The Simpsons Season 18 (2006-2007)

Scott-S

Premium
Real Name
Scott
This last episode made me think:

"South Park Did It" (refering to the southpark episode "The Simpsons Already Did it")

For once, the Simpsons did something that South Park has already done.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Wow, that last episode was pretty bad... anything that focuses on Marge as the main player usually turns out to be a stinker. Granted there were some funny moments like Moe as the troll, but ouch I haven't seen one that bad in a while.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I have to agree with the above, that is why I enjoyed the Homer and Lisa soccer story. There most have been one writer who did knew their futbol.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna mention the South Park similarity, but I also realize that the planning of this episode would have been done WAY before South Park thought of theirs.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That was 6-1/2 months ago. The episode takes about 6 months (that's cetainly not an exact figure) to make. I don't believe the writing of the script and other planning that goes on before the episode was made.

Arild

Supporting Actor
And how do you suggest they do that? Animation just takes a lot of time. I don't think there's any way around it if you want any kind of decent quality.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, South Park is basically cutouts, so it's easier to do animation. In fact, it's (most likely) all done in the computer.

The Simpsons is all hand drawn and sent over seas to animate fully. I don't know how they could speed that process up without it costing WAY too much money.

Homer: Is this episode going out live?
Woman: No,
Homer, very few cartoons are broadcast live - it's a terrible strain on the animators hands.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, there's no way that this episode wasn't in production months before the South Park episode was concieved and produced. The Simpsons also have a large backlog of episodes from the previous season that they run before the episodes from the current production year. There's been 17 episodes run for this season but only 10 of those were prodcued as part of S18. That backlog bumped back this episode by another three and a half months.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
How many episodes do they produce at one time? Because if one takes 6 months of work, and there's 20 something episodes a season, that's like 10 years of work for one season, lol. Obviously this isn't the case, but just curious how it all works out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The number of episodes being worked on at one time probably varies by what time of year it is. I'd assume (and it's only an assumption) that when they start out at the beginning of the season, they have one episode and then a few weeks later, episode 2 goes into production and then episode 3, etc. Then when episode 1 is finished, that team starts work on the next episode coming down the pike. Like I said, that's a total guess though and I'd imagine that there's certain complex episodes that they assign to specific groups.

It seems like the directors do about 2 episodes a season so that would roughly work out to an episode every six months.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I stopped watching when the random celebrity walk on's and appearances started happening. I think this was around the time where they had a plot center around Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, and to top it off, what's his name from Happy Days - edit Ron Howard.

After that, more bands where making appearances...ugh. Must have been a Fox requirement.

That being said, I caught a repeat of a newer episode. The one where Lisa tries to learn Italian from Milhouse. It wasn't laugh out loud funny like the older shows are....but it did make me smile....so maybe I'll give it another chance.

On the bright side, Seasons 12-17 will be all new to me on DVD

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That reminds me of a great bit they did: Homer sees Alec and Kim and yells "BILLY BALDWIN!" Heh heh.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

I haven't seen it in so long, I've more or less forgotten if he was good or not. I just remember thinking... hmm, I wonder if the Pope will move into Springfield next?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

'Dad, Look, isn't that..the Pope Mobile?'
'And look, he has tickets! The Pope is sending us to our dream vacation to Addis Abbaba!'
'And look! John Travolta and Kirstie alley are our pilot and stewardess!'

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
It's really sad what has happened to this show. For the past few months I've been watching my Simpsons seasons 1-8 DVDs and they made me a fan of The Simpsons all over again. Then I see the new episodes and they are depressing. So far this season we've seen Bart get married and enthusiastically consider fatherhood. This past weekend he became depressed, went insane, and almost killed himself in front of the whole town because of his insanity. And he's STILL supposed to be ten years old. This is pathetic.

What you see Sunday on FOX is not The Simpsons anymore. It looks like The Simpsons and it sounds like The Simpsons, but it's not The Simpsons. Sometimes I wish they had ended the show when it still had a chance to go out with dignity, but there seems to be no chance of that. I can only hope that if they ever do a final episode, extra care will be taken to elevate it above the crap that has directly preceded it. This is the same hope I have for the movie.

I guess this show is a lot of peoples' livelihood. We've seen a lot of the producers go off and try to do other projects only to see them fail and return to their bread and butter (Al Jean and Mike Reiss creating The Critic, for example), so I can understand the necessity of the show staying around to keep these people working, but as a fan of what the show once was, I can't help but selfishly wish it would stop instead of pissing on that legacy repeatedly. I don't know how everyone involved with the show is deluded enough to think it's still going strong. Maybe because the ratings are solid, but I think that's mostly because people watch it out of habit (that's certainly why I'd watch it after so many terrible episodes).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Me too. That's definitely the 'collector' mentality showing through....I just can't imagine the thought of missing a new episode. I've seen every epiosde so far and with an 18 year commitment, I couldn't imagine stopping no matter how bad it is.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa