What's new

The Simpsons DVD (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I don't have Season 2 yet, what does this disclaimer that you are talking about say?

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have Season 2 yet, what does this disclaimer that you are talking about say?
At the beginning of each disc it says:

"The views expressed in the interviews and commentaries are solely those of the individuals providing them and do not reflect the opinions of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, its parent, affiliate, or subsidiary companies."

I've never seen that on a DVD before. I'm not saying that's the reason, but whenever something is delayed, companies usually apologize and offer some kind of explanation. In this case we have heard nothing, not just like a press release but none of the people involved have even said anything in an interview or whatever. I'm sure they've been asked a number of times. That's why I don't think it is some basic trivial thing.

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
Fine, but my main point is that I find it surprising that we haven't heard anything from anyone. I figure in this long ass time somebody involved would have said, in a general, off-handed way "We know people are upset about the length between releases. The reason the last one took so long was because..."

There are people out there that know for sure why it took 11 months. If they would go out and say it was coming out in May, I'm sure they'd make other comments about it as well. That's why I think there is more to this than meets the eye, and all I can think of was how surprised I was by how frank some of the comments were.

I'm not saying its right, it could very well be music rights or something similar, but I'm just offering another theory since there hasn't been any official reason given.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This statement is becoming commonplace on DVDs - from a variety of studios, too.
The new Star Trek II (Directors Edition) also has a similar disclaimer at the beginning. This was the first time that I had seen such a disclaimer. I'm guessing that these disclaimers will be on any DVD that has a commentary or an interview on it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there was anything risque on the Wrath of Kahn commentary? Because the Season Two commentaries go into a number of controversial areas. When Marge says "What else would cause all the violence in the world?" (Or something similar) one of the contributors jokingly calls out 'Christianity.' As a Christian myself, I personally thought it hilarious (especially in the context that the Crusades had just been mentioned.) I can see how others wouldn't though, and decide to sue everyone and their grandmother over it. There are a few other places where names were dropped in a negative connotation, that could result in a lawsuit over libeling. I could personally care less, as long as the commentaries keep coming. And I'd MUCH rather have this then the butchered to hell Dogma commentary.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I wonder if there was anything risque on the Wrath of Kahn commentary?
It probably doesn't even have anything to do with risque or questionable material now. It's easy enough for studios to put a disclaimer before a DVD, so why not? That way they take care of everyone who might have a problem with something that is being said.

It's an easy safety measure.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't it make sense than instead of just saying the interviews and commentaries to just say the entire dvd?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
There were some things that Shatner said in his interview about Harve Bennett, Nick Meyer and Leonard Nimoy that may have prompted it on Disc 2 of Wrath of Khan. Which, BTW, may have made Shatner look like an ass to the general public, but I can completely understand his point of view feeling that he was being tricked (and I know he's a decent actor but he really looked like he was about to cry at one point). Seems to me like most of the "hatred" between the cast members was probably caused by lack of communication (the other root of all evil) on set. I haven't listened to the running commentary yet, though, so don't know if anything disparaging was said there.

As for the Simpsons (to get back on topic), there were definitely a few pokes being made that any sane company would have put disclaimers around.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Al Jean was quoted in the Houston Chronicle saying that Season Two would be released in May. I never saw any official announcement for the delay. If it had to do with production, syndication issues, or music rights
Al Jean is not Peter Staddon, he does not work for Fox Home Video. It was his UNDERSTANDING it would be out in May, however this was never stated on a press release THEREFORE was never official in any way

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
There were some things that Shatner said in his interview about Harve Bennett, Nick Meyer and Leonard Nimoy that may have prompted it on Disc 2 of Wrath of Khan. Which, BTW, may have made Shatner look like an ass to the general public, but I can completely understand his point of view feeling that he was being tricked (and I know he's a decent actor but he really looked like he was about to cry at one point).
Uh, I think Shatner's tongue was most firmly in his cheek when he made these remarks. His interview was hilarious!

Cheers!

DS.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
No way. He's not that good an actor. If it were tongue and cheek, they woulf have shown something to give it away instead of leaving it controversial.

Back to Simpsons DVDs...

I forgot how good those earlier episodes could be. Some of those are classics. These DVDs are gonna a get a lot of repeat playing.

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
Al Jean is not Peter Staddon, he does not work for Fox Home Video. It was his UNDERSTANDING it would be out in May, however this was never stated on a press release THEREFORE was never official in any way
And you think there isn't any kind of communication there? The Executive Producer of the show, heavily involved in the creation of the DVD content, wouldn't know exactly when they are coming out? And after coming out in public with a release date, knowing he was wrong, he would never address the subject again? Just seems a little odd to me.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Matt, it wouldn't be the first time. Most creators do their part fo the DVD then go back to working on their shows. They may ask "when will it be out", but again, Al Jean is not a repfor Fox Home Video, nor did he say it at a press conference, therefore his word was not final nor official

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
No way. He's not that good an actor. If it were tongue and cheek, they woulf have shown something to give it away instead of leaving it controversial.
Sorry Joe, but I agree with Dave. Shatner has a strange sense of humor. Sometimes funny and sometimes not.
Back on topic, I'll try to be patient but I ain't getting younger. ;)

Craig_T

Second Unit
It seems that season 3 will be out early december according to reports in the industry.
I remember when Season 2 was rumored to be released last December too. That was only SLIGHTLY off. I'd be shocked if Season 3 was released until AT LEAST 6 months from now. I would sure love to be wrong though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks