What's new

The Simpson's... (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
"Even a "bad" Simpsons episode is superior to absolutely anything else on the idiot box"
Words of Wisdom.
Jason
PS Tim, responded to your PM. Sorry for the delay

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I pretty lame but..
I thought it was very funny when Homer shot Moe, thinking he was a mountain lion!
HAHAH!
Other then that, it sucked.
I don't really know if the show is flopping or not.. see, my parents (until last year) would forbid me from watching Simpsons..
So, I'm unable to compare.
Nathan

Ike

Screenwriter
The show is funny as far as jokes are concerned, but it's missing the layer of satire and irony, and replaced it by extreme self-awareness (is that a word?) and ironic gags. It's a different show, and I agree-compared to it's former self, it's not as good. But, still it is very funny, and I'll still watch it.

(And is it me, or is Homer now just a child? He's gone from being an idiot to an almost literal child. Watch the last two episodes with that thought, and you'll see it's almost on the surface.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think we all agree The Simpsons best days are behind it - as said many times, Ill take a bad Simpson Episode over "good" other network crap anyday.

Like Married With Children (which should have ended 5 years earlier than it did) and the X-Files(which is ridiculous), Fox doesnt seem to know when to kill a show.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Complaints about the Simpsons are often strike me as being like the beef about 'awful food - and such tiny portions'. The simple fact is that it has befallen the fate of most successful shows; namely, it has run out of steam. My particular gripe is the reliance on guest stars (almost always resoundingly unfunny) and the lame 'Homer gets a big scheme' plot line. Personally, I think they should kill off the series and then do the occasional movie.

Arguably Family Guy and Malcolm in the Middle would never have existed without the Simpsons, but personally I can't stand either of them. Incidentally, neither has been a big hit in the UK.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't really agree with everything you all said, but I have been a little concerned ever since season 12 began.

Complaints about the Simpsons are often strike me as being like the beef about 'awful food - and such tiny portions'.
Exactly. The show is still entertaining. The new episodes have some flaws, but I, too, feel the good outweighs the bad.

Malcolm in the Middle, on the other hand, is unwatchable.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Barney quite drinking awhile back when they got him Helicopter flying lessons. Moe, scared to death of losing his best customer addicted him to coffee in its place :)
Jeff Kleist

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'll say it again: even a "bad" Simpsons episode is superior to absolutely anything else on the idiot box.
Couldn't agree more. I wasn't too impressed with the premiere (Bart and Homer tethered), but last week's was hysterical!

Moe: "And 'penis' is Russian for what, now?"

Maybe it's just because I'm a hopeless Simpsons freak that I still find the show so damn funny. But I do.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well the problem is that Fox, starving for hits, holds on to their shows way past their prime. Reference Simpsons, X Files, And MArried with Children.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
This reminds me of the Poochie episode i saw today...
Comic book guy: Within minutes i was on the internet broadcasting my disgust (or something like that)... :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I 've ALWAYS have found 'The Simpson's' both funny AND annoying at the same time. Funny in it's wit, and annoying that Bart, Lisa, and Maggie never get any older! That just irritates me to no end!
I mean hell, even Pebbles and Bam Bam grew up eventually!

PienSavaca

Stunt Coordinator
from "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular":

Troy McClure: "Yes, the Simpsons have come a long way since an old drunk made humans out of his rabbit characters to pay off his gambling debts. Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?"

David Oliver

Second Unit
For an eye opener you should go to http://snpp.com and read the episode guides of some of your favorite shows from previous seasons and then read the reviews which amt.tv.simpsons folks were giving at the time they came out...they weren't necessarily all thought of as instant classics to say the least.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
People have been saying "The Simpson's have been going downhill for the last couple of seasons" since season 3. In a couple years, this season's episodes will be hailed as classics, while be berate the latest episodes. Two years later, the cycle will continue. I've seen it again and again and again.

Ike

Screenwriter
The show does seem to have a new edginess (I mean, the stuff with Marge and Homer fooling around with Bart in the room, and Homer carrying Mr. Burns to make love is really creepy, in an odd way.), and I honestly wouldn't be suprised if I hailed these episodes as classics in a few years. But who knows...

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
People have been saying "The Simpson's have been going downhill for the last couple of seasons" since season 3. In a couple years, this season's episodes will be hailed as classics, while be berate the latest episodes. Two years later, the cycle will continue. I've seen it again and again and again.
Well, I still hate the Season Eleven (late '99 - early '00) episodes as much as I did when I first saw them a couple of years ago. And that season included such "classics" as:
[*]Homer literally fighting a biker with a motorcycle.[*]The Simpsons evading a vengeful mob made up of PBS and Betty White (!) [*]Bart becoming a faith healer.[*]Otto's girlfriend attempting to kill Marge and take over her role in the Simpson family.[*]Homer growing a tomato that tastes like cigarettes.[*]Bart developing ADD, which somehow leads him to drive a tank and bring down a secret satellite.
Oh, and let's not forget those wonderfully unfunny cameos by Mark McGwire, Britney Spears, Gary Coleman and Ron Howard. Out of S11's twenty-two episodes, I liked TWO of them. That's a far cry from S9, where I enjoyed all twenty-five episodes, or even S10, where at least half of the episodes were entertaining.
Though I know deep down The Simpsons is--for the moment--bankrupt of (entertaining) ideas, there's a part of me that still thinks Groening and Co. will get back in the game. Which is why I still watch the show, week after week, letdown after letdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks