What's new

The Simpsons: Season Five - 12/21 (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
"Smithers, hold on to me.....
Whatever will be, will be.....
The future is ours to see.....
Now I must go and pee.....
I've got a weak bladder (you see)."

"Ahhhhh....excellent!"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My fav season as well.

I PRAY Rosebud will be the entire uncut episode.I havent seen it uncut since the first time it aired.

Oh please please please please

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Jon,

There's no reason to think it won't be uncut. Groening has even mentioned in previous sets how much he loathes the cut versions. Can't wait for this set!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

This is the one I have been waiting for as well. It is quite possibly the most butchered episode in syndication of them all.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Which episode is this? And did the cuts first happen in syndication? If not, then the edited version might end up on the DVD.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I've seen the complete version of "Rosebud" many times on the Comedy Network here in Canada. It had a lot of scenes cut in syndication -- such as the scene where all the then-living ex-presidents line up to see Mr. Burns, and George Bush I and Jimmy Carter are rejected ("no one-termers").

Season 5 was sort of the opposite of season 4 in terms of show length: in season 4 they came up with short shows and had to use a lot of filler to get them up to 23 minutes (longer title sequences, Ned Flanders cartoons, etc). The new team that took over in season 5, headed by David Mirkin, turned in extremely long shows that had to be cut down to fill the 23 minutes; hence they tended to use the shortened title sequence, which meant more material that got cut in syndication. The season 4 episodes tend to have like one scene cut in syndication; the season 5 episodes have many gags and whole scenes cut, so you're going to see a lot of stuff you haven't seen in a while.

MikeAB

Grip
Rosebud is the episode where Burns tries to get back his childhood teddy bear Bobo, but Maggie is in possession of it and refuses to give it back.

As far as I know, the Simpsons DVDs have always used episodes without syndication cuts. For the seasons that they have released, I haven't seen the uncut episodes in 10 or more years, so if something cut wasn't put back in, I wouldn't notice, but after seeing each of these episodes dozens of times in syndication, I spot all the cuts being added back.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The "Bart's inner child" episode is also heavily edited in syndication.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
The commentaries explain the need for cuts, because individual stations have different length ads... It is a shame, but in a sense, needs to be done. I would not be to worried about whether the original episode will be on the DVD, it is almost a sure thing.

Ryan

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Jay -

Well, some local stations have more ads than another, it just depends on the market. The show is cut in the end by the editors for their 8:00 Sunday showing, not for syndication 4 years later. It is basicially the role of someone else.

Hopefully, we could see one release a quarter, that would be something special, but I would be content with 3 per year. January, June, August.

Ryan

Ryan

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So many of you have described such great episodes from the 5th season, I am both anxious for it to get here and glad it is coming soon.

I always wanted to see an episode where the people of Springfield discover that some alien experiment has kept them from aging for 15 years or so. Bart can say "I'm supposed to be 25!"

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Ah, Rosebud. Quite possibly the best Simpsons episode ever.

"Lobo, Lobo, bring back Sheriff Lobo!"

"Mmm, 64 slices of American cheese"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone found out the deal with the commentaries yet? Will they be on all the episodes?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
It's not officially announced yet, but the info already announced is only for disc 1. If all the episodes on disc 1 have commentaries, then I think it's more than likely that all the other episodes will have commentaries as well.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Since the image isn't showing in David's post above, I saved & uploaded the image to my account:

I personally love it. The red curtain backdrop is a nice touch as opposed to a solid color as per the previous four sets. I can't wait for this!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks