The Sims Online - A Morality Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_T, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I have a question for all of you about the impending release of "The Sims Online". My girlfriend has been a long time fan of the series and has all the expansion packs. She is looking forward to the release of the new online version but in a small way, I am not. See, in the other versions, you could find a friend fall in love, kiss, hug even have sex. ( believe me she has some codes that she put into the game that had graphic depictions of sex!) I have a bit of a problem with this now that it is online. Now the people out there are real. How different is this to cybersex? Now just let me say that I trust my girl completely. She ahs been nothing but loyal to me, but she did say that she liked the game because she could have a fantasy life that she could never live out in real life. Could some guy on the Internet take that statement in another way? Am I way off base here?[​IMG]

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I think you're waaaay too worried about this. Don't take this the wrong way - she probably isn't even thinking that way of the game.
    I play games online all the time, and have never thought of my game-playing in that sense.
    (Even though most of the games i do play are favored by the geeks of the world [​IMG])
    In short - Chill out, and find something else to do instead of worrying about your girl playing online. She might take it the wrong way too - not many girls like overly possessive men, and she would probably misconstrue your concern as jealousy/possessiveness etc.

3. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

Interesting dilemma. I don't know what to say, this is a new one for me. I'll have to ponder the consequences. Before I formulate a opinion.

4. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply but I feel your being somewhat insulting to me. I never said said she was thinking about the game in that way. I'm just saying that since it is available to do in the game that some people may take the opportunity to have cybersex. It's really not that different is it? I've played Half Life and Unreal tournament on line but they had nothing to do with relationships in a fantasy atmosphere. I'm just asking a question here.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I wouldn't worry. I mean, if you're playing a 3D shooting game, should you feel bad if you kill an online opponent? It's not real.

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I'm sorry if it is somewhat insulting to you, but i'm not known for pussyfooting. :b

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Even online, it still takes two to tango...

If you really do trust her, I don't see why it should be an issue...

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

If she gets obsessive about the game, and DOES treat it like a fantasy relationship with other guys, then maybe there should be some reason to worry, but as it is, I don't see any reason to worry. I see your point though, as I've had gf's ADDICTED to chatting online, and that is THE WORST when you are sitting around doing nothing, while they are sitting on the computer and chatting, talk about rude.

9. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

If you trust your girlfriend and it is just a game to her than I would not worry. But chat room romances are not uncommon. I have seen many relationships and some marriages broken up because of it.

When you are playing a single player game normally the player takes on the attributes of the character described in the game. The player conforms to the world that the character is in. As we move away from the single player model into a multi player arena, the player ascribes more of there personality and attributes to the character they are playing. This can range from attitude to playing style and even changing the physical look of the character. But they are still playing in a world that is far removed from there own. Also the range of emotions is limited basically to "HA HA HA Your DEAD!" or "CRAP I got killed again!". The Simms Online will take the ability to become your character and raise the level of emotional involvement another step. It still leaves enough of a fantasy world available so that the lines between fantasy and reality will be more blurred than the much more defined lines of a chat-room. It still all boils down to a personal choice or weather or not the player has the mental capability to distinguish fantasy from reality.

Now that im done with my essay on "Emotional involvement of characters in virtual worlds" ill give my opinion on cybersex. If two people both engage a virtual character in the act of sex, I don't see it as any different than cybersex. I personally would be upset if my significant other had a virtual relationship with someone else. Im willing to bet that this game will stir up some controversy but this should not stop the game from being released for the people who are mature enough to handle it.

10. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry so much about the 'cybersex' angle as I would about her maybe becoming addicted to it where it might interfere w/ the two of you going out and doing something together.

The concept for Sims:Online is cool, but what worries me is that it'll make more people stay and hide inside their house behind computers....

~Jason

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I would say that while it's not cheating: it certainly is disrespectful.

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

the whole notion of sims online and all that is a little creepy

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It's an interesting point. She may not be thinking along those lines.. but some hormone saturated teenage boy might. It'll be interesting to see how people interact with each other out there. I mean, it's one thing to hang out in a chat room... or even play an online shoot-em-up. But here, you're expected to interact with each other.

I've never played the game.. but I have a feeling it's going to be pretty chaotic. I mean.. here's a world where there are no real consequences to your actions... people are going to explore that.. it's human nature. Whether it's morally right or wrong.. who knows.

I wouldn't worry about it.. give her the benefit of the doubt.

If she does fool around with some one Sim-wise, go in there and kick her cyber-ass. haha.. just kidding.. had to say it.

14. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

It's interesting.. how much can you actually do in this game? Apparently we've established you can have sex, but can you commit crimes? Crash your car? Contract rabies? Murder?

If done correctly, I see this becoming the next generation chatroom. Theorhetically, I could logon, go to my cyber-friend's house, soak in his or her hot tub and share music files or whatever. It's a little more interesting than just reading text back and forth.

However, if it's possible, I see a handful of people who will see it as an online version of Grand Theft Auto and will try to cause as much chaos as possible.

I'm tempted to buy it just to witness how it takes off.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Can one play "tragic clown"?? [​IMG]
    I recently saw the cover of Newsweek magazine with the article on online gaming and it has "The Sims Online" graphic on it..
    Jay

17. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

18. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Will the next Scooterpalooza be held in cyberspace?