What's new

The Simpsons early DVD release question (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's a few seasons of The Simpsons on DVD I want to pick up this weekend. One thing that I am curious about is Amazon showed two versions of Season 4. One was originally released in 1992 and another release from 2012 of the same season is also available for much less money. In looking at another season I'm interested in, S6 and S7, the prices are the same lower $13.99 price. I know Amazon is having a sale now on the Simpsons so that would account for the lower price which I wanted to take advantage of before it ends tonight. The reason for this post is motivated by concerns if they are re-releases and if they are better or the same as the original releases. Hopefully they are not counterfeit, which I doubt. :). I hope to finally grab S3, 4, 6, 7 and 8. I already have S1, 2, and 5.Thanks for any insights from a Simpsons novice.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Near as I can tell, the sets that are on sale for $13.99 just look like a repackaging of the original sets (which went out of print a few years ago) so the content on the discs SHOULD be the same. However, without actually watching at the discs, I can't confirm that.

I took a look on a Simpsons message board and found a link to a kid reviewing/showing them off on You Tube:

S1 repackaging:
S2 repackaging:
S3 repackaging:

Since you already have some of the seasons, you know what the original sets look like and can compare them to these repackagings.

Assuming the content is the same, I'd definitely pick these up at $13.99 (I probably paid double that or more when I got them).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis! Looks like simple packaging differences with how the discs are stored on trays that fold verses the original set I have where the trays are glued to the cardboard. The disc art and box art are essentially the same. Looks promising.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of early DVD releases, Everybody hang onto your original DVD sets of season 3...

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/th...eaving-neverland-stark-raving-dad-1203158114/

This is a big part of why I don't trust streaming. Something like this happens, it's easier to obliterate an episode from the 'net than to take DVDs away. Though their talk of removing the episode from future rereleases... well, they can't take the tens of thousands of copies that exist out of people's hands.

As for why this is being done... they seem to be 25 years behind in doing this if they care so much.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Speaking of early DVD releases, Everybody hang onto your original DVD sets of season 3...

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/th...eaving-neverland-stark-raving-dad-1203158114/

This is a big part of why I don't trust streaming. Something like this happens, it's easier to obliterate an episode from the 'net than to take DVDs away. Though their talk of removing the episode from future rereleases... well, they can't take the tens of thousands of copies that exist out of people's hands.

As for why this is being done... they seem to be 25 years behind in doing this if they care so much.

I totally agree with you. The article you linked is the only one I've read about this news, but it sure doesn't really say any specific reason they are pulling the episode. Just because of the new documentary? What this does is to set the episode up as something more than it is already. It makes it rare and even more wanted. How many people are now going to want to see it because of this news? That's what censorship does. They even basically say they're against censorship, but we're doing it anyway.

I respect James L. Brooks immensely, but this decision is really boneheaded. IMO, of course. Wonder how this came up in the first place after all these years?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The article you linked is the only one I've read about this news, but it sure doesn't really say any specific reason they are pulling the episode. Just because of the new documentary?

There have been multiple reports of pulling that episode in the wake of the Leaving Neverland documentary, which most people say have forever tarnished the reputation of Michael Jackson. Obviously, no reissue of the season 3 DVD is imminent and may never happen. What will happen is that the episode will be pulled from syndication packages, streaming, etc. I think one can enjoy the episode and still hold Jackson in contempt for his behavior.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
There have been multiple reports of pulling that episode in the wake of the Leaving Neverland documentary, which most people say have forever tarnished the reputation of Michael Jackson.

The documentary didn't tarnish Michael Jackson's reputation, Michael Jackson and his enablers did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks