What's new

The Simpsons 02/02/03 - "worst episode ever"? (1 Viewer)

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I thought it was a rather humourous episode. But the real reason I continue to watch The Simpsons is because for the 30 minutes, I can pretend I am the same person who started watching all those years ago when they started on The Tracy Ullman Show. I was talking to a friend the other day and we both shared the same view, when The Simpsons finally are taken off the air, one of the last remaining images of our teen years will go away with it. :frowning:

Todd K

Second Unit
Fine. Stop watching.
Sad to say, I have.

I didn't mean to condemn anyone for still enjoying the Simpsons.

I was just trying to show some numbers that backed my particular point of view.

The show doesn't have the same type of humor of 8 to 10 years ago. Statements about which type of humor is "funnier" would be completely objective.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Was that Krusty vs. Tanya Harding Celebrity Boxing match actually in the show? I know it was on the commercial, but I don't remember actually seeing it in the show. Am I remembering correctly?

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Well, I think they're having a good year, mainly because they've backed away from those ludicrous Homer episodes of the past three or four years and brought the show back down to earth. The rock-camp show was pretty awful (after a good start), but every one I've seen since then has been good.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I thought the one where Marge got implants was pretty awful as well. I think they've realized they're pretty much out of Homer stories and are giving other characters a shot.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the last 3-4 years of the Simpsons--compared to the years 92-98--have stunk.

They are mostly full of just plain stupid jokes. Many centering around the toilet. Or crude & humorless ones (they used to be crude AND funny). And a lot of sexual innuendo has crept in--is Hustler a sponsor now?

Homer? He's become simply DUMB. Not funny dumb anymore, just dumb. Spewing too many crude and moronic observations that go nowhere & aren't funny. For me he's become akin to a "trailer park" character, someone you would see on a Jerry Springer episode.

Another big sign the show's quality is slipping: the constant parade of celebrities hosting the show to make up for lousy writing. Not just doing the voices, but actually IN the show. Am I supposed to be impressed by this?

Why haven't the characters aged, even a little bit? This show has been on, what, TWELVE years now!? Why not bump Bart to around 13-14 years old? A teen-aged character has loads of potentially funny situtations to get into.

Matt Groening & Co. need to hang it up--this show is now simply coasting on its reputation.

LJ

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Why haven't the characters aged, even a little bit? This show has been on, what, TWELVE years now!?
OMG, is that seriously supposed to be a criticism? The frozen-in-time aspect of the show is one of its foundations. What you're asking is akin to: "Why do all the Twilight Zone episodes have to be so weird?"

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Homer got electrocuted again in episode #300. That's 4 for 4 (Lisa's Diary / Squiggy's Taser / God's Lightning / Power Line). They really must be running out of ideas...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The "Seven Sisters" joke made it all worthwhile, at least for my girlfriend, who went to one of them. (Bryn Mawr)

BTW, according to her, they got that right. :b Unlike Mount Holyoke, which her sister said is about as far away from a party school as you can get...

Jason

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Oh sigh... The Simpsons is the only show where fanboy internet nerds actually create a frickin' site to RANK episodes....

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Another big sign the show's quality is slipping: the constant parade of celebrities hosting the show to make up for lousy writing. Not just doing the voices, but actually IN the show. Am I supposed to be impressed by this?
Celebrities started appearing as themselves in Season 2. So season 2 had "lousy writing"?

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Ahh, I remember the heady days of season 4... Back when fanboy internet nerds were saying that every episode in season 4 sucked, and that season 3 would always be the pinnacle of the series... And then season 5 came, and everyone hated it... And then season 6 came, and everyone hated it... Ad infinium...

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
----
Celebrities started appearing as themselves in Season 2. So season 2 had "lousy writing"?
A lot of shows have celebrities, but over the past few years The Simpson's has developed a dependence on constant celebrity appearances. In the off chance that theres not a celebrity on this weeks episode, you're pretty safe in guessing that there will be a celebrity in next weeks.

And the celebrities on The Simpsons often don't do anything anyway - they're there just for the name. If they actually do something then the whole story is built around their presence and it turns out even worse then todays average episodes. This dependence The Simpsons has built over the past few years is pathetic. Its as if they knew they were running out of good material so they decided to throw a celebrity in every episode to support themselves. Toss in all the BS Tony Hawk scenes you want, but it isn't working.

JQ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks