The Simpsons Season 18 (2006-2007)

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
i watched the first episode of the new season, and while not terrible, it wasn't great even by recent (past 5 seasons) standards, and had woeful cameos. the first half of the second episode was alright, besides the stupid white stripes scene, but then went downhill so i bailed on it. i'm doubting i'll even watch the third episode.

thankfully, season 8 came out on dvd in australia, and i picked it up today. commentaries ahoy!

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, they're done now until Nov. 5 (if I hear the promo correctly after Sunday's show)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, although they are playing a rerun on Sunday and then baseball runs through October.

I almost think that Fox runs the Halloween episodes in November now as a joke. Like it's a silly tradition at this point.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A letter to all cartoon shows (i.e. The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, etc.)

Ok, I get it! We are at war and you want to make fun of the senseless nature of this war, but I watch these cartoon shows to escape the realities of life. I'm sick of listening to your 'political commentary' - if I want to listen to that, I'll watch CNN!

Can we please just have cartoons that are silly and funny???

Scott-S

Premium
Real Name
Scott
I am usually ok with political humor. But making our brave troops a butt of a joke is not cool.

Next thing we know, there will be an episode where Lisa Simpson goes to the airport to spit on returning troops.

I would be ok with jokes about the war in general, but it was way over the line to be calling the men and woman in our Army a bunch of drooling idiots. I bet the soldiers in the "front line infantry" will really love seeing themselves ridiculed like this. I bet they love knowing they are risking their lives for people like Matt to have the right to spit on them.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Last night's episode was one of the rare instances, for me, where I really wished that there was something else on TV to watch. The whole gag with the remote control helicopter was so forced and over-long. How many times do they have to have an episode showing the silliness of military recruiting techniques? The episode where Homer joins the Navy Reserve as well as the one where Bart, Nelson, Milhouse, and Ralph form a boy band for Navy recruiting were great (conflict of interest alert-Navy vet here). Last night's was lazy.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Not bad last night, but the best inside joke was the obscure reference to 'Alexander Nevsky' and the inclusion of Prokofiev's "Arise, People Of Russia" theme.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yep!

It has been dissapointing to me how political the show has become in the last few seasons. Also, the political messages are mostly very one sided and very condescending to people who are right-leaning. At least "South Park" usually addresses both sides of a political point.

I suppose they are really running out of ideas (hence the recent rash of full openings and long couch gags and long bits like the remote helicopter chase) and using political issues for storylines.

Still, there usually is a laugh or two to be found. I liked the bit with Moe...
"Homer, there are some things that mean more to me than money"
cut to the general bribing Moe with a sack of cash
"Like A LOT of money!"
Genreal: "Why did you just say that sentence fragment!"

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

From what I saw, the Army put soldiers through their paces and took tests and the qualified ones went on to serve, while the "drooling idiots" like Homer failed and did not go and stayed around to help in the training of other recruits. As for the end of the story being silly, well, it is the Simpsons.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Yes, kind of like his observation that "oooooh, they have the Internet on computers now."

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was Bart who said that. I only say that because I loved the joke, it was similar to that Milhouse line about "This is like Speed 2, but only with a bus" - meaning that the kids are too young to know about the 'original'.

Similar to the Bart line about the Beatles being the ones who wrote all the songs on Maggie's baby records.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LMAO! The photo of Homer laughing and saying "I'm laughing in the last one because the cat fell down the stairs" - had me crying with laughter. That hasn't happened in a while...

...and the topper was the photo of the cat falling down the stairs.
Man, that one scene alone will be worth buying Season 18 on DVD.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The quiz was too easy.

Anyways, did anyone see the latest epiosde? It seemed like it should have been more suited for a Halloween episode.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav