The Shining: What a freaky book!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeffrey Noel, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

I'm not through with the book, but damn is it ever freakin' me out. I just finished reading the chapters about room 217 and I had to get away from the book for awhile. My heart was racing, the quietness of the room started getting to me, and my breathing became more rapid. If that makes me a wuss, then so be it. But holy moly!

At first I was wondering why this book is acclaimed to be scary, but now I know. Sheesh! I don't want to go to sleep!!!

What's weird is I want recommendations for books to do this same thing to me. I guess I really like scary books!

Any suggestions?

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

When I read the Shining, I loved it. At first, I thought it was boring, but after about a quarter through, I couldn't put it down and finished it off during the weekend. It was just one of those books that was freaky, but you just wanted to read on to see what happens next.

I've read Dean Koontz's Tick Tock. I picked it up because it kinda reminded me of Chucky from Child's Play. There was a point where I was reading and then my phone rang and I jumped out of my seat. I can't reccomend the book though, because it falls apart near the last 50-100 pages. It's pretty bad since I really wanted to enjoy it, but the ending...uugghh.

Currently, I'm reading "Vampyhrric" by Simon Clark. It's a bit harder to find, but it pops up on ebay every now and then. The first 30 pages of the book is similar to The Ring in that it Clark tries to jam a bunch of errie images into your head without actually showing you what's happeneding to the victim. It even has a tape that the main character watches(both came out in 98 in case you're curious). So far, Clark seems like a pretty good author. Stephen King praised him, so he can't be that bad.

3. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

If you like The Shining I would highly recommend Dan Simmon's Summer of Night.

I always have to relate my The Shining anecdote when this book is mentioned. [​IMG] I was living in Colorado around the time the book was first published, and read it while living alone in a very small trailer during the dead of winter. Of course, I read it into the late night over several days while a howling snowstorm raged outside. To say that the 'atmosphere' increased the effect of the novel is an understatement.

- Walter.

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

That was the first scary book I ever read and because of that no book has scared me as much since. You have some good reading ahead of you but it was that part (rm 217) that really got the book started for me. When you are afraid to look away from the book because you sense something in the room with you, you know you are scared sh*tless. :b

As far as recommendations, I will second Ghost Story. I also used to read Dean Koontz and John Saul. I would recommend Intensity from Dean Koontz for a pretty wild ride. Not as flat out scary as The Shining, but very heart-pounding and suspenseful, like the title would suggest. A few more from Steven King that are pretty scary are Salem's Lot, IT, Pet Semetary, and possibly Cujo. A word of warning, in one of the only examples of where the movie is better than the book, stay away from Carrie, its kind of lame if you have seen the movie. Nothing is, or ever will be, spookier than Sissy Spacek, especially drenched in blood.

6. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

So, you want to be scared[​IMG], Well in light of recent events this book should scare anybody out of there skin The Cobra Event,[​IMG] but be warned it isn't for the weak of stomach.

james

P.S.

look behind you[​IMG]

edit: spellin'

7. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I just started reading this book last weekend. I'm a big fan of the movie and have always meant to get around to read the book. The only thing I can't shake is visualizing Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance. Not that its a bad thing, SK almost seems to have written the book knowing that JN was going to play JT in the movie.

Phil

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I think The Shining was actually the first book I ever read all the way through(at 21 years old) and I really liked it. I remember after I would read a chapter or so I would be scared, I had to stop and close my closet door behind me once before I could continue. lol.

Misery is good too, a lot more grusom than the movie.

9. James E

if you don't mind mass market paperback Vampyhrric .

10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I second James' recommendation for "The Cobra Event". Wow -- what a book!

It's been about 20 years since I read "The Shining", but I remember vividly how wrapped up I was in the novel and finishing it about 4:00 in the morning. I don't remember if it came after where Jeffrey is in the book now, but the topiary
    scene was particularly scary.

11. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

I would recommend Koontz if you are into intense books (as someone already aptly mentioned, including "Intensity" which was a good Lifetime/Oxygen movie with John C. McGinley) Anyhow...King's other shorter (relatively) books, like "Pet Sematary", "Misery"...are good for taut reading. Whereas "The Stand," "It"...are more gradual, or plodding some may say.

Nothing better than finding a book that can cause such a stir of emotions in you, regardless of what those emotions may be (horror, sorrow, anger, happiness).

Chris

12. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I have some spooky news for you Jeffrey, just in case you were about ready to go back to sleep. The hotel that Stephen King based the Shining on is a real hotel here in Colorado! It is up in Estes Park, called the Stanley Hotel. The creepiest part is it is supposed to be actually haunted and there is a room 217 that is haunted as well! Stephen King was travelling through the area and stayed there in room 217 (I am totally serious) when he had the 'inspiration' to write The Shining. Not sure if he stayed there the whole time he wrote it, or just had the inspiration, there is a plaque there dedicating it to his stay.

They have ghost tours up there at night, wife and I took one for fun. Let me tell you, I didn't actually see any ghosts, but a whole lot of freaky stuff went down on that tour. It is a functioning hotel, you can even book and stay in THE room 217 if you dare. Probably a waitng list though. Let me tell you man, that place is creepy!

If you ever want to see it, watch the Shining TV movie they just made. Stanley Kubrik used a different place for his movie, but the recent TV one was at the real hotel (at least the outside was.)

Here's an URL for the Stanley:

http://www.stanleyhotel.com/

They don't mention the ghosty bits on the website that I can find, but believe me that place can give you the willies! Can't wait to stay there someday (217?) [​IMG]

13. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I remember back during the summer '83 I read through most King books available at the time.

I was reading The Shining late at night, alone in our big game room. The room was dark except for the light by which I was reading.

I reached the point in the book where Jack and Wendy hear the elevators moving.
    I literally heard that noise vividly in my head. I decided right there I had read enough for one night.

14. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

I would highly recommend Pet Semetary by SK. The book was the freakiest book that I've read to date, although the movie that followed was nothing more than a B-grade slasher movie.

I used to read a lot of Dean Koontz, but I learned to never get scared because the books I've read have always had a happy ending for all of the main characters. This is not true with Stephen King.

15. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is a reason he is the most successful novelist of all time.

I read The Shining, The Stand, and It over and over. The man should spend time in jail for the crimes he commited on my heart many a dark and quiet night.

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i really want to read the shining, but the movie (kubrick's movie of course) is among my very favorite movies. if i read it, do you think i will think of the movie? jack nicholson's performance isnt exactly forgettable. i dont want to read the book and constantly think of the movie. i did it with fight club successfully, i didnt care much for that book though. i need something to freak me out, i'll be getting over seeing eraserhead in about a week or so. freaky. i just finished fahrenheit 451, i thought it was pretty good. i may pick up the shining used on amazon anyway, its prob pretty cheap used.

CJ

17. Chris Knox

Chris Knox Stunt Coordinator

Dude,

Get the book. You will be putting the actors you saw from the film on the faces of those in the book. That is a human quirk that you cannot get around very easily (if at all). But it simply doesn't matter.

King's book is light years beyond what the Kubrik's work ended up being. This isn't to dog Kubrik's work, there simply is no real effective way to evoke the horror that King so successfully manages to inject into us. Film is film and books are books.

But you must read The Shining if you want to know just how great King's writing can be. Lush, vivid characters that fly off the page. The terror scenes are fifth gear and excuse me for being crude, but it is neccessary to describe the feeling: Your asshole will shrivel to the size of an inner tube valve throughout several passages in that book. The first half of the book is full of mundane things, but he writes them so well that they become important things to you. You forget about the horrors to come.

I doubt you could find many people in this forum that would not recommend the book over the movie.

18. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

The Shining was a book!?! [​IMG]

I dig all of Steven Kings books.

19. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Danny in the cement ring always freaked me out! There are SO many little things in that book that I tend to forget until I pull the book out and read it again, which I try to do about every 5 or 6 years (yeah, I'm that old!).

20. James E

Elizabeth, Thanks for backing me up on "The Cobra Event", i still get shivers every time i see one of those old merry go rounds

james