What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

The Silence of the Lambs Blu-Ray Review (Criterion)
The-Silence-of-the-Lambs-Clarice-and-Hannibal-1024x555.png

Crafted with a gift for capturing the layers of complex characters, investigative pursuit, and the tightening screws of tension, The Silence of the Lambs builds its effective psychological horror. It is mesmerizing cinema deserving of its five Academy Award wins, including for Best Picture, Best Actor (Anthony Hopkins) and Best Actress (Jodie Foster). Criterion’s release is a definitive presentation, with flawless audio and video, and near-complete collection of special features.

[review]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Because I'll support Criterion in most any way I can, I've already purchased this and it should be on its way shortly. That said, reading that it's a 4K 16-bit scan from the OCN...Criterion really need to get on the UHD bandwagon so I can buy this again from them.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Wish they had used the original poster art on the front cover, or at least maybe the old DVD art. IMHO the only thing that keeps the Criterion releases from being "perfect" is lack of the orig poster/ ad campaign artwork. With few exceptions, Criterion never uses the original artwork (occasionally it may appear inside or in a booklet, just not as cover art). In fact, I must admit I've found some of their recent cover art downright awful. Alas, I guess you can't have everything...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's currently $25 on Amazon as well. If you're only planning on buying a single title from the Criterion sale (which means you pay for shipping) the Amazon price works out to be about the same if you have Prime.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Wish they had used the original poster art on the front cover, or at least maybe the old DVD art. IMHO the only thing that keeps the Criterion releases from being "perfect" is lack of the orig poster/ ad campaign artwork. With few exceptions, Criterion never uses the original artwork (occasionally it may appear inside or in a booklet, just not as cover art). In fact, I must admit I've found some of their recent cover art downright awful. Alas, I guess you can't have everything...

I completely agree. Some of their covers are horrific---- case in point: CARNIVAL OF SOULS. What the hell was that? Don't get me wrong--- I love Criterion, but whatever money they're throwing at their cover artist(s) would be better spent acquiring/rights-clearing original theatrical poster art. This one detail prevents most of their editions from being truly definitive for me. Eureka!/Masters of the Cinema, on the other hand, typically kicks Criterion's ass in this regard.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
For not being the original poster art, I think Criterion usually does a nice job including on this one. By comparison, look at the garbage Photoshop covers being used by most studios...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
First catalog title in a while that I rushed home to, immediately unwrapped, and watched. Believe the quality hype. Audio and video is top notch.

It's incredible how well this holds up to repeated viewings over a span of years. Even when you know the twists and the outcomes, it frees you to pick up on little nuances you hadn't noticed before. Little tics and mannerisms in both Lecter and Clarice that you didn't notice before. These were two actors who earned their statues--even given the relatively "short" screen time for Hannibal. The fact that Hopkins' performance has embedded itself so deeply in film history and culture over the years just confirms that it's not how much screen time an actor is given, but what he does with it that should judge whether a performance is Oscar worthy.

Bonus treat? My flatmate and his fiancee had never seen it beginning to end (they're about 14 years younger than I am) and both thoroughly enjoyed it. She was fully creeped out by Hannibal, which says something given how she is in her late 20s and was raised in an era of Silence-inspired programs like CSI, Criminal Minds, True Detective S1, etc. Even then, Hopkins' performance chilled her.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
PS I’m watching the extras and Silence premiered on Valentine’s Day 1991. Hope some of you celebrated its anniversary today!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A staggeringly great transfer of a staggeringly great movie. I shan't be watching the extras because my experience in the past has been it always ruins the film for me. I don't want to know what this was or that was or alternate takes - it all cheapens the watching experience for me and I just steer completely clear and let the movie do its job.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It's incredible how well this holds up to repeated viewings over a span of years. Even when you know the twists and the outcomes, it frees you to pick up on little nuances you hadn't noticed before. Little tics and mannerisms in both Lecter and Clarice that you didn't notice before. These were two actors who earned their statues--even given the relatively "short" screen time for Hannibal. The fact that Hopkins' performance has embedded itself so deeply in film history and culture over the years just confirms that it's not how much screen time an actor is given, but what he does with it that should judge whether a performance is Oscar worthy.

I don't think the "complaints" about Hopkins' victory have to do with his performance - I think they have to do with the fact he got Best Actor when his screentime seems more in line with Best Supporting Actor.

I've never felt bothered that Hopkins got BA instead of BSA, mainly because his presence looms over the entire film - it really comes as a surprise to realize how few on-screen minutes he maintains!

But I do get the argument for BSA...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't think the "complaints" about Hopkins' victory have to do with his performance - I think they have to do with the fact he got Best Actor when his screentime seems more in line with Best Supporting Actor.

I've never felt bothered that Hopkins got BA instead of BSA, mainly because his presence looms over the entire film - it really comes as a surprise to realize how few on-screen minutes he maintains!

But I do get the argument for BSA...
I think Carlo is trying to say the same thing, but, he just didn't spell out that he was talking about BA when it came to screen time and performance.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've always been more of a fan of Manhunter than this film and always preferred Brian Cox as Hannibal. Still like this picture though and ordered it from Criterion. I have not seen it in many years and did not own it so this will be fun to revisit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks