What's new

The Simpsons 2/22/04 (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so how many of you knew what "octogenarian" was? :D

I had to look it up myself..."A person in their 80's"???? Why does this word exist? Does anyone use it?

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
No, but the first 15 minutes of that show was the funniest 15 minutes all season! Great simpsons!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

I did. Just like I know the definition of septagenarian.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I liked the explanation of how Maggie passed the tests. That was reasonable. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know now. :D But when would you ever use those words?

And this is the 2nd episode where they used Skinner to explain something as he was walking by (like in the episode where he told Lisa to name her new cat Snowball II)

(To the best of my recolection)
Lisa: "why do they call them field trips when you don't visit a field"
Skinner: "Last week we went to a battle field"

Or when Lisa was contemplating a soccer player and Skinner told her that she already did that.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I am one who has thought, in the past year and a half or so, the Simpsons had lost it.

But, this episode and last week's Millhouse episode are HILARIOUS!! Just classic Simpsons perfection.

I'm still laughing...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. I hate episodes where they mock previous moments of genuine emotion. 'The Substitute' episode was one of the show's high points. Otherwise the episode was pretty decent, but I those moments really disgust me.

The past few seasons have really made me sad. The show is a shell of it's former self. *Sigh*. This was my favorite show growing up. Now, I pretty much have stopped watching. The commercials are just plain unfunny, and it looks like the animation has changed. The colors are very bright. Nitpicky? Maybe, but still....

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
When you're describing someone who is in their 80s? Seriously, it's not in everyday usage, but it's not an uncommon word.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone notice the differences with the shading on the pillow on Lisas bed during the scene where she was talking to Homer in her room?

The pillow had a shadow on it. The first time they showed the pillow, the shadow was blended smothly from light to dark (i.e. something the computer would do well), but when they cut to Homer and then back to the pillow, the shadow was now a hard edged gradation (there were 3 variations from light to dark) like you'd see in hand drawn animation.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob

When my dad turned 70 earlier this month, I gave a toast at his party, "Well, as of today, it's official, you're no longer a sexagenarian...". :)

Rob

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Aye aye. For future reference:

Nonagenarian = 90s
Centenarian = 100s

Assuming the Simpsons stays on for another decade and Grandpa doesn't kick the bucket.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, but have you ever noticed that Apus' kids are the only simpson characters who have aged over the course of the series? They were babies a few years ago and now they are older than Maggie. :D

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Actually, it's septuagenarian.

The speak and spell is what had me gasping for air. Like:

"I ag-ree with your mo-ther, you are a dis-ap-point-ment to Huh-Oh-Muh-Eh-Er"

And while sleeping:

"Zee-Zee-Zee-Zee. Zee-Zee-Zee-Zee."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks