What's new

The Simpson's... (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I hate to say it - but I think the show is really going down hill. It used to be very smart but lately it has just been strange.
I first started to notice it last year. And tonight's episode was VERY WEIRD.
Weird for the sake of being weird is not the Simpson's style.
Maybe Matt Groening is spending too much time over at Futurama?
It was a good ride while it lasted and the Simpson's has given me many, many laughs over the years.
[Edited last by Mike St.Louis on November 18, 2001 at 10:48 PM]

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Simpsons has been pretty bad for the last few years, They usually sneak in just enough good episodes to keep me watching, But I no longer look forward to the show. It's to bad as I thought last weeks episode was great and was hoping maybe it would be a sign of things to come this year.
Tonights episode is easily one of the 5 worst I have ever seen
icon13.gif

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
If it sucks, stop watching. It's as simple as that.
I thought this week's episode was head and tails better than last week's.
Gotta love Internet ranting :thumbsdown:

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
I agree this episode was definitly lacking, and the downward trend has easily been visible these past few years. I mean, what was the point of REM in the episode at all? They had what like, 2 lines (besides the song)? The gratuitous celebrity apperances like tonights episode are nothing but annoying. I keep hoping one day we'll get a rebound in quality, but I think the show has just run its course. Time to let go. :thumbsdown:
I'll take Malcom in The Middle over the current Simpsons anyday. (But even tonights Malcom was a little un-funny)
JQ

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I completely agree that the Simpson's has gone downhill the last few years. The witty jokes just are not there anymore. Sometimes, I find myself rolling my eyes at their feeble attempts at comedy. Years ago I would fall off the couch laughing so hard, now I end up watching sports highlights on another channel when its on.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The only real surprise to me is that we didn't have one of these threads for the season premiere and the Halloween episode. It seemed like there was a thread similar to this after every other new episode last season.

I'll say it again: even a "bad" Simpsons episode is superior to absolutely anything else on the idiot box.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I still stand by my favorite show and I agree wholeheartedly with Mitty. I'll take the "Worst Episode Ever" over anything else that television has to offer. Hands down. Every time. Without a second thought. At least it hasn't degenerated to what X-Files has... I started watching Simpsons on the Tracy Ullman show, and remember watching the premiere when it premiered proper. There are always cycles and the good still far outweighs the bad in my opinion...

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
The "it's still better than the other crap" argument holds zero water. Why watch anything, if the only choices are crappy and slightly-less-crappy? There are other things you can do with your time. Personally, I usually go play computer games in between King of the Hill and the X-Files.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The "it's still better than the other crap" argument holds zero water. Why watch anything, if the only choices are crappy and slightly-less-crappy?
Actually, the "it's still better than the other crap" argument holds quite a bit of water. It's this kind of logic that's flooding my basement right now :D .

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Steve, you did notice that I put "bad" in quotes, right? :)
I am personally of the opinion that The Simpsons is still a good, even great, show. If it suffers at all, it's only in comparison to itself.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Michael,
Please don't get me started about the X-Files! I'll join you over in the appropriate thread. :D
I missed the premiere last week but I did catch the Halloween episode - which was lame.
Did Barney quit drinking in last weeks episode??
A bad Simpsons episode is most definitely better than most anything on TV. But a bad episode is still, you know, bad.
Mitty, I couldn't agree more with your last comment. Well put.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Agreed with Mitty. Simpsons is only bad in comparison to itself which was once so great. I'll take Simpsons over anything on tv (but I still turn over to TSN to watch the sunday nighter during thhe commercials!)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Mike, didn't you see the helicopter episode with Barney? they saved Bart and Lisa from the forest fire? Apparently they did forget that it was Moe himself that was feeding Barney's coffee habit in the end.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Mike, didn't you see the helicopter episode with Barney? they saved Bart and Lisa from the forest fire?
Since when is there continuity on The Simpsons? :confused:
I thought R.E.M.'s appearance was cute. "Let's recycle these shards of glass and get out of here." :laugh:

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
So far this season, The Simpsons have been 0 for 3. The episodes are getting unfunny, lame, and just plain dull. I'm praying the season starts to change quickly or it's time to end the show for good.
Tonights episode is easily one of the 5 worst I have ever seen.
I have to agree with you on that, but nothing can be worse (imo) then the singing clip show episode. :thumbsdown:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They really need to come up with new ideas. The episodes they run here at 6 and 7 are reruns, and all of them are great. At least I have 10 chances to see a good episode each week.

The writing has been spiraling more since last season, but these last few episodes have just been bad. Malcolm in the Middle on the other hand has been hilarious.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll say it again: even a "bad" Simpsons episode is superior to absolutely anything else on the idiot box.
Obviously you haven't watched Family Guy, Futurama, or Malcolm in the Middle. I loved the Season One set. Back then, the show had heart. Now, it's just a few seasons over extended.
EDIT: And what was with Barney's hair being combed?

Don Black

Screenwriter
The last epsidoe just struck me as very, very odd. What the heck was the point of the "Bart digging" flashback? Just to kill 5 minutes? I still found the show entertaining (any episode with Moe is a good one) but just "misaligned."

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
, Futurama, or Malcolm in the Middle. I loved the Season One set. Back then, the show had heart. Now, it's just a few seasons over extended.
Totally agree, except replace that piece-of-sh** Family Guy with either Law and Order or Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
As for The Simpsons, I am with the majority in that the show is long since past its golden years. The suckiness started right around Season Ten (1998) and kept on going from there. I got my hopes up with the last few episodes from last season, which contained some great laughs and made me think the writers had gotten out of their creative rut. Guess I expected too much.
Yet I still keep watching every week, hoping that they'll get some of that magic back. This show and I go back way too far for me to just not watch anymore. However, it may be telling that five years ago I would constantly kick myself if I missed an episode of The Simpsons; now, I just kind of shrug it off if I miss one of the current eps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks