What's new

Custom Cover The Shootist (1 Viewer)

bronson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
Robert George: I will!

The Blu-ray is a DNR disaster. Nothing film-like. Faded colors etc....

That is what a German guy has posted on a German Forum regarding the Blu-ray. I translated it via google translation. Therefore sometimes the English is quite odd:)

You must hold Pidax already benefit that they give a John Wayne fan the opportunity to have the last movie on BluRay now. Whether the result really "BluRay-quality" has, that's another story.

In a nutshell summarized my impression:
Relatively smooth filtered and sharpened. HD details and film grain not really recognizable.
My first impression was: a very good upscaled DVD or a very old master.
Against upscaling speak normally but then details that at a DVD simply can not give it so.
This I really miss here. I just zapped a numerous times, but no job has me of a "real HD source" convinced.

In "The Shootist" is indeed criticized repeatedly that watching this movie already looks pretty after "TV Movie" when it comes to style, music, lighting etc. And that is why I am actually really looking forward to an HD version, which provides a bit of 35mm cinema feeling with corn and fine details. Unfortunately, both scarce.
The film is the latest and thus most recent starring John Wayne, would theoretically supply of all the films the best picture on BluRay.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I've skipped through this disc and it looks better than the DVD but suffers from artificial sharpening and other digital tinkering indicative of an old HD master.

MikeTV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The Shootist on Blu-ray may not be able to be compared to other versions of itself on Blu-ray, but it can be compared to a quality standard, and it seems quite apparent that it doesn't measure up. Sad news indeed, since "The Shootist" stands next to "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" as my favorite John Wayne movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks