What's new

The **Show off your work** thread (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
This photo is over 5 years old now and I am still using all these enclosures in my new dedicated theater although some the drivers have changed!
The speakers are on the pics of my old theater at the bottom of the page!
Link Removed
Wes

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
Well, here is my input:
MainsLink Removed
CenterLink Removed
RearsLink Removed
All together after covering most speakers:
Link Removed
Link Removed

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
Thank you. Nice to be able to sell a condo in Fremont and buy a house in Manteca that costs less, is almost 3x in size and actually gives you a back-yard!
Gotta love California!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
How much are houses out there now? I had a co-worker that lives out in Manteca. He just got laid off a few weeks ago. My supervisor also lives in Tracy. They say its much more afordable but the comute to San Jose is long and heavy.

Do you work in the Bay Area?

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
Sunnyvale. I take the train, the Altemont Commuter Express almost every day. If your boss takes it, maybe I know him. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and we can talk more, without informing everyone else in this thread about our conversation! :)

What you mean you dont want everyone on the forum to know how much your house cost??? haha j/k

Guys, I am very envious of your diy speakers. I guess I need to invest in some equipment to build my own sub. I once saw a sub that looked like a endtable and the top was stained into a checker board. I loved it and so wish I could make something similar.

Some of you guys need to be selling this stuff. I've seen 2K speakers that dont look near as nice as a few peices on this thread.....of course I dont know how the diy speakers sound but imagine they sound good.

Congrats, you guys did some good work!!!
STEPHEN

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
It is easy to be partial to your own speakers. That said, mine are the best sounding speakers in the world!

Nah, I wouldn't say that, but I have been to CES two years in a row, and when my wife and I were in the Alexis Park Hotel, where all the smaller audio companies are located, with their speakers and tube amps and such, we listened to many speakers. Many of them, my wife listened and then after walking out, told me how much she hated the sound becuase they didn't mesh the tones correctly or the tweeter was too harsh or whatever. I guess I have a pretty tough critic in my corner. Seriously, you can build some speakers that easilly rival that of the major manufacturers. The thing that they have on their side is R&D. The thing they have going against them is that they are in it for profit. Us DIY'ers are in it for the sheer fun of it, and can spend lots of cash trying things out. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I wouldn't try to sell my speakers, unless I was building them myself, which means in my spare time, since I don't think it would support my other habits (wine, motorcycles, home theater). Also, the whole time thing would be against me. You could not walk into my house and tell me you want to order two pairs of speakers and walk out with them that day, you would have to wait two months!

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Mike, those new ones are WILD! I'd say yes, a bit unconventional ;) They obviously took lots of labor hours to make. Excellent, imaginative work - congratulations!
Brian, that's a beautiful French polish finish - very rare nowadays. You have the first pantyhose grills I've seen - good idea. Very nice work!

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
Very nice Darren. I had seen your other post, but now, you have some finish on it and it looks even better. Just out of curiosity, what are the outside dims on that? I ask because for some people, if they could make their sub blend with the furniture like yours could, they may be able to get the spouse to agree to that big-box sub much easier!

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi Scott,

The outside dimensions before applying the solid cherry parts was 24.5 X 22 X 30 tall before feet...I might be off by a half inch on the height. The cherry feet add 1.5 inches to the width and depth and the cherry top adds 3/4" to the height on top of the 4" increase of the feet so... the finished product is 26" X 23.5" X 34 3/4" tall. It's kind of deep and wide but would make a great stand for a larger plant, some display items like vases etc... it is VERY sturdy and solid. Weighs about 150 pounds or more and when in use putting out serious db's you can barely feel any activity placing your hand on the top. It would look really sweet if two were built and placed on either side of a TV or entertainment center assuming they didn't cancel each other in the room.

If you want exact dimensions I can measure tonight.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks