What's new

THE SIEGE no longer being sold at Best Buy (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I went to Best Buy to get Blood Simple. I also wanted to buy The Siege, since it was selling cheap and due its similarities to last week's events. There were no copies availible, and I assumed that it was sold out due to high demand, but when I talked to a salesman, he said that all copies have been pulled from their shelves. Is this just a BB thing, or have other stores done the same thing? Or maybe this is Fox's doing. Perhaps Peter Staddon can elaborate.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 19, 2001 at 06:53 AM]

JerryW

Supporting Actor
It was still on sale at my BB (in Knoxville TN) 2 days ago. They had probably 40-50 copies of it... looks like they may have even stocked up on it last week.
Of course, I would hope they aren't trying to take advantage of this tragedy just so they can sell a few more DVDs, but you never know.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I've certainly been called cynical more than once, but even if BB wanted to cash in on the tragedy, I doubt they would have been able to get them in by the 17th with all flights cancelled and all the other problems we as a country were dealing with.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Nah, I wouldn't go THAT far. But, it may have been possible that that particular store put out all the copies that they had in stock in the belief/hope that there would high demand for that title. Again, it may not be true, but it did seem odd that they had more copies of that movie on the shelf than any other DVD, including the new releases.
------------------
September 11, 2001
"Those who died will always be remembered.
Those who killed will never be forgotten.
We who remain will not let it happen again."

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I work at Sam's Club and we had to pull the video assortment that included The Seige.The decision was made by our home office,not by 20th Century Fox.I beleive this goes for Wal-Mart as well.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Stupid. Just stupid. PC to the point of insanity.
icon13.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I think most people might have missed the fact that Richard Kim, the original poster, lives in Queens, NY. So I am not surprised in the least that the BB in Queens would pull The Seige from it's shelves.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
"The SIiege" is still being sold at the Best Buy in my area, so it was not a national descicion to pull it off the shelves.
Kip

bill lopez

Second Unit
I guess they'll be selling on EBAY at $100.
Nice going by pulling them off the shelf you turned it into a collector's Item.

Paul_L

Grip
While they are at it, they should probably pull The Peacekeeper, The Beast, Not Without My Daughter, and Rules of Engagement.
Disney probably would if they owned them. Any other suggestions?
------------------
Paul
butvv1.gif

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those issues where sensitivity and taste collide with commercial reality. But if someone wants to see a certain title, forbidding such becomes an awful lot like censorship.
Shortly after the Northridge earthquake, there was a run in video stores on the goofy Charlton Heston movie Earthquake. No one was screaming about insensitivity then.
But, again, this most current series of events is in a class all to itself.
What a dilemma.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm sure that this is a temporary decision and certainly understandable in light of recent events. IMO, it has nothing to do with being PC and more to do with being sensitive.
What's wrong with that?
confused.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand how pulling a film already released relates to sensitivity. It is not like Best Buy is advertising this title as this weeks special or anything along those lines. Nor do I think seeing this film on a shelf will cause anyone undo emotional strain compared to any other film involvong action/terrorists.
As said earlier if this was the case, then Best Buy needs to pull alot of other movies as well. How about Executive Decision? That film relates just as much to the tragedy. Or True Lies? That film has middle eastern terrorists. This is total nonsense if true, and another example of PC going too far in this country.
J

James D S

Screenwriter
So I am not surprised in the least that the BB in Queens would pull The Seige from it's shelves.
I am. That's just silly.
What does that movie have to do with the WTC attacks? Muslims are in other movies, they gonna pull all of them? Are they going to strike their presence from the Hollywood conscience as if they don't exist?
Terrorism makes for great movies. Great movies have been done using terrorism as a device.
When Princess Di was killed in the car crash, did the Brits pull all movies revolving around car crashes? Hope not, cause that would be silly too.
Just silly.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I was able to order "The Seige" from Netflix for only $7.99 thru Half.com. It will be used but for that price it should do the job.
BTW, when will "Earthquake" get a SE treatment? I have always love that movie since I was a kid and thought of it last Tuesday.
JohnG
patriot.gif

------------------

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to order "The Seige" from Netflix for only $7.99 thru Half.com.
Unfortunately, this will probably be the non-anamorphic no-DTS version. (Although, you may not care). Hopefully, you have a player that is not sensitive to mildy scratched rental discs.
Enjoy
[Edited last by Marc Alexander on September 19, 2001 at 06:36 PM]

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, I have noticed this too. When I bought Memento and Predator in DTS a couple of weeks The Seige was on the same $14.99 rack, I almost picked it up too. But decided to wait until later to pick it up. Well I was going to buy it yesterday when I bought my other movies, and yes Driven was one of them!, thanks Ron for the review! Anyway they had 0 copies of it. I was also wondering if they pulled it because of the recent cowardly attack. Also, off the subject of this thread but I heard that the new Arnold movie Collateral Damage was not going to be released now. Along with that they are cutting some parts of Spiderman out, recalling the Spiderman movie poster because it shows the twin towers in his eyes and delaying, maybe even cancelling PS2 highly awaited game Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty. I am at a loss as to why they would do this. I am very sensative and supportive to the people that have lost their lives. But by doing this, this is just saying to me that the terrorists that did these despising acts have won, they have altered Americas lifestyle and the way we live.
------------------
"I'm your Huckelberry"

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Either way, I feel it is stupid to be removing those movies, or the WTC from film / pictures.
They're doing just what the terrorist wanted them to. Removing our landmark and our heritage.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks