The Simpsons: French Track

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Durand, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Robert Durand

Robert Durand Auditioning

I normally listen to movies and television series in their correct language (original), but sometime come a series that can be listen in more language without problem.
    Those series are not " dub" but are more rewrite. It use local reference (political, geographical, etc). The drawback is that normally it only works in the same country.
    The Simpsons are one of those series. I can listen to an English version or a French version (French from Quebec) anytime.
    But FOX put the French version from France on the DVD.
    So, I cannot listen to the French track, only the English one. I personally know nobody who wants French from France on a region 1 DVD. And no, French from France and from Quebec is two different things in that kind of series.
    My question is: Why ?
    (Excuse my English, I read more that I write!)

2. Sandra

Sandra Agent

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well, I listen to dubbed tracks for my own amusement, so this'll be interesting. I know these were also dubbed in Spanish, why wasn't that put on the DVD too?

4. Vincent Matis

Vincent Matis Second Unit

5. Robert Durand

So the French track on a region 1 DVD was choose for Europe?
    And I agreed that dub is normally not good and I normally listen to the original language track.
    But for The Simpsons it’s not the same thing. I have tried to listen to the France version when I was in Paris and I have to turn down the TV. The reason: this show was not dub using international French, but use a lot of slang language (like it should be!).
    BTW: I do I use the " Quote " thing ?

6. Sandra

Sandra Agent

7. Robert Durand

Fortunately I don’t has to get it !
    I listen to the original language most of the time. And French movies that are like are almost with no slang.
    The Simpsons was the exception.
    I think that what I don’t like was the fact that FOX had announced on French site that they use the French-Canadian track for this DVD. Probably a mistake in mastering.
    I know that many people are upset in Quebec because they almost never use the same French track from the VHS and the DVD in movies, and many here cannot listen to English, but this is not my case.
    Thanks for the link.

8. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with Robert. If it was advertised with a French Canadian dub, that's what it should have. As the set does not come with said track, but the European French, then that is an error in mastering, or a deliberate change in tracks.
    I hope this will be corrected for future releases. Maybe even replacements for season 1.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."

9. Sandra

Sandra Agent

Fair enough if it was advertised with Canadian french track and they changed it. I'd only seen French track advertised but I've got to admit I didn't pay much attention to it.

10. Robert Durand

The announcement was made on a French-Canadian DVD web site. Up to now I have trusted them with that kind of announcement.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Robert,
    Is it shown dubbed French-Canadian on TV up there?
    Just curious if maybe the reason France Frech was included was because source tapes were available, while Canadian French were not (or expensive to get).
    -Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

12. Robert Durand

13. Jean Weitzmann

Jean Weitzmann Stunt Coordinator