What's new

The Shooting Party (1 Viewer)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
This excellent James Mason film has long been in need of a decent DVD transfer, as by all posts on Amazon.com the current one is nearly unwatchable.
According to DDDVD a new release is becoming available in October, this time released by Warner BBC, unlike the previous release. Since we know Warner can usually be counted on to issue quality discs, I'm in hopes that this time this movie will be treated with the respect it deserves, and is not the same old transfer. Does anybody have any information on this?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear.

That old DVD listed on Amazon is a bootleg. The company that released it has a habit of releasing questionable DVDs on Amazon with transfers that get terrible reviews. Basically just VHS-DVD transfers.

They released STAR STRUCK and that was pulled as soon as Blue Underground announced their release of it. I'm sure that old SHOOTING PARTY listing will get pulled soon.

walter o

Supporting Actor

Not to mention GIRLS NITE OUT, THE SEDUCTION, PARADISE (Phoebe Cates), SUPER FUZZ, SAVAGE STREETS, HIDE AND GO SHRIEK, etc,

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just ordered it.
This one has been on my list for a very long time!

Cees

PattyFraser

Second Unit
One thing I don't understand. Amazon is selling this new release for $13 and change whereas DDDVD has it for $23 and change. Now, I know prices aren't gonna always be the same, but this is bizarre. Is there a 2 discer coming or what's the deal? I'm waiting to pre-order mine till I find out more.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Patty,

I believe that the entry staing a price of $14.99 at Amazon is an older one, and in error. It's listed as $22.99 as a normal item and that is the previous bad transfer (the art work of that one looks suspicious too).

I ordered it at DVDPlanet, for $20.96.
Be-a-u-tiful art work!

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I never bothered buying the older release of which the transfer was reported as pathetic.

Are you sure it is in widescreen? I seem to remember 4:3, in which case it wouldn't be "done right" if it was widescreen. :)

But I may be wrong, of course.

Cees

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I saw it on A&E many years ago, and taped it. Of course, A&E only showed it in full screen. I haven't been able to find the OAR of this release on either IMDb, BarnesandNoble or Amazon.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Alas, I never saw it in the theater when it came out; I only know it from video (and was simply assuming . . .). So yes, Cees, absent some authoritative statement to the contrary, it's quite possible it wasn't a widescreen presentation.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find any further info on the IMDB, but it's possible that it was shot in widescreen but designed to be shown on 4:3 as well. If memory serves me correctly, The Shooting Party was originally commissioned by Film 4 (basically, the movie branch of the UK's Channel 4 which used to show movies on their channel after a limited theatrical run - e.g. My Beautiful Laundrette, The Draughtsman's Contract). It would thus be logical if the movie was shot with both TV and movie theatre in mind.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I remember seeing this not too long after the theatrical run on Channel 4 and it looked okay in 4:3 - the R2 is, BTW, listed as being anamorphic 1.78:1, which should look fine and would have been, near enough, the ratio it was shown theatrically in.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I just watched the new Warner BBC release of this movie. Believe what it says on the cover: stunning new digital restoration. It is, in fact gorgeous. The fine detail in the costumes and period room decor is beautifully vibrant on this disc. The autumn landscape is the beautiful fall color palette that sets the tone and theme of the film. If you have any problems understanding some of the speech of, for example the beaters ( I did, especially with Gordon Jackson) no worries--subtitles are available. And although there is no commentary, there is a very good retrospective of the movie, including information from the producer, the writer of the novel and the screen writer, as well as interviews with some of the few cast members who are still with us. Noticably missing, however, was Judi Bowker.
There is a brief tour of the house that stood in for Nettlby (the home of the hosts of the party) and a stills gallery, which is accompanied by some of the film's beautiful music.
Warner/BBC have done this movie proud. This is the DVD fans of this film have waited for while regretfully passing up that other unwatchable transfer. Enjoy.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Thanks for the update PattyFraser. I saw this film when it first came out, and though I have not seen it since then, I still remember specific scenes, and I never forgot what was a brilliant piece of filmmaking.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks, Patty!
Looking forward to watching it, mine arrived the day before yesterday.

This is one of those films I really have been waiting for for a very long time, I even didn't have a VHS-version.

I will always remember Gordon Jackson as the butler in Upstairs, Downstairs, which role, I'm sure, earned him this part between several really big stage names. He was in a long-running series on TV again in the seventies: The Professionals, which surprisingly appears to be hardly known in the US. Rough series, think The Limey.

The only time I ever saw The Shooting Party, was on television many years ago and I especially remember James Mason's performance in this one.

BTW, Gordon Jackson never struck me as very unintelligible, is he really here? Don't remember that, although his Scottish accent was unmistakable.
He certainly died too young, back in 1990.

Cees

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Not really unintelligible, just a few things I couldn't understand (I've got old ears!). One example is at the outdoor lunchen break from shooting, when Jackson refers to, I think it was the area where some deer were feeding. He says "it's the bracken up top they like." Since bracken isn't a word I hear much (at all!) and the sentence structure is the reverse of what we Americans would say I couldn't catch what he said at first. This happened occasionally, even though I watch many, many British movies and TV shows and should have been able to pick it up.
Incidentally, in answer to a previous question in this thread, I believe the aspect ratio is 1.78:1, although the box just says 16:9 enhanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks