What's new

The Silent Partner (with Elliot Gould,Christopher Plummer) - who owns? any news? (1 Viewer)

SamSpade

Auditioning
Real Name
Bruce
I agree, Dion. I was very disappointed when I first heard the news about this release. I am very thankful for what we ended up getting.

I am hoping LG gets some decent sales numbers for what some would deem an "obscure" release. This film has a big cult following and I hope it grows based on this DVD.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This morning, with a little time to kill, I thought I'd do a side-by-side comparison of the old LaserDisc of THE SILENT PARTNER with the new DVD. My TV has the capability of placing images side-by-side at the same time, so with the old LaserDisc in the LD player and the DVD recorder playing the DVD, I synched them up and compared them.

First, I should report that, as I said above in my review, there is a lot more visual information on the sides of the widescreen picture than there was on the old pan'n'scan. That's still very true, but I also noticed that the LaserDisc presented a tiny bit more information top and bottom than could be seen on the DVD. It's nothing earthshaking, but for accuracy's sake, I felt it necessary to mention. I'm talking a really small amount here. Like in a close-up of Gould, you might see three designs on his tie on the DVD, but on the LaserDisc you can see three and a half. Based on viewing the film, as a whole on the DVD, it seems to me that it's presented the way the director intended.

One other note, for accuracy's sake, is that I finally connected the main menu's music to the movie. It's the section of score that occurs as Plummer is running out the door in his Santa suit after Gould releases the last bill from under the clip. So, it's a short section of frenetic music, atypical of the film's score in general.

Harry

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I actually saw this in the theatre 6 or 7 times when I was a little kid, for some reason the film got released 3 times in my area. I remember during one of the re-releases they had dubbed the sound of a heart beating on the soundtrack during one of the more tense scenes. I guess they were trying to make the film more exciting (very strange). I was a big SCTV fan at that time and was glad to see John Candy in the film even though he was almost unknown at the time.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
What better way to market your little-known 1978 crime thriller to 2007 mall monkeys than to pretend like it has something to do with a contemporary series? I think that I'm supposed to assume that the headless protagonists are Clooney, Pitt, and Damon.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Harry,

I'll probably save Santa for the back. I've been dabbling a little and here's what the front is shaping up like. Tried it in color at first, but I like it bettter in black and white. Still have lots of work to do...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It'll be the actual wrap-around cover that you "insert" into the keepcase. If that makes any sense to you. I'll try to have the finished version ready sometime next week. Got several things going on right now!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I saw most of those, but could not find anything in a suitable resolution.

Anyway, I abandoned the black and white version and am now finishing up this...

The Hi-res should be ready for download in a day or so.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who is interested, I went with a different title treatment.

Hi-res versions are ready for download...

You can download the standard size cover here.

Or the thinpak version here!

Hopefully, one or two of you will dig it.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Looks good, but how do I get it to print out at the full and proper size? The jpg viewer that comes with Windows XP has a print function, but the printed output is reduced a little in size. If I use what looks like the fuller option there, it crops off part of the picture, particularly the right edge of the landscape picture.

I used my scanner's printing function too (IPhotoPlus4), and that also wouldn't print out the full size without cropping something, though it did give me the full height I needed. I even tried telling the printer it had legal paper in there, and it still cuts off that right edge.

Any other suggestions?

Harry

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Harry,

You will need paper bigger than letter size. Glossy photo paper works the best, but its nearly impossible to find legal size photo paper. There are some work arounds and printing tips at the bottom of the About page at my site. And make sure you have nothing checked that would try to change the size (like borderless or print to fit media).

If you go with the thinpak, you may be able to use a letter sized sheet. Depends on your printer.

Good luck!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Ric, is there any chance of getting a hi-res version of your previous cover? I kinda like the "broken glass" letter treatment than the pyramid layout. It's not a big deal if you don't - both covers are light years better than what Lionsgate created.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't be a problem. Any other preferences? Do you want the main title in red like I have it or white? What about the tagline above the title (red or white?) And is the spine title ok? Want it for a standard size or a thinpak?

BTW, yesterday I came across my old VHS with the cartoon cover!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks