What's new

Theatrical The Shining (1980)

TimDav

Auditioning
Title: The Shining

Tagline: He came as the caretaker, but this hotel had its own guardians - who'd been there a long time

Genre: Horror, Thriller

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Cast: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Scatman Crothers, Danny Lloyd, Barry Nelson, Joe Turkel, Anne Jackson, Barry Dennen, Tony Burton, Philip Stone, Lia Beldam, Billie Gibson, David Baxt, Manning Redwood, Lisa Burns, Louise Burns, Robin Pappas, Alison Coleridge, Burnell Tucker, Jana Shelden, Kate Phelps, Norman Gay, Paul Desbois, Vivian Kubrick, Derek Lyons, Alan Harris, Peter McNamara, Guy Standeven, Reg Thomason

Release: 1980-05-23

Runtime: 144

Plot: Jack Torrance accepts a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel, where he, along with his wife Wendy and their son Danny, must live isolated from the rest of the world for the winter. But they aren't prepared for the madness that lurks within.

Is there a DVD of the original "Shining" starring Jack Nicholson that is not in the 4:3 aspect? I hae checked occasionally, but have found no widescreen versions.

Thanks

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Long story, but chock it up to the director's approved version being 4:3 and not widescreen. Perhaps there have been widescreen releases on other regions, but I think Region 1/North America has always been 4:3.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jack Briggs said:
That's correct.

It was in 2003 when this was posted, but not now! The 2008 SE DVD was 1.85:1 - and so is the Blu-ray.

Yeah, I know it might seem lame to respond to a 12-year-old post, but I just wanted to put that info out there in case anyone happened upon the thread and didn't realize the then-correct comments were outdated! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Exactly one century ago today:
TheShining_1980_0673.jpg

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I got this film on UHD, and watched it for the first time in a while. The scene with Jack threatening Wendy with the bat on the stairs is the highlight of the film. Danny Lloyd was damn good for his age too. It felt long to me with this most recent viewing.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks