloaded a whole bunch of skins/onjects a couple days ago. It's too bad some of the sites I used to go to are either no longer up or set up a download fee.

Hot Date is a fun expansion that changes the game. I haven't tried Unleashed yet, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks